Organ Pipe

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited February 9, 2017 in Landscapes

I've lived in Arizona for a long time but had never been to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, so I decided to go. Criticism is always welcome.

5 The best cluster of organ pipe cacti I saw was at the wrong time of day, alas.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow Don! Love #4 to #8 completely!

All nice, but wondering if in #1, taking some off the top would help......
    Cheers~!

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

All excellent images!!!

I visited Organ Pipe last Easter, what an enchanting location and a destination that should be on any photographer's "got to get to" list.

BTW...I will be working in Scottsdale in Dec. If I extend my stay for some excursion/photograph activities are you able to recommend some interesting, non-tourist, off-the-path destination/sites I could investigate for a day or two of photography? Much appreciated!

I like all of the images...wondering if you took #3 or #8 and tightly cropped the image, to produce a vertical rendition, what the effect might be.

Thanks for sharing these!!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Taz, thanks. "All nice, but wondering if in #1, taking some off the top would help......" I think so. If I were indifferent to the aspect ratio, I'd do it, but for several reasons I'm trying to keep everything in the original aspect ratio these days. With 8, that was impossible.

El Gato, thanks. "If I extend my stay for some excursion/photograph activities are you able to recommend some interesting, non-tourist, off-the-path destination/sites I could investigate for a day or two of photography?" Absolutely. If you decide to extend your stay, send me a private message and we can arrange to talk.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Organ Pipe is on my wishlist of places to visit, wonderful to see photos from there. I really like this set, #4 and #7 are my favorites.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very nice work, Don. I think you capture the essence of the desert exceptionally well....better than most.

Stay safe,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Very nice work, Don. I think you capture the essence of the desert exceptionally well....better than most.

Stay safe,

Tom

Took the words right out of my mouth. Don, your desert photography always inspires me.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Denise, Tom, thanks very much. Denise, Organ Pipe is not the easiest place to visit. I recommend camping, as at the moment the nearest motels are 40 miles away. Tom, I keep trying, and I still find the Sonoran Desert hard photograph, but it's good that you think I'm getting there.

• TMcEwenTMcEwen Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

Great images. I miss Arizona so much.

- Thomas McEwen - (Nashville, TN)
    http://www.tmcewenphotography.com/

TMcEwen, thanks.

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

Very nice photos! I too like the #8, #7 and #4

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins

Amazing color in #8. Very nice series!

Tatiana, Eldon, thanks for the comments!

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Wonderful!!!! I especially like the light in # 7! 1 & 3 are classic.

AnnaMaria, thanks very much. You should go!