Big or little when going to Switzerland?

gopher78gopher78 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins

I am taking a trip to Switzerland. I'm truly and amateur taking picks. I've found dragging a backpack with a 7D, Canon 100mm, EF 70-200 2.8, EF 4.5 100-400 and tamron 24 to 70 lens. It's a lot of weight. Thinking of just taking the 70-200 and 24-70 lens. I also have a Canon powershot Elph 360. Recommendations? My photography is normally setting up shop in a specific area or in the car traveling specifically looking for subject. So, my concern since it's my first time traveling to Switzerland is do I go heavy, or go light and just enjoy the nice scenery with the small powershot?

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

What is the focus of your trip? Is it photography or something else entirely?
    What type of photos do you expect to take? Landscape? People? Or?

Will you be happy with the point and shoot camera? I know if I was focusing on photography the elph would not make me happy - but that's me. Do you really need all 4 lenses for the 7D to meet your trip purpose? Would taking just the 70-200 and the 24-70 cover the type of photos you are likely to take?

• gopher78gopher78 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins

Thanks. I'm going with my daughter who will be working. I'm just bumming, but landscape will be focus. I do not need all the lenses and I think the ones you mention would be best bet. Just needed some confirmation.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2017

The 2 lens setup already suggested sounds like a good compromise to me too - although, if me, I might consider adding a couple of other items - but only because I already have them :)
    A set of extension rings - for the 70 / 200, as this'd provide some close up capability lost by not taking the 100 macro - if you wanted to cut down even further on bulk / weight - then maybe just one of the 3?
    Canon's 10 /18mm lens - yep, you can do landscapes with the other two lenses - especially stitched multi-frame ones - but if you wanted to go out with an ultra lightweight, landscape rig, then this'd be a fair compromise imo.

For me, using the 10 / 18 on my 7D2 is something of a compete change, since it's normally got a 500 f4 on it.
    Yes, I'm aware of similar focal length range options - but here's one review of one alternative (another being the £££ 11 /24 ... )

Edit
    Something else possibly worth considering - especially if you already have one - a 1.4x TC - again, mainly for the 70 / 200 - to offset not taking the 100 / 400 somewhat?.
    If you don't have either / both the rings or TC, both are - imo - useful (relatively inexpensive) additions to a kit bag - including - for your 100 macro - the option of getting 2x lifesize pics (TC).

pp

the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-18mm-f-4.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited February 26, 2017

My base travel kit for a Canon crop 1.6x/APS-C body, and I also have a 7D, is:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM

The 17-55mm zoom is much more appropriate than 24-70mm, especially for general "landscape" work. If you see a "vista" landscape scene or have a limited vantage, like in a smaller plaza or interior, the extra FOV of the 17mm wide end makes a tremendous difference.

The 70-200mm IS f4 is much lighter than the 70-200mm, f2.8 series, and still cracking sharp. Generally I don't miss the larger aperture for travel work.

Both of the above are available as rental lenses and well worth that cost for travel work.

Additionally, the Canon 500D, 77mm diameter, diopter lens with 67-77mm ring to fit 70-200mm, f/4L, gives almost 1:1 macro size at MFD (on a crop 1.6x body).

If you still have room in the bag and a budget which allows, one of the super-wide-zoom lenses made for Canon crop cameras is great for a landscape trip. I use the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM in my kit and it goes with except when weight is a true hindrance.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

The choice of what to pack is always tough. Personally I would pack like I was never coming home. Ziggy's list is perfect, although I might add a macro lens just in case. If not, a macro tube.

Steve

Website
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins

I hiked through the Swiss Alps last summer so weight was a big consideration. I brought a 20mm, f1.8, 24-120mm, f4 and a 58mm, f1.4 along with two bodies and a good travel tripod.

The majority of my shots were taken with the 24-120mm and a smattering with my 58mm when I needed a fast lens. I always travel with two bodies for these types of trips for fear of a malfunction.

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I found that when I'm traveling the backpack of camera gear even with just my APS-C setup can be too cumbersome so it stays home a lot. And since I got my Canon G1X I finally have a P&S that I'm happy with; last summer when I was overseas most of my favorite shots came from it and not the D750 simply because I always had it on me.

I love that little Canon and so do a few other posters on here but full disclosure on it, the lens is slow on the long end, and it's a bit clunky with the menu/AF selection, but I picked mine up for 250 refurbished from Canon and they're going for roughly that used now and I'd say it's still a solid deal. Sensor wise it's essentially a cut down version of the 7D with IIRC a newer image processor.

So I know that wasn't one of your options but in terms of photo gear it's pretty cheap and if you could pick one up I'd say that and the Elph 360 for longer shots would be a decent combo, it would be a compromise but it could make for a better trip.

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

I also travel light when traveling or hiking - mirrorless, pancake lens and maybe the 55-250
    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless