E-mail notifications

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

Hi,

With the new "Vanilla" system I'm not receiving anymore notifications from threads I subscribed or posted to... What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks,

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited December 11, 2016

This response from Ben is in the DGrin now on Vanilla Forums announcement thread:

@Ben said:
    I just managed to kill email notifications for replies in threads, as a default setting. So that should stop the email spam people suddenly started getting!

You can still turn it on manually if you want, over here!

This was turned off after many complaints since it was sending an email for every reply in the thread. I would guess that's when you stopped receiving emails.

If you want to receive emails you will need to update your preferences here.

--- Denise

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited December 11, 2016

Thanks, Denise. The default settings once we moved over to Vanilla, were a bit over the top with emails. On the second day after going live I had to delete about 30+ emails that had quickly appeared in my in box. At the time I couldn't figure why there needed to be any, let alone the deluge. Others were reporting the same annoyance. Luckily, there are very fine grain controls users can set for themselves on what and how they receive notifications. Understanding all those checkboxes is a little daunting, I admit. Once set, is can be quite a custom setup.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

Thank you Denise and David. As I mentioned in the main "Vanilla..." thread, my boxes for e-mail have been always checked and still are.
    What I can do is to go and uncheck them, save the preferences and check them again... maybe.

David: what do you mean by "Understanding all those checkboxes is a little daunting, I admit. Once set, is can be quite a custom setup." please?

Travelways.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

I got them all now..., in another mailbox than expected. I'm not sure however WHEN I started to receive them...

I think that there is still some adjustments to be done though... Before the e-main notifications had the subject specific for the respective thread. Now they all say "[Digital Grin Photography Forum] " no matter which thread they are pointing to...

Travelways.com
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator

Tatiana, what I meant by "daunting," and I admit that wasn't the best word to describe it, was the multiplicity of choices in the Notification Preferences page. In a way, those can make life easier here at Vanilla vs. the old vBulletin simple global notifications. It just takes a while longer to set it up to one's liking due to the many possibilities of customization.

I will admit I haven't set mine up yet, though I have knocked out the email notifications as a personal preference, since I was getting dozens per day - an unexpected bonus when we went moved over here.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator

Aside from some admin things and PMs, I ended up shutting mine off. Too many emails with too little information for posts and threads comments and discussions. The PM conversation notifications still contain the content, as before. I'm now relying on bookmarks, the notifications panel at the top and the new comment indicator. Works well enough for me, now that I have tuned it up.