Badges?

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins

I just happened to note, for the first time, this "badges" thing. I noticed I have
a "Combo breaker" badge. What in the world is that, and where is there
information on badges?

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

You can click on the badges that appear in your Activity section to get a brief explanation of each badge. The Combo Breaker means "Earned badges for 5 different things in one day (now you can say it was 6!)." The awarding of badges is done automatically and the timing seems to be totally mysterious to me.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@Hikin' Mike said:
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

My sentiments exactly. If the Vanilla Forums developers would spend more energy on a logical, usable layout and less on silly things like badges, activity and "best of..." I for one would go back to using the forum more. I liked D-Grin because it seemed like an adult kind of place and not a teeny social media site.

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

@sarasphotos said:

@Hikin' Mike said:
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

My sentiments exactly. If the Vanilla Forums developers would spend more energy on a logical, usable layout and less on silly things like badges, activity and "best of..." I for one would go back to using the forum more. I liked D-Grin because it seemed like an adult kind of place and not a teeny social media site.

Agree 100%

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins

Having initiated the question here about what badges are, and found out,
    I've completely lost interest. I no longer even pay attention to what
    badges I have "earned".

Now if there was some way to redeem them like Green Stamps could be
    redeemed for merchandise, my interest might be revived. How many badges
    does it take to get a SmugMug coffee cup?

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 30, 2017

The activity section of the forum software isn't useful to me but I don't let it get in the way of my use of the site - I simply don't open that page. There were sections of the old software that I ignored as well.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    The activity section of the forum software isn't useful to me but I don't let it get in the way of my use of the site - I simply don't open that page. There were sections of the old software that I ignored as well.

To me there is a difference between forums that I don't particularly follow in which other people actively post and dead (so-called "dynamic") pages like "Activity" and "Best of" which serve no functional purpose. I would much rather have a usable drop down menu up there. Sigh.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 31, 2017

@sarasphotos said:

@denisegoldberg said:

To me there is a difference between forums that I don't particularly follow in which other people actively post and dead (so-called "dynamic") pages like "Activity" and "Best of" which serve no functional purpose. I would much rather have a usable drop down menu up there. Sigh.

I've mainly been using Discussions, not Categories, so I can see the new posts. I haven't hidden any of the forums, but it is possible to do that to limit what shows up in Discussions by muting selected forums. I agree it would be nicer with a better user interface.