Options

Mini-challenge #242 - Those other sports

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
edited February 5, 2017 in The Dgrin Challenges

I wasn't sure how to title this one since the idea is to post photos of sports that do not use balls. 'Sports without balls' and 'no ball sports' probably would not have passed muster. :blush: So this mini does not want any sport shots using a ball. Sports that are simply humans doing the extraordinary, or humans using machines, animals, etc. in their sport are valid. This obviously rules OUT baseball, basketball, soccer, and on this Superbowl Sunday - football.

Oh and by the way, your three shots should be of different [no ball] sports. (This isn't a deal breaker, but would like to see different sports rather than 3 shots of just one sport.)

Here are the usual rules:
This mini-challenge will run until February 19, 2017, 8am U.S. Pacific Standard time.
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 entries The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Some examples:

Sierra Rock Climbers (aka Spider Woman)

Bicycle Racing

Water Rafting (American River, California)

Have fun and let's see no balls!

Comments

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2017

Oh Goody. I am a complete failure at any sports with balls except pingpong (where the ball is too light to hurt when it hits me) or bowling (where the ball mostly doesn't have to be caught or thrown). Not that I am good at those sports, but I can participate. So I didn't try to make my children do any of those type sports. My main sport is swimming, but I have no reasonable photos of that. The best I can do for in-the-water is scuba diving.

1) Cozumel Photographer

I took this of another photographer in 1998 with an underwater film camera. On the next dive, someone offered to take my photo and I handed them the camera and when he gave it back to me I didn't get it clipped on good and it floated away in the caves of Cozumel. My husband said the next camera I got, he was going to pierce my nipple and attach it to me that way.

2) Sailing

This is our boat - when we were looking at boats, I saw a boat with a photo of the boat under sail in the saloon. I wanted a photo like that. So friends came over to sail, and Bob put me and the husband out in the dinghy and he and the wife sailed in circles around us while we took photos. This is also a film picture

3) TaeKwanDo ,.

Although my son tried Karate briefly, none of us have ever done any pugilistic sports until my granddaughter started in TaeKwando. She's on the left

I have resisted doing horse sports because I've submitted so many of them before. (I'm having trouble getting a list that isn't just all number one.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options

Thanks for your entries GrandmaR. Good looking boat (is that your name Rosalie Ann?) and your granddaughter looks very serious! And, as for your husband attaching your camera - OW!

• Options

Yes RosalieAnn is my name. My husband said that since he named the boat for me he could yell at RosalieAnn and no one would know whether it was me or the boat. Actually he doesn't yell at either of us. My granddaughter (who is now age 11 - she was 9 in the photo) is a black belt and she is tiny but fierce.

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

@grandmaR said:
    (I'm having trouble getting a list that isn't just all number one.

@grandmaR I have noticed this problem, too. The workaround I use is to list them as 1) 2) 3) instead of 1. 2. 3. That has been working for me.

• Options

Thanks.

• Options

@grandmaR said:
    Thanks.

You are welcome! Glad this has an easy work around!

• Options
    GregLowryGregLowry Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2017

Getting off the Ground!

• Options
    GregLowryGregLowry Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

It's Hip to Hop!

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

@GregLowry said:

Getting off the Ground!

Love this one!

• BTW: We normally put all 3 photos in one post :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Sorry, but couldn't resist ... and I know it fails on all counts ... it's just that your vetoed subject titles reminded me of this shot :)
    pp

https://dgrin.com/discussion/226477/not-cricket

• Options
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Well, some people don't consider dancers athletes, but Albert Einstein said that "Dancers are the athletes of god" & who wants to argue with Albert Einstein?! I did choose more athletic shots. ;)

A Grand Entrance Lift

A Leap and Lift

And Turning on a Toe

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2017

A mini-challenge is always a bit of a horse race ;)

But we might feel we're all alone against the elements

In the end we're buddies, young or old, just competing for fum

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2017

I'm not too much into sports, but I found some... :)

1. Harness race in Inverness, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada

Harness Race

1. Dog sled race, Ontario, Canada

1. Defeating gravity

Fighting gravity

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    1. Sheep Busting

2. Body Surfing

3. Sheep Roping

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2017

Hunting

Auto racing

Auto racing

• Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins
    1. Gymnastics

1. Waterski

1. Racing

• Options

Fun to see what others have found for this challenge! Looks like my entries are all water sports.

1) Windsurfing

2) Kitesurfing

3) "Diving"

• Options

The Mini #242 is now closed. Results either later today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the wonderful entries - you've again made selecting a winner very hard!