Mini Challenge #242 - Those Other Sports - RESULTS

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

I had all the results typed in, did a preview then somehow lost it all. :s So this is my second try at this! Thanks for all the wonderful entries for this mini. I had a tough time deciding this one.

Honorable Mention:

• GrandmaR (Rosalie-Ann) - As I said before, nice looking boat. It would have been nice if the top of the sail wasn't cut off in the shot, but one gets the idea. Your black-belt granddaughter looks like she has that match won!
  • Greg - I like the action in your Getting off the Ground shot. The vignette helps focus on the jumper and her tongue sticking out shows her determination! Nice height too. I also like the attitudes of the dancers in your second shot.
  • Ikbart - Nice lighting in all the ballet shots. The second shot has beautiful color and composition.
  • Pieter - Your second shot displays the solitude of the surfboard as well as the breadth of the ocean. Nice composition. I like the DOF of your last shot of what looks like father and son enjoying the race.
  • Tatiana - Nice action shot of the Harness Racing. Your third shot is a very interesting one that I like. The only focused areas are her hands and left heel - and somehow that is a very pleasing shot that also shows action.
  • Jeromy - Nice light on your surfer dude. He seems to be thoroughly enjoying the ride as well. And what's not to love about little cowboys enjoying their sport?
  • BluehoseJacket - The gravel pretty much says it all in your third shot. I'll talk about your others later.
  • Peter - Nice shots. The Waterski shot makes the sport look so easy and relaxed. :D However, the speed still comes through in the shot. I don't think I've seen that type of rope line before - one with a "seat". And nice DOF in your first shot.
  • Gretchen - Nice water sport shots and BW processing. I love how clearly the Kite Surfer shows up with the BW processing.

Third Place

Gretchen - the Diving photo. Really nice BW processing on this one - the light on the little girl is great. The mid-jump pose and look of anticipation and pure joy on her face makes me smile.

Second Place

Jeromy- The Sheep Busting photo. Perfect focus throughout all that action going on. And perfect timing. I assume that the little guy didn't get hurt and was up right away to ride again.

First Place

BlueHoseJacket - The first auto racing photo (prototype #8). Someday, I want to be able to pan as well as you do! Wonderful speed action with the stop-focus in just the right spot. Excellent color and example of panning.
So, congratulations on the win. And now you get to host the next mini-challenge. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. (someday we'll get to know what your handle means :D )

Comments

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,742 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2017

Congratualtions everyone.

Jo, the rope line in the waterski shot is for competition (high speed, up to 100mph in the highest class).
    It's held together behind the back. If something goes wrong, they just release and they are clear of the line.

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great work everyone! Congrats to the runner ups and to @BlueHoseJacket for the win! Really cool image! Blue, I liik forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Auto racing

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Thanks for posting the winning picture, Joyce. I forgot to do that!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,944 Major grins

Wonderful photos and I agree - I'd really like to be able to pan that well.

My own criticism of my boat photo was the same as yours. I agree that I should have gotten the whole boat in the frame.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,774 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2017

Congrats to the winners Gretchen, Jeremy and BlueHoseJacket, wonderful entries B)

And Jo, thanks for the HM's and comments. Only my last picture isn't father and son, it was a school teacher and pupil, the father was behind the camera ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

Jo, thank you very much for your comments on my photos (and those entered by others). That little girl is my grand-daughter, and it was fun to discover that photo among the RAW files I had not yet processed from last summer.

Congratulations to BlueHoseJacket and Jeromy as well as the honorable mentions. Many fine entries!

• BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins

Wow, what a suprise!!! Thanks for the kind comments Jo! Being that it is George Washington's Birthday...I must not tell a lie! The panning effect coming of the back of the car was enhanced in post processing with a free app on my IPad. The background panning effect was actual camera panning which certainly made the post processing panning more realistic. (see original processing, without the app in the photo below)

Regarding the "BlueHoseJacket" meaning...it is a combination of college mascots...the Presbyterian College Blue Hose (my alma mater) and the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets...(my favorite football/basketball team).

Unfortunately due some health issues and my schedule for the next several weeks, I am going to have to bow out of hosting the theme for the next Mini-Challenge. So I guess I pass the honor onto Jeromy?

!h

Sorry you are not feeling well @BlueHoseJacket . Yes Jeromy would be the nxt in line. I will PM him to let him know. Thanks for letting us know and I hope you feel better soon.

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

Congratulations BlueHoseJacket - hope you will get well soon! :)

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com

I have sent a PM to Jeromy yesterday. He has not logged into dgrin since the 15th. If we see nothing from him by midnight tonight, the challenge will be passed on to @sapphire73 Gretchen.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited February 21, 2017

@BlueHoseJacket - hope you are feeling better soon!

@JAG, hoping Jeromy will come through with a new mini. But I will try to have something in mind just in case he is unavailable.

@sapphire73 said:
    @BlueHoseJacket - best wishes for a speedy recovery and more relaxed pace!

@JAG, hoping Jeromy will come through with a new mini. But I will try to have something in mind just in case he is unavailable.

Thanks Gretchen. If he hasn't posted by the time you log in tomorrow, go ahead and post a new challenge.

• BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins

Thanks for the compliments and well wishes. Fortunately, I do not feel bad, but have chronic severe neuropathy from shoulders to fingertips and from my waist to my toes. Unfortunately, this has caused me a lot difficulty in day to day tasks...including my photography. My focus has been sports photography....football, basketball, lacrosse, and an occasional car race. Not being able to feel the dials and shutter release button. I have broken Canon 70-200, 2.8 twice, a Tamaron 35-110, 2.8 and speedlite flash, both beyond repair...BUT, I will continue shoot as long as possible...I shot the Georgia Tech basketball game 2 days ago...here is a link to my website with photos from that game
    Is
    https://blakemorgan.smugmug.com/Sports-/Georgia-Tech-Basketball/201617-GT-Mens-Basketball]

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

Don't give up! I think that there are still hopes for recovery if you try to reduce the underlying causes of this...

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins

Thanks for the kind comments Joe! Yes the little guy was fine and having a great time :)
    Sorry I missed your message Joyce. Work has been crazy lately.
    Hope you get to feeling better BlueHoseJacket!

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.

@CHANDLERJA said:
    Thanks for the kind comments Joe! Yes the little guy was fine and having a great time :)
    Sorry I missed your message Joyce. Work has been crazy lately.
    Hope you get to feeling better BlueHoseJacket!

I'm glad it was work keeping you away verses something like illness or injury. Thanks for checking in!