Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins

@nickjamison said:
    Give me your worst!

I wouldn't put a space in the middle of the word "photo grapher" in the Working with Nick section, but perhaps you have a reason I don't understand.

• Options
    uncooluncool Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins

Okay, the initial vibe I get from your site is Interesting followed by chaotic and dense.
    Leading with Services - good choice - sets the tone and lets visitors know the point of the site
    Traveler section - Reads like a blog. Suggest you call the section Blog as that is the standard (albeit boring) term but that informs the visitor
    Photographer - looks like a tie in with services. If it is, make it one section. If it's not, what is the point of the section?
    Writer - Are your photographs featured in the articles? If so, call that out. Since it's a service you are offering, it should be combined in the Services section
    Shop - Empty. Don't have an empty page. Just hide the button until you have content. It's not nice to trick people.
    About section - Fine
    Contact - You're probably deeply tied to your Gmail account but having PresidentandCEONick@NickJamison.com offers some additional marketing clout and credability.

Technical/Personal Preference Items:
    The initial splash page - only saw it once. Couldn't find a nav bar. Randomly clicked and got to your site. Lose the splash page
    Location Scout, Photo Grapher, Location Manager are all live links that go nowhere - remove the link code
    While it might mess with your design, increase the font size

After going through the site a few times, I maintain my initial feeling of Interesting. I think mainly because you seem to have a focus that is different from the majority of these SmugMug sites.

And my usual caveat - I'm just a random dude on the Internet - take these notes with a grain of salt.

@nickjamison said:
    After weeks of slaving over this thing I have finally finished my complete overhaul of my site. PLEASE critique this thing into the ground fellow smugmuggers! Give me your worst!

http://www.nickjamison.com

Well every person you can know,
    And every place that you can go,
    And any thing that you can show,
    You know they're nouns.
  • Options
    nickjamisonnickjamison Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins

@W.W. Webster said:

@nickjamison said:
    Give me your worst!

I wouldn't put a space in the middle of the word "photo grapher" in the Working with Nick section, but perhaps you have a reason I don't understand.

HA! first one to catch it. Its so that in a smaller screen such as an iPhone it will line break in the middle like the other two.

nickjamison.com

• Options
    nickjamisonnickjamison Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins

@uncool said:
    Okay, the initial vibe I get from your site is Interesting followed by chaotic and dense.
    Leading with Services - good choice - sets the tone and lets visitors know the point of the site
    Traveler section - Reads like a blog. Suggest you call the section Blog as that is the standard (albeit boring) term but that informs the visitor
    Photographer - looks like a tie in with services. If it is, make it one section. If it's not, what is the point of the section?
    Writer - Are your photographs featured in the articles? If so, call that out. Since it's a service you are offering, it should be combined in the Services section
    Shop - Empty. Don't have an empty page. Just hide the button until you have content. It's not nice to trick people.
    About section - Fine
    Contact - You're probably deeply tied to your Gmail account but having PresidentandCEONick@NickJamison.com offers some additional marketing clout and credability.

Technical/Personal Preference Items:
    The initial splash page - only saw it once. Couldn't find a nav bar. Randomly clicked and got to your site. Lose the splash page
    Location Scout, Photo Grapher, Location Manager are all live links that go nowhere - remove the link code
    While it might mess with your design, increase the font size

After going through the site a few times, I maintain my initial feeling of Interesting. I think mainly because you seem to have a focus that is different from the majority of these SmugMug sites.

And my usual caveat - I'm just a random dude on the Internet - take these notes with a grain of salt.

@nickjamison said:
    After weeks of slaving over this thing I have finally finished my complete overhaul of my site. PLEASE critique this thing into the ground fellow smugmuggers! Give me your worst!

http://www.nickjamison.com

This is fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to give me some honest feedback. Do not discredit yourself bc your impression is the most important. Not from someone overly technical. All these are great suggestions and I will implement them for clarity. Thank you!!!!

