Options

Attempts

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited January 12, 2017 in Holy Macro

Ok Brian ( @Lord Vetinari ) here are my most recent attempts.

Using my new Nikon D600 with a macro lens that came with the package, attached to a nikkor 55mm lens.

1-This first one has 3 stack images. As you can see there is not complete sharpness on parts of the mosquito that should have some sharpness. Problem when shooting this one is that the stalk of grass was slightly swaying in a very minimal breeze.

2- This one is also 3 stacked to get the 3 berries. However, here again you can see areas that should be clearly seen, but are not so sharp. The movement here was me bending over and swaying. Unfortunately my body doesn't always cooperate when doing physical things anymore. Never thought about cutting the branch and bringing it inside where I could do it in a more comfortable position until tonight when I saw Brian's posts.

3- This rosehip has 3 images stacked and same problem.

In contrast, these are images from several years ago using my Nikon D300 and a set of stacked tubes on various lenses. Unless noted, they are single images.
4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9- This was a one time shot as the bugger attacked me as soon as the shutter clicked!

10- And finally, this fella was kind to me and played dead until I finished my shooting him, then he flew away.

I do believe that a lot of my issues might not be able to be fixed since I have health issues that interfere with how limber I am. That said, I still would like to try and develop a way that I can master this art and I did get some ideas tonight. Outside of not wanting to kill my prey, as I did to this guy, who is a 3 image stacked using my old camera system several years ago.

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2017

You have some pretty good shots. I especially like the carnation flower and the 2nd bumble bee shot.
    I'm having a little trouble working out if flash was used in any of the shots?
    It is a lot easier to take macros with flash as it helps stop any motion problems as long as you can get the focus ok and also allows you to choose the aperture and therefore control the DOF.
    However as I think you are finding out- most of macro is about finding techniques that work with the style of shooting you want to do. I actually far prefer hunting subjects outside and shooting in their natural environment but often do flower or other non bug shots inside where it's a lot easier to control things.

Brian v.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

I did use a flash on number 4, number 6 and the ant. I didn't think abouta flash on the recent ones,but you are right, that would have helped!

• Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator

Some nice images there , i think #6 and #8 are the best. i would try to concentrate on shooting single frames before trying to stack images , when stacking any oof parts really stand out if they are in the main subject. the ant stack looks good except the nearest eye is oof , which is the one part of the subject that must be in focus. the eye/head is the main thing that needs to be shart in focus , you can get away with having the rest of the body un sharp.

like Brian says part of the fun is practising and seeing what works :smiley: