Image automatic resizing

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Hi,

On my machine images don't automatically resize to fit the screen as they did in the previous version of the forum. Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 23, 2016

I have the same problem. Maybe everyone but us is using a huge monitor and aren't seeing it, dunno. It's especially bad for portrait orientation, as I can never see the whole image at once. Landscape works a little better. All of the other problems of font size and contrast are minor by comparison to this one. A photo forum that isn't displaying photos optimally isn't doing its job. I know that the SmugMug team has reported it to Vanilla, but I don't know what will be done and when. For your own posts, you could try using a smaller size for now, but that won't help you with the others.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Thanks Richard, at least it has been reported. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Until it is fixed you could "right click" on the image and select "view image" from the drop down list.
    Then the picture is shown in it's own window and automatically resized to fit.
    When finished hit the back button on your browser to return to the thread.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

Thanks for the tip, Pieter. It could come in handy at times. I prefer to see a scaled image inline and then have the option to click to see a larger version, which I would look at less often. You know--like it used to be :smile: .

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I would also prefer to have the clicked larger image open in the same window. It's odd though, some images when clicked open in the same browser tab, and some open a new browser tab. It seems that there must be something different in the method used to post the image; unfortunately I can't seem to see the difference.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 28, 2016

Hi,
    On my machine images don't automatically resize to fit the screen as they did in the previous version of the forum. Any ideas?
    thanks

Are we all talking about the old text on the bottom left of a downsized original image click for View Full Size Image? Or dynamic resizing of images when altering the browser size?

If it is the later, the dynamic resize seems to work. I'm using Chrome, and most embedded images, perhaps all, auto resize for me if I drag the browser window smaller or larger (up to the actual size of the embedded image).

For click to view full size version, I agree that something needs to be done, and in conjunction with a lightbox viewer it could be even better.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

The problem for me isn't dynamic resizing by the browser. That works as expected. The problem is that large images (especially portraits) are not sized to fit when they are first opened. Take a look at the images at the top of this thread: https://dgrin.com/discussion/259931/getting-the-smile . They overflow at the top and bottom. Resizing the browser makes them appropriately smaller, but they still overflow. In order to see the whole image at once, I have to zoom out the browser to around 60%, which makes the text impossible to read. This is true in both Chrome and Firefox on Windows. In the old vBulletin software, the images were always scaled to fit inline at first. What happened next on clicking full size depended on the size of the image that was posted and the monitor's resolution. My monitor is 1920 x 1080, which is middle of the road these days. I imagine it's less of a problem on a very high res screen, but not everybody has one.

@leftquark figured out a fix this morning. Let us know if you still have sizing problems. Thx.