DGrin is Now on Vanilla Forums

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 8, 2016

Pages =( (replies+1)\30) + 1
    Or in other cultures, 1, 2, many ...
    :D

The mouseover in the Replies column gives the number of replies. Shouldn't it give the number of views instead?

• BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee

Okay, a new round of tweaks. We've cleaned up the discussions and categories pages primarily!

Smug since 2003

@Richard said:
    The mouseover in the Replies column gives the number of replies. Shouldn't it give the number of views instead?

Man, you think I am some kind of wizard?!

Smug since 2003
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

Testing manually adding code:
    `
    /**

• Hides Logo/Nav on Homepage
      *********************************************/
      .sm-user-ui .sm-page-node-rxLvn .sm-page-layout-region-header{
      display: none;
      }
      `
    edited December 8, 2016

@Hikin' Mike said:
    `
    /**

• Hides Logo/Nav on Homepage
      }
      `

I guess the Markdown isn't working. Tried to add the backticks manually and it didn't work. Adding it by clicking on the 'Code' text works though.

/**
    * Hides Logo/Nav on Homepage
        }

@Hikin' Mike said:

For multi-line code, use three of the code markers at the beginning and end with markdown, instead of just one. One works great for short segments, three works great for multi-line. Like so:

/**

Hides Logo/Nav on Homepage
    }

Smug since 2003

@Ben said:

@Hikin' Mike said:

For multi-line code, use three of the code markers at the beginning and end with markdown, instead of just one. One works great for short segments, three works great for multi-line. Like so:

/**

Hides Logo/Nav on Homepage
    }

Ah, got it. Thanks!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Someone said they could get to the latest post in a thread by clicking on the date stamp. I can't get there from here. I can get to look at what people have posted only by clicking on the title of the thread. I can't click on the ## new posts. I can't get there by clicking on the time that some posted (I just get to their page). How do I do it?

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

I'm feeling stupid.

I see how I can mark all read. I see how I can mute (not 100% sure what that does).

But where can I view ONLY unread in some fashion? There's no indicator (that I noticed) under categories, and discussions is still showing lots of stuff even after I mark it read.

What am I missing -- what good is "mark read"? It must affect some display, some where?

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2016

@Ferguson said:
    I'm feeling stupid.

I see how I can mark all read. I see how I can mute (not 100% sure what that does).

But where can I view ONLY unread in some fashion? There's no indicator (that I noticed) under categories, and discussions is still showing lots of stuff even after I mark it read.

What am I missing -- what good is "mark read"? It must affect some display, some where?

Go to the top of any page. Click Discussions in the top menu.
    You'll land on the "Recent Discussions" page. All threads with new posts will show on this page. I click "Mark All Viewed" at top every so often.
    Refresh page to see new postings.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@grandmaR said:
    Someone said they could get to the latest post in a thread by clicking on the date stamp. I can't get there from here. I can get to look at what people have posted only by clicking on the title of the thread. I can't click on the ## new posts. I can't get there by clicking on the time that some posted (I just get to their page). How do I do it?

I have found that after the initial change over to here, any post I clicked on for the first time would put me at the beginning of the thread. Then I would go to the page numbers and click the very last number, and that would get me to the last page of a thread. I found that every visit to that same thread afterward, would automatically take me to the lastpage I had viewed on the previous time. If I haven't been to the thread in awhile and it was quite active, and I didn't have interest in going though loads of pages, I would again use the page numbers to get to the last page. Most of the time, I'm not too far from the last post. I hope this helps.

edited December 9, 2016

@Ferguson said:
    I'm feeling stupid.

There's no filter that allows you to only see unread discussions, though it might be nice to have one.

There's a minor gotcha in the mark all read function. Discussions with unread posts appear on the main discussions page with a little green New box. Press the mark all read button and nothing seems to happen, but when you reload the page, the green boxes will be gone. It took me a while to figure that out, as I would have expected the reload to happen automatically. I think once you get used to it, it won't be much of a problem.

@Ben said:

@Richard said:

Man, you think I am some kind of wizard?!

Absolutely! But if it wasn't you, maybe you could find the guy who made it work that way in the vB version and buy him a beer or something. :)

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Yes I can now get to the first unread post in a thread I am following. I didn't know why I couldn't do it at first so I am glad to know why. I also discovered the bit about marking everything read and having to refresh to see that they had been so marked.

Which of the little icons at the top of the post allows me to put a photo in a post. If I click on the next to last one on the right, it asks me to browse or drag. Can I get photos off my own computer and post them that way? The one all the way on the right has a place for an image URL, but I can't figure out how to make it work. The one on the other side just puts the URL of the photo.

I thought I had to have them hosted someplace. If I do have them uploaded to the internet, how do I post those pictures?

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@Richard said:

@Ferguson said:
    I'm feeling stupid.

