Reflections

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
edited April 18, 2017 in Wildlife

Sometimes you have the luck to stand at the right place on the right time. The photos are taken at Näsbyholmssjön, Scania, Sweden.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful!!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Wonderful!!

Many thanks.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

What an awesome set of photos! My favorites are the first and the last.

@denisegoldberg said:
    What an awesome set of photos! My favorites are the first and the last.

Thank you so much. I also have the last as a favourite, but I have a weakness for the fourth. The optical deception gives a special effect.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

A great set of images. Stunning captures!

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

@roaddog52 said:
    A great set of images. Stunning captures!
    Phil

Many thanks, Phil. I am glad you like them

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Absolutely awesome!

@JAG said:
    Absolutely awesome!

Thank you so much. :)

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

These conditions would also see me out and about with gear :)
    First pic would get my vote ... and although the refection aspect would be considerably different / diminished - I'd invariably trade the results from a lower pov - especially with this pose - for the reflection.
    4 - with the missing wingtip surprises me a little, because of the gear you're using - especially since you have so much available crop potential with the body you're using - but I do realise / understand that 'in the heat of battle it's easy to forget / not realise ... I do it all the time :)

Btw, it was also interesting (to me) to see where these were taken, since the location is about 50k from where some Swedish friends of ours live - just north of Lund.

pp

Many thanks for your comment. You are right. I could have done something better. As I always say: If I had done everything optimal whenever I had a chance for a tremendous pic, I would have been a world famous photographer. Since your are familiar to Lund you shall have this pic from the botanical garden there.

edited February 22, 2017

I could have done something better. As I always say: If I had done everything optimal whenever I had a chance for a tremendous pic, I would have been a world famous photographer.

II think it's rare that anyone - world famous or not - does everything optimal in situations such as these - ie unpredictable, moving wildlife subjects in dynamic, changing situations - and get everything absolutely 'spot on', to such an extent that the pic supposedly has no room for improvement.

Even if they did (to their eyes) not all other viewers would necessarily agree, because of the extreme subjectivity associated with this lark.

We all (probably?) have the notion of going out and 'filling the frame' in the best / most efficient / whatever manner - but when I doubled file size by switching bodies a couple of years ago, I quickly realised that not filling the frame also offered all manner of other possibilities - different crop options and less chance of missing bits of subject in dynamic situations. many times since have I looked at a drastic crop factor that I liked off the 7Dm2 and thought to myself ... 'Oh, it's till bigger than the old 1Dm3'

If you'd zoomed out to get the missing wingtip on 4, and ended up throwing away half the file, you'd still have 5Mp more that I have to start with :)

Using a fixed prime, I don't have this option - which, in itself has both pros and cons.

Btw, I've found iced over lakes ideal for resting the gear on for low level shots - and, in your case, with the gear you use (assuming no external battery pack on the body) you'd be in an excellent position to get even lower than I can with my gear, because of lens diameter differences.

I'd strongly suggest trying it at some time - even if it's only to tell me to go and 'boil my head' afterwards (you'll need an angle finder though)

pp

@puzzledpaul said:
    I'd strongly suggest trying it at some time - even if it's only to tell me to go and 'boil my head' afterwards (you'll need an angle finder though)

Many thanks for your comment. I will try to follow your advice, but I forgot to mention that I in the concrete situation was surrounded by small bushes and rush. That's my bad excuse for not giving "low level" a thought. :) I am still in an ongoing learning in handling 5Ds. I have normally used 7D II. With the latter I have tried to catch a Northern Hawk-Owl in flight on 400 mm. The results have been poor. That owl is so d..... fast. It goes better with the 5Ds on 200 mm: That gives me more time (one second or 2) and the result is pics that still have a reasonable quality after cropping. Of course I still need to get the right focus on that fast owl (give me an eagle instead :) ), but that is another problem.

I will try to follow your advice, but I forgot to mention that I in the concrete situation was surrounded by small bushes and rush. That's my bad excuse for not giving "low level" a thought. :)

Yes, sometimes - if these lakes are old gravel pits or similar creations by humans, they've not been 'constructed' with low level pic taking in mind ... most inconsiderate imo :)

I generally check out the periphery of any stretch of water I'm considering using by walking / cycling around it .. with a view to sight lines / background / bird activity / wind direction / light etc ... as I'm sure you probably do ... all that needs adding to the usual mix is low level access.

I recently added some other comments + a few pics about this subject here ... but if you have any specific queries, just ask.

pp

https://dgrin.com/discussion/260906/seriously-looking-at-super-primes-600-800mm/p1

@puzzledpaul said:
    I recently added some other comments + a few pics about this subject here ... but if you have any specific queries, just ask.

Many thanks. :)

@jerryr said:
    Very nice - I like the third one the best - jerryr

Many thanks :)

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2017

sorry, double post

Steve

Website
    edited February 23, 2017

@puzzledpaul said:
    I could have done something better. As I always say: If I had done everything optimal whenever I had a chance for a tremendous pic, I would have been a world famous photographer.

If only it worked that way. Other than the cut off wing shot, these are simply stunning images.

Steve

Website

@Cygnus Studios said:
    If only it worked that way. Other than the cut off wing shot, these are simply stunning images.

Many thanks, Steve. :)

Your bird shots are so beautiful and inspiring. I keep looking through the forum seeing so many beautiful shots wishing that I had time outside of the studio to get some images of birds and bugs and maybe even a flower or two.

Steve

Website

@Cygnus Studios said:
    Your bird shots are so beautiful and inspiring. I keep looking through the forum seeing so many beautiful shots wishing that I had time outside of the studio to get some images of birds and bugs and maybe even a flower or two.

Thank you very much, Steve. Of course it is great to spend most of your retirement life out in nature taking pics of whatever you want, but sometimes I wish I had a well equipped studio to take great photos of my my wife, grandchildren etc. You can't get it all. ;)

Steve, the words you've attributed to me (4 posts above) are the OP's - not mine - probably my fault for screwing up the quote system somehow...

pp

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I love these shots, Jorgen. Even with all the discussion, #5 is my favorite - it appears that they are thoroughly enjoying their tap dance.

edited February 27, 2017

@Cavalier said:
    I love these shots, Jorgen. Even with all the discussion, #5 is my favorite - it appears that they are thoroughly enjoying their tap dance.

Many thanks. No.5 is chosen among others because I love it myself. :)

PS. "No. 5" is used, because using #5 makes a link (I wonder why) to some other beautiful birds, but they are from my point of view a little irrelevant in this thread. ;)