Turnagain Arm Alaska

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

I recently had the pleasure of taking the scenic drive down to Soldotna Alaska, which is a 3.5 hour drive (without stops) from my house in Wasilla. To get there, we have the beautiful scenery of the Turnagain Arm in the Cook Inlet. Of course I went prepared for my trip and brought my camera. Here are some of the images from that trip. Critiques always welcomed.

1 This one has the Alaska Railways track that runs from Seward to Fairbanks

2 These were actually shot in color but look black and white

4 within a few miles of fog, it finally started to lift

5 these few fog ones were taken out the window of a car while going 55 miles an hour on Seward Highway. Temperature was about 10f degrees and quite chilly!

6 the sea water of the Cook Inlet was frozen and was like glass. Although the rough areas were open moving water.

10 the black spruce with the hoar frost made me feel like getting my paints out and do a painting.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

This is why we made the trip. Meet Teddy. He is to be trained as my certified service dog.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Gorgeous country, and good job photographing it! My wife and I drove that route from Anchorage to Seward a couple of years ago. That was in July, though, and it looked a bit different.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Beautiful shots Joyce!
    And Teddy is gorgeous...

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely moody captures! #4 and #7 stand out! Cheers Joyce!

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Thanks for taking us on this journey, that is beautiful country!

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Beautiful set! I think #7 is my favorite. That's always a scenic drive, but I've never made it in the winter.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Wonderful images!! Great to see what this stretch of AK looks like in the winter. Drove the same stretch in the fall, fantastic colors but, winter brings its own beauty.

Numbers 7 and 8 bring back good memories.

Thanks for sharing these.

BTW, Teddy is COOL!!! Best to you both.

@Cornflake said:
    Gorgeous country, and good job photographing it! My wife and I drove that route from Anchorage to Seward a couple of years ago. That was in July, though, and it looked a bit different.

@denisegoldberg said:
    Beautiful shots Joyce!
    And Teddy is gorgeous...

@Stumblebum said:
    Lovely moody captures! #4 and #7 stand out! Cheers Joyce!

@jerryr said:
    very nice - my favorite is #10

@OrvSal said:
    Thanks for taking us on this journey, that is beautiful country!

@roaddog52 said:
    Beautiful set! I think #7 is my favorite. That's always a scenic drive, but I've never made it in the winter.

Phil

@El Gato said:
    Wonderful images!! Great to see what this stretch of AK looks like in the winter. Drove the same stretch in the fall, fantastic colors but, winter brings its own beauty.

Numbers 7 and 8 bring back good memories.

Thanks for sharing these.

BTW, Teddy is COOL!!! Best to you both.

Thank you all for your gracious comments! Glad you liked them!

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Beautiful shots, Joyce. #5 is my favorite - right after Teddy - who couldn't love that face!

edited February 28, 2017

@Cavalier said:
    Beautiful shots, Joyce. #5 is my favorite - right after Teddy - who couldn't love that face!

Thank you Jo! Yes Teddy is such a cutie. He has doubled in size since we got him 3 weeks ago!

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Nice collection Joyce. I was in that area a few years back but it was in June and it looked much different. I love the snow and cold and would live in AK if I could! Thanks for sharing its beauty. Teddy is precious--I hope you will share shots as he grows up!

Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@redleash said:
    Nice collection Joyce. I was in that area a few years back but it was in June and it looked much different. I love the snow and cold and would live in AK if I could! Thanks for sharing its beauty. Teddy is precious--I hope you will share shots as he grows up!

Lauren

Thank you Lauren. It is beautiful in all seasons here. I hope you do get your wish to move here. I have been here over 20 years and plan on living here the rest of my life! Teddy is growing so fast! He has doubled his size in the 3.5 weeks we have had him!
    This is what he looked like when we first got him:

This is what he looks like now:

I am a dog person, but I confess I don't know what breed Teddy is?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 8, 2017

@redleash said:
    I am a dog person, but I confess I don't know what breed Teddy is?

He is a pure English Shepherd. They were bred hundreds of years ago in EU, mainly Baltic Sea countries, for guardians of the flocks. Unlike Australian Shepherd who are more into herding only, these dogs were bred to be independent thinkers as they would be left alone with the flocks and herds of whatever animals they guarded. In the mornings, they would herd the flock/herd in care to wherever they were suppose to spend the day, and they would bring them back at the end of the day, or if there were problems. Highly intelligent with a patient demeanor. Teddy has shown that he can be very patient during the times that there is nothing for him to do. He literally keeps himself busy with his own toys. He has gone to church service every Sunday since I got him and just lays next to my wheelchair without complaint, until we leave. He is only 13 weeks! He is going to make an awesome service dog. We still have a lot of training to do, but I think we are off to a great start!

This sounds like a wonderful situation for you and Teddy! I have heard of English Shepherds but knew nothing about them and had never seen even a picture. The breed traits sound a lot like Border Collies--I watched one in Scotland herd sheep with no farmer around at all. Sounds like the English is not so quite high-strung. Thanks for the info!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com