DGrin is Now on Vanilla Forums

Comments

• ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins

I have vertigo and I can't get out of a tilting-sideways position. ... Quick question to help - how do I switch to a light theme? Tilting in the dark is not so fun. Wow, what a change.

Another quick question: where is Advanced Search?

I keep thinking I'm done with questions until I try to go on. lol. How can I sort the main It's this page I refer to: http://dgrin.com/discussions

@ChancyRat said:
    I keep thinking I'm done with questions until I try to go on. lol. How can I sort the main discussion page by most current thread first? It's this page I refer to: http://dgrin.com/discussions

@ChancyRat said:

@ChancyRat said:
    I keep thinking I'm done with questions until I try to go on. lol. How can I sort the main discussion page by most current thread first? It's this page I refer to: http://dgrin.com/discussions

HAH: Editing to say I found the time of day in a faint grey shadow. :) Looking forward to a light theme.

Next question: Will posts to threads that we have starred, show up in email without our having to be logged in to the forum? (Pah-leeeese. :)

• BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee

Hey @ChancyRat! Let me take a stab at a few of these.

For one, there isn't a light theme (yet?). Someone mentioned a full screen mode I think, that was in white. I haven't found that yet, and haven't gone looking.

The mobile theme is light, I wonder if there is a way to force mobile on desktop. I'll poke around to see about that.

Advanced search can be found by just trying to search with a blank field, or by bookmarking this link.

Not sure how (or if you can) sort the discussions page. If I find out, I'll let you know! Still so much to learn... I feel like we are barely crawling right now. :grin:

Smug since 2003
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2016

@Ben said:

For one, there isn't a light theme (yet?). Someone mentioned a full screen mode I think, that was in white. I haven't found that yet, and haven't gone looking.

Click the double arrow in the upper right corner of the "Post Comment" window, it opens full screen in light theme.
    Think that is what Denise was referring to. On full screen there's a light/dark toggle circle in upper right. Looks like moon phase 1st quarter.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog

@Ben said:

Advanced search can be found by just trying to search with a blank field, or by bookmarking this link.

Great find!

@Allen said:

@Ben said:

Click the double arrow in the upper right corner of the "Post Comment" window, it opens full screen in light theme.
    Think that is what Denise was referring to. On full screen there's a light/dark toggle circle in upper right. Looks like moon phase 1st quarter.

Hmm, hi Allen! By "post comment", you mean the blue icon second in the row of 6, to the right of the red exclamation mark. (Has anyone noticed that hovering over the blue comment icon generates no text definition? The other icons, hover does pop up text.) Yes, I see that is white, which is great. Since the double arrow goes back and forth between dark and light, I assume "light for all the site" is soon to come.

@ChancyRat said:

@Ben said:

Great find!

Uh oh, one can only search back one year? That will expand to infinity, correct?

edited December 8, 2016

@ChancyRat said:

@Allen said:

@Ben said:

Hmm, hi Allen! By "post comment", you mean the blue icon second in the row of 6, to the right of the red exclamation mark. (Has anyone noticed that hovering over the blue comment icon generates no text definition? The other icons, hover does pop up text.) Yes, I see that is white, which is great. Since the double arrow goes back and forth between dark and light, I assume "light for all the site" is soon to come.

At the bottom of all posts down below is the box where type in a new post/comment.

@Allen said:

@ChancyRat said:

@Allen said:

@Ben said:

At the bottom of all posts down below is the box where type in a new post/comment.

At the very very bottom of any page is the "add new comment" box, that doesn't tie to any earlier post.
    The blue icon in the set of icons underneath EACH post is the "reply" button. I think. That's how I'm posting this comment, for example.

@ChancyRat said:

@ChancyRat said:

@Ben said:

Great find!

Uh oh, one can only search back one year? That will expand to infinity, correct?

The date range is how close to whatever date you want to search. You can search back forever. But if you choose 1 year, it will search within one year of whatever you choose next. For instance: 1 year from 12/25/15 would search one year forward or back from last Christmas. Make some sense?

Smug since 2003
    edited December 8, 2016

@Ben said:

@ChancyRat said:

@ChancyRat said:

@Ben said:

Great find!

The date range is how close to whatever date you want to search. You can search back forever. But if you choose 1 year, it will search within one year of whatever you choose next. For instance: 1 year from 12/25/15 would search one year forward or back from last Christmas. Make some sense?

No. (Gulp). No make sense. I don't want to date-limit. I just want to search a term and/or author. But the system makes one choose a limiting date in some fashion. Right?

@ChancyRat said:

@Ben said:

@ChancyRat said:

@ChancyRat said:

@Ben said:

Great find!

No. (Gulp). No make sense. I don't want to date-limit. I just want to search a term and/or author. But the system makes one choose a limiting date in some fashion. Right?

Hmm, seems it. Though I guess you could limit it to within a year from last december. That gives you this year and last year, which is a decent range all things considered.

Smug since 2003

@ChancyRat said:

@Ben said:

@ChancyRat said:

@ChancyRat said:

@Ben said:

Great find!

Okay, I hadn't tried leaving that last field blank, so this time I did, and it did generate results. One cannot see any data on the results (number of results), nor filter the results, the way the old forum could. It's not efficient to try paging through to see numbers of pages or older dates. Hopefully this DOES search infinity of time (leaving that last field blank), and, further filtering tools or data results will be added to the search tool. :)

Maybe a separate thread could be started regarding the advanced search function. I searched for the word "bulk", and it took about 20 seconds to populate an answer, which makes sense to me given the term, but, it took 15 seconds to go to page 2 of the results (3 tries, same timing). That's odd, right?

@ChancyRat said:
    Maybe a separate thread could be started regarding the advanced search function. I searched for the word "bulk", and it took about 20 seconds to populate an answer, which makes sense to me given the term, but, it took 15 seconds to go to page 2 of the results (3 tries, same timing). That's odd, right?

I honestly don't know. Depends on things like how they are indexing a LOT of posts and content. Might just be slow because they've only had our database for a day. Might be slow because it's just lame. I guess some of this we'll figure out!

Smug since 2003

On the "I'm impressed" side, the advanced search will find words of 2 characters. My try was "xy" and it found results. On the, "but can this be changed" side, a search for "red" brought up "powered" and "considered". Don't know if there is any system that could ignore these in favor of just "red".

More changes! We've widened the page (hopefully obvious!), and with that extra space we've added more content on the discussions pages like who started the thread and how many replies and views it has.

Smug since 2003
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

Hey, wide page, not sure where you landed on text size but very readable. Nice.

@Ferguson said:
    Hey, wide page, not sure where you landed on text size but very readable. Nice.

I'm still here, plugging away! Step by step, we'll make it better. :smiley:

Smug since 2003

Oops, I clicked this thread with " 3 new" indicator but was taken to very last post. So I had to scroll back up to see them.
    No good. Should take me to first "not viewed" post.

• JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

@Allen said:
    Oops, I clicked this thread with " 3 new" indicator but was taken to very last post. So I had to scroll back up to see them.

I'm seeing the same thing. Something's changed.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

Nothing's change (as far as I can tell, or am aware) for the latest stuff. If you hover over a post link, you'll see it say #latest at the end of the link. That should take you to the last new post, and seems to be doing that for me.

It may not be perfect, I'm not sure. But it seems to still be working for me.

Smug since 2003
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2016

@Ben said:
    Nothing's change (as far as I can tell, or am aware) for the latest stuff. If you hover over a post link, you'll see it say #latest at the end of the link. That should take you to the last new post, and seems to be doing that for me.

But at least for a while, when you clicked the thread link, it took you to the first unread post rather than the latest one, just as you described here last night.
    (Edited to clean up link.)

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

@Jtring said:

@Ben said:

But at least for a while, when you clicked the thread link, it took you to the first unread post rather than the latest one, just as you described here last night.

That's what I am saying I am seeing with #latest right now. Unfortunately, I am out of unread threads at the moment... but I'll keep investigating. It seems to be working exactly that way for me though, as of the last unread thread I checked. :grin:

Smug since 2003
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@Allen said:

Worked for me. I was taken to your post, the very last post that I read.

The only reasonable way I've found to view posts I have not seen is use "Recent Discussions". I only monitor the Support forums. I keep reloading the page to see any "new" posts. After all "new" are read I click "Mark All Viewed" at top of page.

One problem, there is no indicator what threads I've posted in on any category page. Only if I started the thread, now that you enabled that. That means I probably will never see a reply.