DGrin is Now on Vanilla Forums

Comments

• FlorianBaaskeFlorianBaaske Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins

One think, which I found helpful in other forums is a button "top" or "up" to jump directly to the top of the page, when the discussion is longer and you need to scroll a lot.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@FlorianBaaske said:
    One think, which I found helpful in other forums is a button "top" or "up" to jump directly to the top of the page, when the discussion is longer and you need to scroll a lot.

I agree. I use a Firefox add-on called Back to Top, which gives you buttons to jump to the top and bottom of a page, and also puts the options in the right-click menu. Very handy on many sites that don't have that feature built in. I imagine similar add-ons are available for other browsers.

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

"Home" button on keyboard works.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2017

We use to be able to mark individual forums as read. It looks like now we can only "mark everywhere as read".
    This new software is a huge down grade from what the old software could do.

By far the biggest problem is no indication where our previous postings are. Almost impossible to find where
    we asked a question or answered one.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog

You can mark an individual forum as read by clicking on its gear icon in the Categories display and selecting Mark Read.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I find that I'm using the forum less and less, one of the reasons being that I just hate the way the new Discussions page displays. I really really really miss the old behavior of having posts that were read "disappear" (i.e. sort to the bottom of the page) and only threads with unread posts remain "above the line". My eyes go crazy with all of those little green squares!

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

@sarasphotos said:
    I find that I'm using the forum less and less, one of the reasons being that I just hate the way the new Discussions page displays. I really really really miss the old behavior of having posts that were read "disappear" (i.e. sort to the bottom of the page) and only threads with unread posts remain "above the line". My eyes go crazy with all of those little green squares!

I'll see if there's anything we can do to mimic.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

I was getting a little flustered that all of my notifications were getting "hidden" when I scrolled down the page, so I've made it so the top menubar is pinned to the top. Let me know if you hate this or if you find any bugs in the way I implemented it. So far I'm enjoying having it pinned to the top.

dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Not sure what has changed in the last day or so, but whenever I open a thread and am going to post on it, my browser will jump back to the top of the page, verses just staying put and showing my post at the bottom. This is a very new recent change. I have to now scroll down. Another thing that just started too if that when I tap (using a tablet) on a reply box, the screen jumps downwards and almost cuts the whole reply box off, to the point where I cannot see what I'm typing. This new behavior started at the same time the other did. It's really annoying.

edited January 12, 2017

@JAG said:
    Not sure what has changed in the last day or so, but whenever I open a thread and am going to post on it, my browser will jump back to the top of the page, verses just staying put and showing my post at the bottom. This is a very new recent change. I have to now scroll down.

I'm having a little trouble following your steps in order to reproduce it. Do you mean after you post a reply, it jumps to the top instead of showing your new post at the bottom and staying there? Is this happening on a desktop or on your tablet?
    [Edit: After posting this, my response posted to the bottom and the screen stayed properly at the bottom.]

@JAG said:
    Another thing that just started too if that when I tap (using a tablet) on a reply box, the screen jumps downwards and almost cuts the whole reply box off, to the point where I cannot see what I'm typing. This new behavior started at the same time the other did. It's really annoying.

I'm unable to repeat this on my tablet. The reply box correctly displays in Safari on my iPad Air. Is anyone else seeing this?

dGrin Afficionado

@leftquark said:
    I was getting a little flustered that all of my notifications were getting "hidden" when I scrolled down the page, so I've made it so the top menubar is pinned to the top. Let me know if you hate this or if you find any bugs in the way I implemented it. So far I'm enjoying having it pinned to the top.

I like the pinned header.

I'm seeing something resembling what Joyce reported in FF/Win. The reply box is slightly truncated at the bottom and I have to scroll to see the whole thing. It might have something to do with the amount of quoted text in the reply, but I'm not sure of that yet. The cursor is still visible at the bottom of what's showing, though, so it may just be something that I could get used to.

edited January 12, 2017

I'm using an ASUS android 4.3 tablet. I haven't gone up to my big computer for a since I noticed this just resently. Actually, it pops to the top when I tap on the reply box to dismiss the keyboard and find the post button under the reply box. It never did this before. So I have to scroll back to the bottom to be able to post the reply. Also I have chrome as a browser.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@leftquark said:

@sarasphotos said:

I'll see if there's anything we can do to mimic.

Thanks, Aaron!

@leftquark said:
    Let me know if you hate this or if you find any bugs in the way I implemented it.