One question: Third person descriptions? Did it bug you? Its bugging people that are close to me but I think thats bc they know me.

nickjamison.com

• Options

uncool doesn't care for third person narratives but he digs irony.
    When uncool reads third person text he does it in the voice of DuffMan. Oh Yeah!

You know they're nouns.
  • Options
    AndrewVernonAndrewVernon Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2016

I love how customizable Smugmug is. Really wanted / needed a full blog tool though so I decided to see if I could customize smugmug enough to make it look my existing Squarespace site. There are still subtle differences, but I'm pretty excited about the result!

When you hit the homepage and most of the content pages you're on Squarespace, but the gallery pages and their menus / links etc are all smugmug. My goal was to have them so closely match that the average person wouldn't realize they're actually moving back and forth between two sites. Would love any feedback you're willing to give!

Here's the link --> www.AndrewVernonPhotography.com

• Options

Per your request - Here’s a random dude’s opinion:
    To answer you question - Yes the bounce between SS and SM is smooth.

Not specifically asked for (so feel free to ignore) but here are some observations on the overall site (and not the photography which is top notch).

Design wise - Too much header space. Suggest you move your logo/sig to the upper left. This will give your photos more prominence.

Info - You could combine the Gear into the About section.Unless you receive an abundance of Gear questions. I wouldn’t think someone interested in purchasing a print cares what camera you use.

Resources - Takes away from your images - Just gives visitors a reason to leave your site. Although I see you are collecting affiliate money.
    Overall I find it distracting and unnecessary if your point is to sell your prints and services.

Squarespace - Again, seems unnecessary and a distraction.

Gallery - Jumbled. You have the same photos in multiple galleries. Condense the galleries. Limiting the choices a visitor has makes what is there more important.
    I can right-click on photos in the Color and Long Exposure galleries but not others.

Blog - Sparse. Unless you plan on ramping up your output, I see no reason to sign up to receive updates because they are few and far between.

Workshops - Like that you list the price and it seems reasonable. That said, we are days away from 2017 and you reference 2015. Makes me think you no longer offer the workshops.

@AndrewVernon said:
    I love how customizable Smugmug is. Really wanted / needed a full blog tool though so I decided to see if I could customize smugmug enough to make it look my existing Squarespace site. There are still subtle differences, but I'm pretty excited about the result!

When you hit the homepage and most of the content pages you're on Squarespace, but the gallery pages and their menus / links etc are all smugmug. My goal was to have them so closely match that the average person wouldn't realize they're actually moving back and forth between two sites. Would love any feedback you're willing to give!

You know they're nouns.
  • Options

@uncool said:
    Per your request - Here’s a random dude’s opinion:
    To answer you question - Yes the bounce between SS and SM is smooth.

Not specifically asked for (so feel free to ignore) but here are some observations on the overall site (and not the photography which is top notch).

Design wise - Too much header space. Suggest you move your logo/sig to the upper left. This will give your photos more prominence.

Info - You could combine the Gear into the About section.Unless you receive an abundance of Gear questions. I wouldn’t think someone interested in purchasing a print cares what camera you use.

Resources - Takes away from your images - Just gives visitors a reason to leave your site. Although I see you are collecting affiliate money.
    Overall I find it distracting and unnecessary if your point is to sell your prints and services.

Squarespace - Again, seems unnecessary and a distraction.

Gallery - Jumbled. You have the same photos in multiple galleries. Condense the galleries. Limiting the choices a visitor has makes what is there more important.
    I can right-click on photos in the Color and Long Exposure galleries but not others.

Blog - Sparse. Unless you plan on ramping up your output, I see no reason to sign up to receive updates because they are few and far between.

Workshops - Like that you list the price and it seems reasonable. That said, we are days away from 2017 and you reference 2015. Makes me think you no longer offer the workshops.

Thanks for the feedback @uncool It's been a long time since I've had someone go through my site like that and share their thoughts. I really appreciate it!

