What's Your Favorite Accessory?

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
edited March 21, 2011 in Accessories
Over the years, I think we all collect little goodies that we use
regularly and maybe couldn't live without.

What item have you purchased that fits this category?

Post a short description about your accessory and if you have one,
a link to where someone might further research the item.

TIA,
Ian
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    My $19.95 remote...only had it a month & dont know how i lived without it !
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 13, 2005
    I like the cases for my long lenses from Kinesis Gear www.kinesisgear.com

Much more handy than Canon's make up kit luggage that houses many of their L telephotos.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 14, 2005
    Polarized sunglasses. :): I strap the little lanyards around the earpieces so I can quickly drop them aside while I get my camera up to my eyeballs.

Why should polarized sunglasses be considered a camera accessory? Ever check how much time it takes to find and then remove your polarizer filter from its case, screw it on, rotate it to see if the shot is helped any with it in front of your lens? The shot is gone by now, isn't it?

Polarized sunglasses can let you pre-visualize the with or without version by simply tilting your head a bit. In about three seconds, you'll know if you need to spend the extra three minutes fishing for your filter. Perhaps you won't miss that shot that never needed the filter.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2005
    I have several accessories that I can't live without but here's one

Canon Angle Finder

183200.jpg
    Lets you adjust the viewing angle and also gives 2.5x magnification at a flip of a switch.
    But the real reason I like the thing is...
    No more kneeling in the mud to get the shot :D

Fred
  • Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    I like my Expo Disc - I keep it on my walk-around lens as a lens cap and use it often for setting white balance and taking ambient light readings. It's simple to use, handy and produces good results. There's no question it's an expensive piece of plastic but it works as advertised so, for me, it's worth it. Although I don't own one (yet :): ) a Whibal looks pretty good as well.

I'll also second the generic remote release.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your very good suggestions.

Keep'em coming!

Ian
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Equal 1st...'The Photoshop CS2 book for Digital Photographers' by Scott kelby.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    My Gerber Multi-Tool
    I use it everyday for something.

Could be useful on those long photo hikes too! :D

http://www.gerbertools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-700-Urban-Legend-8251.htm

Sorry for the HUGE pic! rolleyes1.gif

8251.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. This thing is awesome for inspecting your sensor when you're cleaning it.

11841_LG.jpg

It's a lighted magnifier and it really lights up and magnifies dust and smudges on your sensor. It takes the guess work out of cleaning, and eliminates having to do multiple passes of cleaning and testing. This thing has really preserved my sanity.

I got mine from Griots Garage, but you can find equal or better ones from other places including B&H.

This is the one I got. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11841

-joel
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    If you own a Digital Rebel, try out the Canon RC-1 Wireless Remote.

http://www.canoncompanystore.com/epages/annex.storefront?ProductDetail=2465A001AA

C58-5591.jpg

You can usually find it for $20, same price as a wired remote. You can set it for immediate shutter-release, or 2-second delay. It includes a holder that attaches to your camera strap.

I loved this accessory with my old Canon Elan, and was dismayed that they don't offer it for the 20D.
    Chris
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Definately this:
    pub_pyxis.jpg
    have my GPS (more info) with me all the time since SM offers the mapping feature. I use it just as a logging device, not for navigation - therefore the display is more than sufficient.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Se7enUKSe7enUK Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    The wife.....

No seriously its my Compact Drive PD70X storage device its 70GB and its one of the quickest out there.

PD70X.gif
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Don't forget...
    Just like GraphyFotoz, the Gerber is always at my side.

But, don't forget that mini Maglight for those 2am trips to the dark ends of the world for the a shot or two. Also, it takes AA's. Carry enough of these for the flash. Just hate dropping the lens cap in the woods...
    aacell2_black.jpg
  • r1150gsadventurer1150gsadventure Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Victorinox....
    Yes, I lov my ...
    swissmemoryvictorinox512.jpg
    The one who's finding wrong spelling or grammar can keep it!
  • leroysleroys Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Expo/disc
    Definatly my Expo/Disc,, I use it to convert my internal reflected meter on my Nikon FM3a to an incident type with a reported accuracy of one tenth F-Stop, Digital photographers will appreciate the virtualy perfect white balance with a warmer version available for portraiture, Really helps to minimize post processing, http://www.expodisc.com/
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    my vertical grip for the 10D. i will definitely be buying one of these for EVERY camera i ever own from now on.

