Options

a butterfly day

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
edited January 3, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

A few years ago I started a habit of visiting the Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory (http://www.magicwings.com/) early in January. I headed to the west early yesterday morning, following route 2 in Massachusetts until a reasonable turnoff to find South Deerfield. Arriving soon after the daily opening time, I quickly removed my warm layers, pulled out my camera, and entered the tropical world of the butterflies. I walked through the space multiple times, stopping, standing and looking, absorbing the beauty. At one point a blue morpho butterfly decided it liked the bright blue shirt I was wearing, landing on my shoulder and staying for a while. I felt it land, and I could see it from the corner of my eye. I stood still until the butterfly decided to move on.

Here are a few photos from my visit.

1 :: a Cairns birdwing

2 :: a glasswing butterfly, greta oto

3 :: a pair of blue morpho butterflies

4 :: in case you're wondering about the name, a blue morpo with its wings open

5 :: a dead leaf butterfly, Kallima inachus

6 :: parrot inhabitant at the conservatory - he's definitely in charge of his space!

If you're interested in more photos from yesterday's wonderful wander among the butterflies, click to the gallery denisegoldberg.com/GardensFlowersThings/Butterflies-2017/

Tagged:

Comments