There's no filter that allows you to only see unread discussions, though it might be nice to have one.

There's a minor gotcha in the mark all read function. Discussions with unread posts appear on the main discussions page with a little green New box. Press the mark all read button and nothing seems to happen, but when you reload the page, the green boxes will be gone. It took me a while to figure that out, as I would have expected the reload to happen automatically. I think once you get used to it, it won't be much of a problem.

OK, see it now, I guess I didn't do the reload after.

I kind of miss it on the category page as it was there before, but I think if I "mute" the categories not of interest this will work fine or even better.

Thanks.

Something is a miss if there are 156 new in this thread? On "Recent Discussions" page.
    NEW/UPDATED: Gallery Header / Cover Image 156 new in SmugMug Product News

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 9, 2016

How odd. I clicked the comment button to reply to a post but then didn't follow through on the reply. Now when I open the thread the post I was going to comment on is in the comment box, ready to go. Erasing the text cleans the box, but if I reopen the thread the text pops right back up again.

Even more odd is that after I saw the behavior I cleared the browser cache. The post still shows in the comment box. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

... interestingly enough, as soon as I posted this comment the problem with the automatic filling of the comment box in this thread is now gone (and this is the thread where I previously saw the problem.

@denisegoldberg said:
    How odd. I clicked the comment button to reply to a post but then didn't follow through on the reply. Now when I open the thread the post I was going to comment on is in the comment box, ready to go. Erasing the text cleans the box, but if I reopen the thread the text pops right back up again.

Even more odd is that after I saw the behavior I cleared the browser cache. The post still shows in the comment box. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

... interestingly enough, as soon as I posted this comment the problem with the automatic filling of the comment box in this thread is now gone (and this is the thread where I previously saw the problem.

That's a feature, not a bug ;) It autosaves the text you are writing as a draft every minute or so. Haven't you seen the annoying flyouts about that yet? Anyway it's not a browser cache thing, it's Vanilla itself that's doing it. Once you post, the draft is discarded. It looks like you can have separate drafts in different threads. I only did a quick test of that, so I wouldn't swear that it works reliably.

• JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:

I've seen that as well. Old unposted things seem to come and go too. I've haven't quite got a handle on the specific behavior. For example, when I opened this up, I had s response I was beginning to make yesterday but decided was unneeded as the thread developed. And I'd made several posts in between then and now, although on different forums.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

@Richard said:

@denisegoldberg said:

That's a feature, not a bug ;) It autosaves the text you are writing as a draft every minute or so. Haven't you seen the annoying flyouts about that yet? Anyway it's not a browser cache thing, it's Vanilla itself that's doing it. Once you post, the draft is discarded. It looks like you can have separate drafts in different threads. I only did a quick test of that, so I wouldn't swear that it works reliably.

I suppose it is an interesting feature. I would be happier with it if there was a way to clear the unwanted text. It appears that it will stick around until you actually post a different comment to the same thread.

@denisegoldberg said:

@Richard said:

@denisegoldberg said:

I suppose it is an interesting feature. I would be happier with it if there was a way to clear the unwanted text. It appears that it will stick around until you actually post a different comment to the same thread.

I've seen it on other sites, and personally find it annoying, though occasionally (a failure to post for some reason, a forgetful closing of my browser) it saved a bunch of typing. It seems kind of perverse to then have a "save draft" button; it would seem more useful to have a "Clear draft" button since it's saving ever few seconds. :)

Haven't tried this, but you should be able to select all and delete. It would probably be better if there was a way you could just turn it off for your account. Perhaps there is, but I haven't seen it yet. I rather like the feature as I frequently get interrupted while I'm composing a comment and have to do some admin thing or other, then come back. I think I would prefer less frequent saves, but that's a minor issue.

Oh, and forget about what I wrote earlier about multiple drafts in separate threads. It seemed to be working, but after I actually posted one of them, the other one was gone.

@Richard said:
    Haven't tried this, but you should be able to select all and delete.

That doesn't work. It looks like it does but as soon as you re-enter the thread the cleared text is back again. It didn't clear for me until I cleared it, typed something else, and posted my comment. Without posting the comment there appears to be no way to clear the unwanted text.

Hmm...no, it doesn't. I think I understand why, but you need to think like a computer to understand it. Once you clear the box, it decides there's nothing worth saving, so it doesn't autosave. In fact, the Save Draft won't function, probably for the same reason. Stupid machines. Ah, well, just clear it when you need to type something else.

• photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins

yes, I am seeing the same issue.... sorry, a feature:) And this feature is very good... if only there was an option to actually clear the text, the response I no longer intent to post.

• Bobcat132Bobcat132 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    Something to get used to, but I'm sure it will take no time at all :)
    edited December 10, 2016

One problem, there is no indicator what threads I've posted in on any category page. Only if I started the thread, now that you enabled that. That means I probably will never see a reply.