why?ne_nau.gif
    because it adds that extra heft that stabilizes your hands. really don't use it for shooting on the side like intended. i just like the extra space for my palm. otherwise my pinky almost hangs off the edge of my 10D. also, double the shooting timeclap.gif

wouldn't live without one.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    leroys wrote:
    Definatly my Expo/Disc,, I use it to convert my internal reflected meter on my Nikon FM3a to an incident type with a reported accuracy of one tenth F-Stop, Digital photographers will appreciate the virtualy perfect white balance with a warmer version available for portraiture, Really helps to minimize post processing, http://www.expodisc.com/
    Hi!

They have the White Balance version and the Warming version. Which should I use? I've got a 81 warming filter mounted on my lens already. Please let me know. Thanks!
    edited December 6, 2005
    Hi!

They have the White Balance version and the Warming version. Which should I use? I've got a 81 warming filter mounted on my lens already. Please let me know. Thanks!

What do you want to shoot?

Personally, the regular version is fine. You can add warming in PS.

Ian
  • FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    What do you want to shoot?

Personally, the regular version is fine. You can add warming in PS.

Ian
    I do a lot of walk-around shooting. General stuff I guess. New to this and read something about a #81 warming filter helping out so that is what I've got on my lens.

Would I keep the #81 filter on while using the ExpoDisc standard filter for WB?
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited December 7, 2005
    I do a lot of walk-around shooting. General stuff I guess. New to this and read something about a #81 warming filter helping out so that is what I've got on my lens.

Would I keep the #81 filter on while using the ExpoDisc standard filter for WB?

I don't know. I would imagine you'd take it off, balance and put it back on.
    But again, I'm not terribly sure myself.

Ian
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Best-spent $20: Sto-fen OmniBounce
    [font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As far as inexpensive accessories, it's no contest -- the best $20 I've ever spent on photo equipment was for a Sto-Fen OmniBounce. That little devil really softens shadows on indoor flash shots. I almost never shoot indoor flash without it. It stays on my flash all the time; just drops in my camera bag attached to the flash.

Actually, I have two OmniBounces now ... one for my 580EX and one for my 420EX that I use as a slave flash.[/font]
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    most liked accessory?????
    MONEY!!!! Hands down....I like money the most.....cannot get a good photo with out it ... how else would you purchase that other accessory called a camera???? thumb.gifrolleyes1.gifclap.gif:D Dang just could not resist.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CodeSectionCodeSection Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2005
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    WICHITA, KS

Nor could I......GO SHOCKERS!clap.gif
    edited December 12, 2005
    Nor could I......GO SHOCKERS!clap.gif
    LOVE my Lumiquest Softbox. works like a charm, and EXTREMELY portable.

just stick onto your shoe-mount flash and PRESTO. soft flash, and fill flashes as easy as pie.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

edited December 12, 2005
    just 1 morerolleyes1.gif

my "London Fog 'Trench' Coat" during the winter and fall i never leave home without it. great for covering your camera and keeping you warm!thumb.gif
    http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2875041&boutique=london_fog&category=2376777~2374612~2380857~2380858&NextStyleID=2874065&PrevStyleID=2874042
    Daniel Bauer

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    headscratch.gif I guess my beat up old camera bag, that I bought used. ne_nau.gif I don't use too many gadgets. I will say I'm very happy with the Sensor Brush, I was never very keen about slapping liquid on my sensor.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • spartan123spartan123 Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Singh Ray Vari-ND
    edited January 1, 2006
    Favorite Accessory thread??
    what happen to the thread where you put your favorite accessory?ne_nau.gif

i found it very helpful. AND i remember an accessory someone mentioned on it that i can't seem to find anywhere. but i find myself needing it quite often. it was like an anglefinder thing that you attach to your viewfinder and it allows you to get low angles without lying down on the ground. anyone know what happend to this thread and where i can find this anglefinder thingy? its for a Canon 10D.

thanksthumb.gif ,

Daniel
    Daniel Bauer