Mysterious Intruder

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Imagine this thing popping up in your backyard. It's in the Mammoth Springs area of Yellowstone. I tried to include something that would give a sense of scale but nothing was handy. I can tell you that it's huge....probably 25-30 feet tall and 50-60 feet long.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

the Blob? Interesting. The water on the bottom left gives a bit of scale.... What nature is this? Great capture

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

I'd get out---fast. Cool shot. I'd also be interested in knowing what formed it. Volcanic? Mineral deposits from a geyser? Prehistoric aliens?

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@Richard said:
    I'd get out---fast. Cool shot. I'd also be interested in knowing what formed it. Volcanic? Mineral deposits from a geyser? Prehistoric aliens?

Looks like it's formed from thermal water rising through limestone then depositing the material.
    https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/terraces.htm

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Eia said:
    the Blob? Interesting. The water on the bottom left gives a bit of scale.... What nature is this? Great capture

Thanks for the visit, Eia. The "Blob " works for me. When you talk of nature, I assume you're inquiring as to how this thing was created. I can't remember. I was in sensory overload about the time I saw it and I've forgotten some of the back stories to a lot of this stuff.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@Richard said:

Well, my wife swears that she can see a crouched animal within this thing's image. I'm not about to refute her perception so I'm calling this bad boy a left-behind pet, abandoned by the aliens you speak of.

Stay safe, my friend,

Tom

@denisegoldberg said:

@Richard said:

Looks like it's formed from thermal water rising through limestone then depositing the material.

Great to hear from you, Denise. Your assessment seems logical to me. You can see smaller versions ( very much smaller ) in other areas where the bubbling water, and the sediment build-up, is well underway.

Take care,

Tom

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@black mamba said:

@denisegoldberg said:

@Richard said:

Great to hear from you, Denise. Your assessment seems logical to me. You can see smaller versions ( very much smaller ) in other areas where the bubbling water, and the sediment build-up, is well underway.

I'd love to see more of your photos from Mammoth Hot Springs if you have them. I was fascinated by this area when I visited a few years back - seeing your photo makes me realize I'd like to return.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Really cool Tom!

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2017

Pretty cool.

I would guess limestone with some iron in it, Tom

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2017

Nice capture of the Orange cone @ the upper terrace.

These structures were formed as water and snow melt and seep into the ground. As the water becomes heated some of the underlying limestone is dissolved and flows back to the surface, as the heated water escapes. Once the water starts to cool the limestone solidifies, creating these travertine terraces. (The simple explanation)

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

@Stumblebum said:
    Really cool Tom!

Thanks, Taz. I hope you're doing well.

@willard3 said:
    Pretty cool.

I would guess limestone with some iron in it, Tom

I appreciate the visit, willard. I think you're right about the makeup of this thing. It's quite startling when you first see it.

@roaddog52 said:
    Nice capture of the Orange cone @ the upper terrace.

These structures were formed as water and snow melt and seep into the ground. As the water becomes heated some of the underlying limestone is dissolved and flows back to the surface, as the heated water escapes. Once the water starts to cool the limestone solidifies, creating these travertine terraces. (The simple explanation)

Phil

Hey, Phil. The simple explanation is plenty for me. I wonder how long it took for this thing to reach its present proportions.