What batteries?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2015
    ^ Laughing.gif!
    Thanks for the update!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    I definitely recommend Eneloops and Powerex for use with speedlights. Eneloops hold charge for very long time when stored, but the Powerex have more capacity. I'd never use Alkalines with speedlights.
  • Options
    piggsypiggsy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    I use the Turnigy 2550mAh LSD batteries here for everything -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=307

Very cheap (much cheaper than comparable eneloop XX/pros in australia, and they have a local warehouse so no more dodging the other battery fiends at Dick Smiths sniffing out click-and-collect eneloops) and nothing's gone bad yet.

If you want to find out more about batteries than you ever thought possible I would recommend a read of

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included

and enter the terrifying world of min-maxing specific battery batch numbers with specific chargers and charge rates. I'd recommend at least taking a look there at how you should be charging your batteries - overcharging / extreme fast charging can be quite detrimental to their lifespan / charged capacity.
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2015
    FWIW I've had the best performance out of Radio Shack's high capacity AA rechargeables. I purchased their 4 hour multi-bank charger, and love the performance so far. I find the refresh rate on the flash to be the best I've experienced, better than non-rechargeable alkaline batteries.

I used to be big on the quick chargers, then I realized they pretty much burned my batteries up.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2015
    Amazon black label - it is believed they are rebadged eneloops, and they're great.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited February 26, 2016
    Got my Imedion and Powerex batteries delivered today from Thomas Distributing. Also ordered the C9000 charger and had the free battery tester included in the deal. (16) 2400 mAh Imedion low discharge AA's for general use -- remotes and such. Also (4) 2700 mAh high discharge AA's for my Canon flash unit. Seems that the batt's have 60% charge right out of the box so I think I'll just use them right away and then perform the break-in mode when the power is first exhausted.

I was very surprised to find out that break-in needs 35 to 45 hours to run! Gads. That's gonna scare my wife with that thing plugged in for a couple of days for each run. They seem to fit in my devices just fine. My worry was they might be a bit wide for some finely designed remotes. I haven't run into that yet. I'm happy to never have to buy trays of alkaline AA's again.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    EskuvoEskuvo Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    I use eneloopes. So for so good. I can see that they lose capacity and last half of the time after 2 years. They are worth the money.
  • Options
    LadyJemimaLadyJemima Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    Interesting discussion. I didn't realize that alkaline weren't great for flash. Time to switch...