They can't give them up

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited January 11, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

Actually, this one is not in it's death knell yet. Sure it's a little breezy...probably a tad hard to heat. But, hey, it's not threatening to collapse at any moment. Many of the hundreds of old barns that I've shot over the years are true death traps. And yet they're still in use. There's several still pulling duty that I wouldn't go in to if you paid me big money.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I'm always surprised how long it takes a barn to fail

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2017

Some of these things seem to hang on forever. I guess necessity drives their lifespan to the extreme.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Very nice Tom! I remember this one!

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 11, 2017

I know of several that I have photographed that are no longer with us, unless in the horizontal manner

I thought the text "It's about time" in the image below, was referring to the life expectancy of the barn when I shot this years ago. My understanding of the 4:20 reference came later after I could read it after running the image through Topaz Adjust

Her's another from a dozen years ago. I am sure it is no longer with us either

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@Stumblebum said:
    Very nice Tom! I remember this one!

Thanks for looking in, Taz. There's another spectacular old barn about 300-400 yards from this one that I would dearly love to shoot but the old gal that owns it is quite crotchety and not very cooperative. Deep in the Appalachians, that's not an unusual owner posture to encounter.

Tom

Pathfinder...

Thanks for contributing the two shots. Both are really good. Sadly, many of these testaments to the past are being ravaged by folks seeking the old wood for use in modern applications.

Tom

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

One of the reasons old barns are re-used is that, here at least, they contain chesnut wood that no longer grows, Tom.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@willard3 said:
    One of the reasons old barns are re-used is that, here at least, they contain chesnut wood that no longer grows, Tom.

You're absolutely right about that, willard. Old heart-of-pine wood is another kind that is eagerly sought after. Several of my all-time favorite oldies have fallen prey to the scavengers.

A quick story: One of my best friends up in those mountains is a master wood craftsman. Over the years, he has accumulated a sizeable stash of wormy chestnut. He's been saying that he would love to use that stuff to build the kitchen cabinets in the new home we're fixing to start up there. He finally put the pricing for the job on me recently. Were I not such a proud old goat, I probably would have collapsed to the floor. Game plan B is looking a lot better.

Take care, buddy,

Tom