"Remember me" not working

BobTBobT Big grinsPosts: 44Registered Users Big grins
edited December 1, 2016 in Bug Reporting
The "Remember me" function on login doesn't work. I assume the problem is that I'm using Microsoft Edge as the browser. It has been like this for quite a while. Is there any intension to fix it?

Comments

  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 12,316Administrators moderator
    edited September 25, 2016
    Same with Chrome in the last couple of weeks. I've had to log in with every new visit despite the Remember Me being checked.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,465Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team SmugMug Employee
    edited September 25, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Same with Chrome in the last couple of weeks. I've had to log in with every new visit despite the Remember Me being checked.

    Which Operating System are you on? When you say "Ever new visit" -- how frequently is that? Every few hours? Every 24 hours? Every time you restart your computer?
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 12,316Administrators moderator
    edited September 25, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    Which Operating System are you on? When you say "Ever new visit" -- how frequently is that? Every few hours? Every 24 hours? Every time you restart your computer?

    Oh, very old Mac 10.x but with new Chrome browser. Twice a day visit to my site, usually. The Computer is shut down and upon reboot, my SM site needs the login.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • FergusonFerguson Major grins Posts: 1,249Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 25, 2016
    What is the EXPECTED behavior. I find it very erratic how long it will remember me, but I never know if there's some expected duration. It also seems to matter what you are doing; even when logged in selecting some options require another login confirmation, I get that. No problem.

    But how long should the standard level login "last" on a system?
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 470Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 25, 2016
    I've been getting the same sort of forgetful behavior on both Firefox and Chrome under Windows 7. Since I use a password manager, I tend to scoot through the re-login mindlessly and I don't have a precise memory of how often I do so. It seems like I'm re-logging-in maybe once or more each day on each browser. I shut down at least nightly.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,465Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team SmugMug Employee
    edited September 25, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    What is the EXPECTED behavior. I find it very erratic how long it will remember me, but I never know if there's some expected duration. It also seems to matter what you are doing; even when logged in selecting some options require another login confirmation, I get that. No problem.

    But how long should the standard level login "last" on a system?

    Regular website behavior (browsing, commenting, uploading, editing gallery settings, customizing) should be every 30 days.

    Accessing Account Settings is every 24 hours, since it's more security related.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • BobTBobT Big grins Posts: 44Registered Users Big grins
    edited September 25, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    Which Operating System are you on? When you say "Ever new visit" -- how frequently is that? Every few hours? Every 24 hours? Every time you restart your computer?
    I'm on Windows 10 64bit with Edge as the browser. I log in with the "Remember me" box clicked, log out and immediately log in again and it has forgotten me.
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 470Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 25, 2016
    Just for grins, I ran an experiment with Firefox 49.0.1 on Win 7 Pro SP1. To start, I opened Firefox, moved to SmugMug, discovered I was not logged in, logged in (via my password manager), and closed the browser. At step 2, I re-opened Firefox, moved to SmugMug, discovered I was logged in, and closed Firefox. Then Step 3. I re-opened Firefox, moved to SmugMug, discovered I was NOT logged in anymore, logged in, and closed Firefox. If I now reopen Firefox, I'm back to Step 2 and can repeat the Step 2 - Step 3 iteration indefinitely (well, I went through five cycles). It seems like deterministic behavior, alternating logged in - logged out status, not anything pseudo-random. In these tests, when I was in SmugMug, I didn't do anything. I just arrived and left from the home page. So I tried the experiment again, but this time moving off the home page to another page and then to gallery, before closing the browser. I get the same deterministic cycles. This time I stopped the experiment after three.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 470Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 25, 2016
    Same behavior with Chrome 53.0.2785.116 m. (With the one variation that SmugMug is my homepage in Chrome so I don't have to move there.)
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 470Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 25, 2016
    Tried it on Chrome with the password manager turned off (so I had to enter the password manually). Same behavior. It's not an interaction there.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,537Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 26, 2016
    If it was me I would delete all Smugmug related cookies. There might be one that has some corruption.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 470Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 26, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    If it was me I would delete all Smugmug related cookies. There might be one that has some corruption.

    Excellent suggestion, but unfortunately, deleting cookies didn't change anything. I got the cycles right back.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,465Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team SmugMug Employee
    edited September 27, 2016
    BobT wrote: »
    I'm on Windows 10 64bit with Edge as the browser. I log in with the "Remember me" box clicked, log out and immediately log in again and it has forgotten me.

    If I understand correctly, you're using the "Log Out" option, and then looking for it to remember you?
    Jtring wrote: »
    Just for grins, I ran an experiment with Firefox 49.0.1 on Win 7 Pro SP1. To start, I opened Firefox, moved to SmugMug, discovered I was not logged in, logged in (via my password manager), and closed the browser. At step 2, I re-opened Firefox, moved to SmugMug, discovered I was logged in, and closed Firefox. Then Step 3. I re-opened Firefox, moved to SmugMug, discovered I was NOT logged in anymore, logged in, and closed Firefox. If I now reopen Firefox, I'm back to Step 2 and can repeat the Step 2 - Step 3 iteration indefinitely (well, I went through five cycles). It seems like deterministic behavior, alternating logged in - logged out status, not anything pseudo-random. In these tests, when I was in SmugMug, I didn't do anything. I just arrived and left from the home page. So I tried the experiment again, but this time moving off the home page to another page and then to gallery, before closing the browser. I get the same deterministic cycles. This time I stopped the experiment after three.
    Are you using a custom domain or logging in from your nickname.smugmug.com or smugmug homepage? Custom Domains are a little tricky and it usually helps to fully load another page for the cookie to stick.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 470Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 27, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    Are you using a custom domain or logging in from your nickname.smugmug.com or smugmug homepage? Custom Domains are a little tricky and it usually helps to fully load another page for the cookie to stick.


    I don't have a custom domain. I'm just working with my homepage on jtringl.smugmug.com.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • FergusonFerguson Major grins Posts: 1,249Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 27, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    Regular website behavior (browsing, commenting, uploading, editing gallery settings, customizing) should be every 30 days.

    Accessing Account Settings is every 24 hours, since it's more security related.

    So it's every 30 days, not after 30 days without a login, right?

    I know there are periods where it is much more frequent than 30 days even since last login, but maybe there is more to it on my end. But thanks.
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 470Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 18, 2016
    I'd just like to follow-up that the behavior I reported on September 25 has proven to be completely reliable and repeatable in both Firefox and Chrome under Win7.

    • If I'm logged out of SmugMug when I bring it up and then log in, I find I'm still logged in when I return the next time. (Return = close the browser without logging out of SM, re-open the browser later, and move to SM. There may or may not be reboots or shut-downs between steps; it doesn't matter.)
    • If I'm logged in when I bring SmugMug up, I find I'm logged out when I return the next time.

    Is this just a quirk of my system or do others see this pattern?
    It would seem if this really is a repeatable pattern across users, there should be a squash-able bug behind it.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • FergusonFerguson Major grins Posts: 1,249Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 1, 2016
    I'm not sure about the cycle described above, but I have been watching this for a while, and you definitely do not stay logged in 30 days. I've had it log me out today twice, and I'm talking about just owner level access to galleries (e.g. share a link), not going into account settings or anything sensitive.

    It's not a big deal, but I am sure there's some sequence of very normal use that causes one to be logged out. I am not clearing cookies or anything like that either.

    Again, not a big deal, but there is something inconsistent. FWIW am using Chrome on W10x64.
Sign In or Register to comment.