Should Dgrin allow signatures?

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
edited December 6, 2016 in Dgrin Forum Support

This is a hotly debated topic on nearly every forum in existence. Some people love signatures, some hate them. Signatures make it easier for spammers to get links past the filters, but also make it easier for people to find your portfolio.

They can also clutter up the interface, making it harder to find the content in the posts.

Vote away.

Smug since 2003

Should Dgrin allow signatures? 30 votes

No signatures please!
20% 6 votes
Yes to signatures!
80% 24 votes

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I think that this poll needs more options than yes or no.

In my opinion limited signatures should be allowed. Name, website, maybe gear list, that kind of thing. I really do not care for the large images that some people on forums use. Maybe put a minimum post count to be able to use one. Maybe even have it "approved" by the mods before implementing.

In some sections like the customization section it is a valuable tool. It also helps users to get inspired by other photographers.

I get the spam thing, it is a pain in the butt for any mod to deal with. If it ends up being a hard no, I'll get over it, but I would prefer a limited sig line.

Steve

Website
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee

Honestly, the main reason it only has two options is that we aren't going to go super big and obnoxious on signatures no matter what the results are. No images for instance.

We'll see what the people want.

Smug since 2003
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 7, 2016

Any way to get a linked photo site (from one's profile) up in the banner on the top of each post?

Thus, we'd be responsive to those desiring site promotion (and only their own photo site promotion -- limit=1) and not have the possibility of unwanted intensely ugly and spammy signatures.

If that is impossible, perhaps a "footer" in posts (in place of where a sig would go) accomplishing the same thing? Though that would also be a sort of signature.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@David_S85 said:
    Any way to get a linked photo site (from one's profile) up in the banner on the top of each post?

Maybe? I'll have to look.

Smug since 2003
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins

Can you imagine the number of pissed off newbies that want you to check out their site if they can't post a site link?
    Or someone that needs help and no link available?

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins

The huge text size in these posts is ugly.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • shandrewshandrew Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 33 SmugMug Employee

Modern forums tend to avoid signatures because they're loud, repetitive, and break the flow of discussions. Links to your site are usually kept a click or two away in profiles

I work at SmugMug but these opinions are usually my own.

Yeah, I personally engage in multiple forums... and can't stand signatures. They get in the way of content and discussion.

Smug since 2003
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

As it is right now the portfolio URLs that can be set in the profile do not appear to be visible.

I have no problem with clicking on the poster's icon to see their URL. I just want to be able to see the site links.
    If the URL can be made (easily) visible without a signature, that works for me.

Denise, I can see your photo site in your profile. Yet, it is not a link.

My Smugmug
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 7, 2016

@David_S85 said:
    Denise, I can see your photo site in your profile. Yet, it is not a link.

Thanks David. That was a change - it wasn't showing earlier. I've corrected my profile link now to include the http:// to make it a link.

edited December 7, 2016

And the HTML link works! I'll do that with mine too. Yea!

My Smugmug
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

I've been used to listing some of the useful links in my signature, so I would like to see that continue.

• JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2016

The signature was central to the way I had my presence on Dgrin set up. It was the only place my full name showed. When I set the Dgrin account up years ago, I unwisely chose an abbreviated name as my user name, and later discovered there was no way to change it. Still isn't. And as far as I can tell, there is no mechanism to insert additional information in one's profile either ... so the sig has to be the place.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Jester243Jester243 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins

I miss the signatures, it was a quick way to look at others sites and get ideas for design

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@shandrew said:
    Modern forums tend to avoid signatures because they're loud, repetitive, and break the flow of discussions. Links to your site are usually kept a click or two away in profiles

Personally I've never been a fan of doing what everyone else does just because someone thinks it's "modern". For me far less "modern" is having to click more than once to get where I want to go.

One has to consider the point of the forum - this forum is explicitly for those of us who are interested in sharing our photos and those links are a key way for us to share. I often click on others' links to quickly check out their site and I can almost guarantee that I (and probably many others) will not do this if we have to click one or two more times.

@sarasphotos said:
    One has to consider the point of the forum - this forum is explicitly for those of us who are interested in sharing our photos and those links are a key way for us to share. I often click on others' links to quickly check out their site and I can almost guarantee that I (and probably many others) will not do this if we have to click one or two more times.

I agree. It's not intuitive to click on a name/photo then click on a link, and that is if the person puts in the http to actually make it a link.

Until Denise brought up the portfolio link, it didn't even cross my mind the go looking for it.

Steve

Website
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 7, 2016

Perhaps there's a way to have a widget that displays under the avatar. It would say "Portfolio" or maybe just "Pics" but would link to the portfolio address given in the profile. That would make it more visible to the visitor while avoiding the distractions of signatures. I'm accustomed to clicking on a user avatar or name to get to more info, so the one extra click of the way it's working now doesn't bother me. What used to bother me a lot, though, were attention grabbing and spammy sigs.

@Richard said:
    Perhaps there's a way to have a widget that displays under the avatar. It would say "Portfolio" or maybe just "Pics" but would link to the portfolio address given in the profile. That would make it more visible to the visitor while avoiding the distractions of signatures. I'm accustomed to clicking on a user avatar or name to get to more info, so the one extra click of the way it's working now doesn't bother me. What used to bother me a lot, though, were attention grabbing and spammy sigs.

Now that is a good idea.

Steve

Website
  • everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins

First of all, wow! I was wondering why yesterday I suddenly started receiving email notifications of EVERY post in a thread I had participated in. I didn't know the site had been completely overhauled. Looks like I'm going to have to adjust some settings. I haven't spent much time here, but I would like to I think.

As for signatures, I think they should be allowed, with rules limiting their size to something reasonable and other guidelines as necessary (like the number of links, perhaps).

Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

I think the idea that you disallow signatures because you can't control them better shows a complete lack of either (a) faith in, or (b) your abilities in technology. Don't like how people do signatures, put technical restrictions on to prevent it (links, specific types of links, font size, photos, etc.)

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Yes, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, we are constrained by the capabilities of the software we are using. Our customization powers are limited.

Seems pretty clear. I've turned Signatures back on, but obviously we'll need to tweak styling some as we didn't code for that at all. Bear with me as they remain ugly for a bit. :grin:

Smug since 2003
  • Jester243Jester243 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins

@Ben said:
    I've turned Signatures back on :grin:

Thank you!

• Bobcat132Bobcat132 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    That is great news. As Ben says, styling is important here.