Yea, I've been wondering if there was too much white space. I like clean and simple but have been wondering if maybe I've overdone it.

With Gear and about, I had thought about combining the two but have hesitated to do so in an effort to have two SEO hits / links instead of one. Think it matters?

Yep... Probably time to pull the Squarespace page. At the time I was proud of some of the tweaks I had figured out haha. I'm not a web developer by any means so those little changes that I managed to figure out felt like a big deal. .... Feeling a little geeky even admitting that. Will probably remove soon. I do like the idea of simplifying.

I appreciate the feedback about my gallery. I've always struggled with the thinking behind whether to have set galleries where each image only appears once vs something more like fluid groupings where customers can view various groups based on what they're looking for and may see the same image multiple times. What's happening is that I've uploaded all of my portfolio photos to an 'All Photos' gallery and am using smart rules in my other galleries to surface images based on keywords. My goal was to have a higher chance of having the client find and see exactly what they're looking for. I guess that's what search is for, or gallery titles... Will have to think about this one!

Yea, my blog has struggled the past two years. But it's still easily the best source of traffic to my site. I have a couple posts in particular that easily produce 80% of my sales each year by attracting people. Been thinking it's time to rename it to 'News' so it doesn't carry quite as much of the neglected blog feel haha. Any thoughts?

Good catch on the workshops. They are something I enjoy doing, but a very small part of my business. Time to do some updating it seems.

Long story short, thanks for all the feedback! It's much appreciated. Oh, and Right-Click protection is not turned on for all my galleries. Thanks for that!

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins

@AndrewVernon - You did a good job integrating your SM galleries to your Squarespage site. I did the same thing, but I use WordPress.

Your blog link is broken on your SmugMug navigation.

As a photographer, I don't care about camera stuff, so I would remove it, but that's just me.

Remove that Squarespace link.

@AndrewVernon said:

With Gear and about, I had thought about combining the two but have hesitated to do so in an effort to have two SEO hits / links instead of one. Think it matters?

No.

SEO-wise, read my 'SEO for the Photographer' link in my signature below.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@AndrewVernon said:

I would take a little time to rework your bio just a little. While technically proper, you repeat your name over and over, along with some inconsistencies in Florida (some are capitol and some are not). It's a nit picky thing, but all the rest of the critiques I could come up with were already covered by uncool.

Steve

Website
  • Options

@Hikin' Mike said:
    @AndrewVernon - You did a good job integrating your SM galleries to your Squarespage site. I did the same thing, but I use WordPress.

Your blog link is broken on your SmugMug navigation.

As a photographer, I don't care about camera stuff, so I would remove it, but that's just me.

Remove that Squarespace link.

@AndrewVernon said:

No.

SEO-wise, read my 'SEO for the Photographer' link in my signature below.

Thanks @Hikin' Mike ! I really appreciate the feedback. Hope you had a fantastic Christmas...

• Options

@Cygnus Studios said:

@AndrewVernon said:

I would take a little time to rework your bio just a little. While technically proper, you repeat your name over and over, along with some inconsistencies in Florida (some are capitol and some are not). It's a nit picky thing, but all the rest of the critiques I could come up with were already covered by uncool.

@Cygnus Studios So funny how you really don't notice something until someone mentions it. You're totally right about the bio. Will be reworking soon. Thanks for the feedback!

• Options
    picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2017

Hi folks

spent all day today trying to revamp one of my sites, im very much useless with IT im afraid, appreciate any feedback. Im in the UK by the way..

http://www.harrylessmanphotography.co.uk/

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

Overall I like the look of your site. It's simple and clean.

The text on your About Me page is pretty jarring, especially when compared to the tag line below your logo. It looks like you have specified bold for the text. I'd like to see it in normal weight and a little smaller.

I was a bit surprised to see that you are showing all of your galleries in your browse menu as slideshows. I like to wander through photos at my own pace. I almost always close a site without looking if the only option is a slideshow. There may be some galleries where I would like to see a slideshow of the images, but that's not a mode that I like to see as the only way to see a gallery.