There's a small problem with the alignment of posts, which seem to have the top covered by the pinned bar:

It doesn't always happen. As best I can tell, it's happening when a thread opens in the middle somewhere because you've read some of the thread but not all of it and it's not opening on the last post in the thread. I'd give it a 2 on the Richter scale :wink:

bug.JPG 123.7K

@leftquark said:

Actually, that is about the time I started having the jump happening. Not sure if it's the cause or not.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

I am VERY concerned that the mini has been ignored because people are confused about the Forums. So far I have the only entry to the mini. This is not good.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@grandmaR said:
    I am VERY concerned that the mini has been ignored because people are confused about the Forums. So far I have the only entry to the mini. This is not good.

I'm very confused by this. When you refer to "the mini", what are you referring to?

dGrin Afficionado
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@leftquark said:

@grandmaR said:

I'm very confused by this. When you refer to "the mini", what are you referring to?

She's talking about this - https://dgrin.com/discussion/260903/mini-challenge-240-turbulent-waters

I don't see a difference in these mini-challenges between the old and new dgrin. Maybe there is one, but the entry for the mini-challenge has always been pinned to the top of that forum. The position has not changed.

No the position has not changed, but people either aren't seeing it or have forgotten to go to the Challenges section, or have gotten so wound around the axle about the new Forums that they stopped looking.

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

@grandmaR said:
    No the position has not changed, but people either aren't seeing it or have forgotten to go to the Challenges section, or have gotten so wound around the axle about the new Forums that they stopped looking.

Or are busy with the holidays, snow storms, etc. I would think regular contributors would at least ask "where is it" not just disappear because the screens look different?

They may have decided that the new Forums are too much trouble. Or they may have forgotten about the challenges since they don't see new posts there.

edited January 16, 2017

@grandmaR said:
    They may have decided that the new Forums are too much trouble. Or they may have forgotten about the challenges since they don't see new posts there.

I think that the issue is more that the subject is specific to stormy waters. Thus the subject matter might not be something many have taken photos of. I have a couple pictures that show storms off in the distance but nothing showing 'stormy waters'. This won't be the first time that a mini has stumped the photographers. I might ask the author to rephrase the tthe challenge to include any dramatic water event, weather related or not.

EDIT: The above answer is incorrectly stated as I just went back in and reread her instructions. The issue is that maybe the way it is written, people speed read through and get the impression as I did, that she wanted stormy weather water pictures. When in fact it is any turbulent or dramatic water picture. So it goes till the 20th. Just wait and see what happens. I do not think it is an issue of vanilla move.

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

@JAG said:

@grandmaR said:

I personally didn't have the time to enter, but I'll search for some splashing water :)

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited January 16, 2017

One irritating thing that I'm running into is when I make a post and number the images using a . after the number, the title written on the same line will come up with a difficult color grey to read. Example look at my post here:
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/260903/mini-challenge-240-turbulent-waters#latest

It does this everytime and I usually go in and take the . out. But this time I'm leaving it for you to see the bug.

Yet for some reason, when I try to duplicate the problem in this thread, it doesn't do it.
    1. What's going on?

edited January 16, 2017

@JAG said:
    One irritating thing that I'm running into is when I make a post and number the images using a . after the number, the title written on the same line will come up with a difficult color grey to read. Example look at my post here:
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/260903/mini-challenge-240-turbulent-waters#latest

It does this everytime and I usually go in and take the . out. But this time I'm leaving it for you to see the bug.

Yet for some reason, when I try to duplicate the problem in this thread, it doesn't do it.
    1. What's going on?

I noticed that - it's the way the new "set up" renders the lists - I know the programmers are aware of this and will fix something...

In the meantime though, on the last challenge, when trying to avoid this happening, I used instead of 1. 2. 3., #1, #2, #3 and that gave me some wonderful green headings :)

Now, (at the same link you mentioned above) I just used # without a number to make a generic heading and it worked too :)

Travelways.com

I found the same problem with the numbering. I would add #1 and it would do it, but then when I got to #3, it would go back to 1. again. So my post has #1 and #2 title in big green letters, but I was unable to get #3 to match.

@grandmaR said:
    I found the same problem with the numbering. I would add #1 and it would do it, but then when I got to #3, it would go back to 1. again. So my post has #1 and #2 title in big green letters, but I was unable to get #3 to match.

I have no idea why... :) but mine were with a dot after the number and it worked... #1. #2. and #3.

1. Title 1

2. Title 2

3 Title 3 (this one is without a dot)

Travelways.com
    edited January 16, 2017

Oh, I see your beautiful titles now! :)

Travelways.com
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

Personally I think these markup issues (there are a lot more) are the most significant bug/features. All the various markup notations floating around, and it appears they have invented yet a new set of rules.

Or... if there ARE a set of documented rules, can someone share?

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 16, 2017

@Ferguson said:
    Or... if there ARE a set of documented rules, can someone share?

You may have already seen this, but in case you haven't... @Ben pointed to this Markdown Cheatsheet earlier in this thread.