Mini-Challenge 241 - Movement and Flow

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Movement and flow

A photograph is a slice of time…, but the slice doesn’t necessarily have to be thin. Using long exposures on dynamic subjects, opens up a different photographic perspective, a glimpse at a different reality.

This mini-challenge will run until February 3, 2017.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 entries The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Some examples:

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Oh I don't remember seeing anything like this in a mini before. I have a good photo of this, but I have lost it. It was an accidental photo where I moved the camera in sync with a horse running across the field in front of me and the horse and rider are in focus, but the background is blurred. If I don't find anything else that will be my entry and you will just have to imagine it :D

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

This is wonderful! I especially like your last example.

I also can imagine Grandma's entry and like it :)

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

This is a great theme! I hope we have loads of participation on this, remember that you can take fresh images for this! Here are a few of my examples, but as always, they cannot be considered for the challenge judging.

1. Disneyworld at night

2. Birds in flight

3. Hatcher's Pass, Alaska

These two images are a different type of movement. Rather than having the camera in a stationary position while using a slow shutter speed, these next images are either zooming the lens while slow shutter speed is happening (first image) or the camera being moved with slow shutter speed.

Sunflower with windex bottle in background.

Blades of grass with camera moved in downward motion.

edited January 29, 2017

I thought I knew what you wanted, but looking at Joyce's photos, I'm not sure. But this is what I've got

1 Soccer Goalie Practice - Diving for the Ball.

(my granddaughter is the one on the left - taken at dusk)

2. Rain

3. Dancer

This is a lady dancing on top of a liquor bottle (substituted for the horse)

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Thanks for posting! I think Joyce is on the right track, her examples, in particular #1 and 4 are what I had in mind. I think Grandma's #1 is also on the right track. I hope we can get more posts!

edited January 25, 2017

One of the things people do with long exposure to illustrate water movement. The rain pouring off the roof (center left - not on the right side) is that kind of photo. I don't understand Joyce's photo number four.

I have trouble figuring out whether the photo fits in the category or part of it is just out of focus

Grandma, I think that the grass picture fits the theme, movement and flow can be achieved either because the subject is in motion, the camera is moving or both. Earlier this year I did a series of landscapes from a moving car (you can see it here). In this case the subject was static and I was in movement. There are really no rules.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

This is one of the things I like about these minis - they make me think about how I could be more creative.The dynamic approach is not one I often use but seeing the examples make me want to try a bit more in the future. For now, here are three that I found that at least somewhat fit the theme:

1) My favorite fountain in Bordeaux

2) A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to visit an artisan blacksmith in action

3) Me moving the camera - a bike tour with friends

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme Cristóbal and I'm looking forward to how everybody interprets the challenge. So far already excellent shots have been posted. :)

Here's my contribution:

1: Bangalore street racing

2: Antwerp 10 miles

3: Tunnel movement

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited January 29, 2017

I have many motion photos, but they are not all flowing :)

I think I found some the may apply though, and here are 3 of them

1: Smooth like silk

Smooth

2: Mexican dancer

Flowing with the music

3: Jellyfish

Travelways.com

All right!!! you are on the right track, keep them coming...!

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2017

OK, I'll try these:

1) Ghost in the Blacksmith Shop - Foresthill, Ca

2) There's a child in there somewhere - Nevada County State Fair (Plastic bubble on water).

3) And this is Cosmo trying to get rid of a stupid clown costume that his Mom put on (and no it wasn't me!)

BTW - this is Cosmo after all his efforts to remove said clown costume - he was only partially successful. :D

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Wow! Sara's blacksmith image, Pieter's tunnel image, Tatiana's dancer and Jo's blacksmith shop all really stand out to me.

@JAG said:
    Wow! Sara's blacksmith image, Pieter's tunnel image, Tatiana's dancer and Jo's blacksmith shop all really stand out to me.

Thank you Joyce :)

PS: I changed my 3rd entry, because I forgot about the jellyfish... :)

Travelways.com

Thanks Joyce, I'm really enjoying these, too!

• GregLowryGregLowry Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

Giving it your all!

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 3, 2017

Juano, thank you for a fun theme! I have been looking through my photos and found a few that might fit. Just added the first photo (camera movement) to the earlier entries (long exposures with a tripod).

1) Phlox in the Spring

(I started playing with camera movement during a dgrin challenge - DSS #85 Orton Inspiration? - and sometimes get surprising results. I waited to enter it until I found the original raw file.)

2) Rocky Mountain Stream (near Aspen, Colorado)

3) Car Light Trails (Pennsylvania)

@sapphire73 Gretchen, that first image of the phlox looks like an Impressionist painting - cool!

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

@sarasphotos said:
    @sapphire73 Gretchen, that first image of the phlox looks like an Impressionist painting - cool!

Thank you, Sara! It was fun to see what the camera captured this way.

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2017
    1. Rush

1. This image always gives me the feeling of Motion :)

1. Out of my way!

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.

Thank you for posting. This thread is now closed.