On your client galleries page, the folder "other clients" opens to an empty page. If there are no public galleries in that folder then why show the folder?

• Options

Thanks Denise

ill have a look at the text, the galleries are just samples images but i may change away from a slideshow to a smugmug style, the "other" clients now has a locked galleries in there as i hadnt added it at the time, its still work in progress. i was aiming for simple and clean so thats good :)

• Options

@picturebike here are a few observations:

The subhead text "Country Life..."Etc. look like buttons, but are not buttons - I suggest you remove them.
    Generally, the entire header section takes up room that could be used to make your photos more prominent.

Your Facebook site is competing with your SM site - you should decide how you want to use each.

Search - suggest you remove it. I am not sure what you expect people to search for. I searched for dogs and motorcycles - both resulted in zero images

About Me - Work on the formatting - add a few line breaks because it is visually dense

Lessons - Unnecessary use of quotes for the line "You can even get hands on with motocross photography with me".
    Capitalize Photoshop and Lightroom

Suggest you use your URL domain as your email domain rather than Gmail - doing so adds credibility.

Good choice in including your phone number

Nice photography by the way

@picturebike said:
    Hi folks

spent all day today trying to revamp one of my sites, im very much useless with IT im afraid, appreciate any feedback. Im in the UK by the way..

You know they're nouns.
  • Options
  • Options

The nav bar, About, and Lesson pages are much cleaner @picturebike
    Reviewing the menu again, I would probably move Client Access to the end - figuring you are expecting/wanting potential customers more than current customers to be visiting.
    Still not sure what your end game is with your Facebook site - Suggest you make that more of a blog/behind the scenes info/fun stories of working with customers and keep the SM site to show off your photography (removing duplicate images from FB)

Viewing your site in Chrome:
    The home page tab displays Field Sport Photography rather than Harry Lessman Photography
    Browse Galleries displays Please select a gallery - you should brand it in some way (Browse Harry Lessman Photography's Galleries or Harry Lessman Photography Galleries)
    About Me change to About West Norfolk based photographer Harry Lessman
    These suggestions are more for SEO than anything else.

Do you have any testimonials you could add to the Lessons page? That could add some credibility to your service.

@picturebike said:
    thanks have made some changes

You know they're nouns.
  • Options

Hi thanks again the helps much appreciated, i have no idea about SEO, i have made more changes and added a recent testimonial

not sure what im doing with the facebook page just yet, so i need to have a better look at that..

ive changed the browser tab and should now show Harry Lessman photography. :)

• Options
    haron1haron1 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins

Hi, just my quick thinking.
    Design is outdated, it looks like 15 years old html.
    Many pictures looks too similar.
    Watermark is BIG NO NO!. It blocks scenery in many pictures. If you want just copyright info, why not use small nice font in lower right or left part of every picture.
    If you want to prevent others from using your photo, then position and size are ok, but don't use that 3d logo, just plain text, and make it more transparent so it doesn't block the picture.
    Last but not least, I am not big fan how you process the photos. They look like you don't photoshop them at all. If it is your style ok, but they all look somehow "grey" to me. They don't pop out. And simple screen capture proves my theory. Histograms are all heavy on the left side.

cheers!

@Misfit79 said:
    Site redesign - Feedback
    Hi All,

I have been plugging away at updating my site and would appreciate some constructive feedback.

First off for perspective, this site is primarily for me to take pics of all of the animals and birds in alberta, Canada, as such the website is more of a repository design.

Things that are still a work in progress
    1. better breakdown of menus
    2. labels of animals/birds (id is tedious)
    3. Figure out how to add some transparency to the submenus (if anyone can help with this it would be appreciated)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as to the design aspects.

Thanks!
    Rory

• Options
    Misfit79Misfit79 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins

Thanks for the input Haron1. could you send me a couple links to images you screen capped to get the histograms please? I would like to check out the originals. Your are correct, I try not to do much photo shopping as I prefer the images to look as natural as possible, However I do watch for clipping so I am curious.

Thanks
    Rory

• Options
    haron1haron1 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins

Sure. DOn't know which was it but this is also underexposed and lack of contrast.. http://www.rjsalpinephotography.ca/Landscapes/Landscapes-1/i-4ZSnHxw/A

Many of your pictures looks like that. You have very nice sceneries but because of processing i found them not very appealing.
    You are right. It is sometimes better not to over process and make picture unnatural, but under process is also bad thing.

I think you know this but repeating is never a bad thing :)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/viewing-histograms-pixel-values.html

You have many links online about developing landscape photos and understanding histogram,

I hope it helped

• Options
    Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins

@denisegoldberg thanks for the idea with @leftquark 's captions.
    And @leftquark, I admit hereby that I "stole" that idea for my website, because that location data in the caption is just what I need :D but I found something in the process...the titles of the photos are coded as "

<

p>"s and not as some sort of "" (

<

h1>...

<

h5>) code wouldn't it help us all SEO wise to change that to some h-code, even h5 would probably be rated higher by search engines than a plain p-code...or am I just missing out on something?

For all who like the idea but dread adding the code manually, there is actually a plugin for LR to do so: lightroomsolutions.com/plug-ins/search-and-replace/. In my tests it has worked fine. I am however in no way related to the vendor, so don't blame me if it doesn't work for you :wink:

https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • Options
    GolfnutGolfnut Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins

I welcome comments on my website SanDiegoColors.com

• It is a fairly new site just focused on San Diego and therefore there isn't as much hierarchy like I did a couple years ago on Arrowphotos.com which covers many cities and organizational galleries.
      Thanks,
      Charles
  • Options

Very interesting layout makes for a refreshing change @Golfnut. This design encourages exploration in a way others do not. And it is because everything from the domain to the photos is singularly focused on SD.

That said it took me a (relative) while before I saw the copy at the bottom the page. I'd like to see you work some of that copy or a button into your a header image so visitors know how they can buy and use your images. Nice touch offering web quality images for no cost and bonus points for keeping garish watermarks off the photos as well.

I don't see an Instagram icon, so if you have an account, be sure to add it to the page. More importantly, however, would be to make sure your IG account links to your portfolio. I think if you properly cultivate an IG stream, you could get the attention of interior designers and others who would be interested in purchasing your photos.

Thanks for sharing. Good job.

@Golfnut said:
    I welcome comments on my website SanDiegoColors.com

• It is a fairly new site just focused on San Diego and therefore there isn't as much hierarchy like I did a couple years ago on Arrowphotos.com which covers many cities and organizational galleries.
      Thanks,
      Charles
    You know they're nouns.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2017

Uncool,
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I have updated the site to reflect them. Oh, and regarding the Instagram account, I don't have one.
    Charles

• Options

You need to add some padding around the text or images - when I reduce the browser size, some of the text gets lost under the images (Chrome, Mac)

@Golfnut said:
    Uncool,
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I have updated the site to reflect them. Oh, and regarding the Instagram account, I don't have one.
    Charles

You know they're nouns.
  • Options

Uncool,
    LOL, I saw that when I was editing and was too lazy to fix it, after all, who would ever see that! Kudos!
    It is fixed now.
    Charles

• Options
    Misfit79Misfit79 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins

@haron1
    You are right about that one in the sense that it lacks contrast, however I was sitting in a fog bank, so it gives it a little context. If anything its the blacks that have been suppressed. but no worries, based on your photography (nice site btw!) we have very different tastes. :-)
    ty again for your feedback.

• Options
    TMcEwenTMcEwen Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

I enjoy looking at everyones site as it gives me inspiration on mine tmcewenphotography.com/ . I always enjoy C/C.

- Thomas McEwen - (Nashville, TN)
    http://www.tmcewenphotography.com/