Wheaton College Infrareds

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
edited January 25, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

Just getting around to processing this set. Last summer had a day that was just right for some infrared photography - the clouds, light, deep blue sky and low wind conditions were decent and drew me outside for these. I had always wanted to get over to the college for some IR's, mostly due to the south facing main 1871 rustic stone building they have at their entrance.

These first three are of the same building - Blanchard Hall.
Blanchard Hall - Wheaton College Infrared

I could really do without that stupid branch at the upper right! Yes, I could clone the whole thing out, but since I want to do a re-shoot, it is something I'll work on avoiding in the frame the next time I am over there.

This is the majority of this main structure. There was a van parked on the right that never moved, partially obstructed by the tree trunk. There is another great angle for this building that I couldn't get -- but that van! Next time maybe.

The Gymnasium. Or it used to be. Now this hall (Adams) houses their art department.
Adams Hall - Wheaton College Infrared

I only had about an hour before work to get these, but that hour was well worth it this first go-around at that site. I will try to get back this summer for another round.

My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

These are stunning David! Bravo!!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

@Stumblebum said:
    These are stunning David! Bravo!!

Thanks! It was a fun shoot. IR is one of the only types of outdoor shooting that can be done around noon with good results.

My Smugmug
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Nice shots David, really nice high contrasts

Rags
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 25, 2017

@torags said:
    Nice shots David, really nice high contrasts

Thanks, Rags. The filter I had installed was the standard IR instead of the deeper high contrast IR pass version. I edit to get the high contrast results, which taxes tortures the images a bit more. With the standard filter it is easier to get the false colored IR images if that is what I want (which I rarely do).

My Smugmug
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited January 25, 2017

I agree with the others, really nice work here, David.
    Regarding the van behind the tree; not too objectionable as is but just getting rid of the side mirrors would make the van almost unnoticeable.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums