Options

Film?!?

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited February 21, 2017 in Technique

Yes, I know the name of this for is DIGITAL Grin! But I was curious when I saw that Kodak is bringing back Ektachrome film and may bring back Kodachrome.

How many of us here still shoot film? I'll confess. I still shoot a lot of film, 35 and 120. I shoot in everything from a Holga to a Rolleiflex.

I'm just interested in your opinions and thoughts on this.

If this is not the proper section, a mod can feel free to move.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator

The latest is that Kodachrome will still be dead. No resurrection is planned.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator

The good news is that film quality has never been better than it is now. For large format photography, 4" x 5" and above, this still yields an advantage for instantaneous, single image work. Of course the cost of large format acquisition and processing is still an impediment for many, plus the transport weight and size, making large format somewhat exclusive and elitist.

Yes, I still have a ton of film cameras in reserve, but it's mostly for bragging rights. (... and because the bodies are practically worthless these days on the sellers market.)

BTW, if you liked Kodachrome 64, for instance, try using Fujifilm Fujichrome Velvia 50 Professional (RVP 50) Color Transparency Film in 120 format. Combined with a metallic print it can produce a similar experience in highly saturated primary colors. Not for traditional portraiture, however.

For more standard color saturation (but still punchy colors), try Fujifilm Fujichrome Provia 100F Professional RDP-III Color Transparency Film in 120 or 135 format.

As with any professional slide/reversal/transparency/positive film, remember to bracket like crazy until you understand how the film responds to different situations. Document the conditions and settings until they become second-nature and experientially intuitive.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums