Olowalu Creek

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Here's another shot from the Olowalu area. The stream in the bottom of the gulch runs from just below Pu'u Kukui (means candlenut hill), the highest peak of the West Maui Mountains. This mountain used to be one giant volcano, towering over 13,000ft above the sea. Time and weather, combined with a sinking island, have whittled the giant down to just under 6,000ft. This western portion of the island is protected forest reserve, with limited access. Some areas, including the tallest waterfall on Maui, are accessible only by air, and even at that, there is no landing point.

Today's image is a merge of 4 pano images stacked vertically. The original images were shot in a 16:9 format, same as you'd find in widescreen video.

Mahalo for viewing, enjoy!

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Very nice JBR!~

• TMcEwenTMcEwen Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

Very cool

- Thomas McEwen - (Nashville, TN)
    http://www.tmcewenphotography.com/
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Very nice composition. I like the effect and positioning...you lead the view right through the image to the horizon. Well done.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@El Gato said:
    Very nice composition. I like the effect and positioning...you lead the view right through the image to the horizon. Well done.

Mahalo! This one was a bit tricky, as the low-battery alarm sounded just as the scene came into view. So, it was a matter of calculating available battery power, time, photo sequence, etc. Can be a bit nerve wracking!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Another winner for you, JonaBeth. I really enjoy the unique perspectives of Hawaii that you're providing. Drone photography certainly adds a dramatic dimension to our craft. During a recent visit to a Walmart ( something I minimize as much as possible ) I was completely surprised to see a formidable selection of drone related products and accessories.

Keep up the good work,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Awesome! Quite a grand scene. Are those purple bushes on the front hill? Gives just enough color!

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@Eia said:
    Awesome! Quite a grand scene. Are those purple bushes on the front hill? Gives just enough color!

Mahalo! The bushes are actually keawe (kay-ah-vay) trees, very thorny and brambly! I was flying the drone around 250-300' above ground level, so they look like nice little purple bushes.

@black mamba said:
    Another winner for you, JonaBeth. I really enjoy the unique perspectives of Hawaii that you're providing. Drone photography certainly adds a dramatic dimension to our craft. During a recent visit to a Walmart ( something I minimize as much as possible ) I was completely surprised to see a formidable selection of drone related products and accessories.

Keep up the good work,

Tom

I'm grateful for these words, Tom, and thank you for seeing the world how I view it in my eyes. The UAV industry is definitely here to stay. On the island, there's a Target store, and they carry DJI and Parrot drones. I'm always surprised myself at how common they're becoming.

• jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    Great looking image!

John Cothron
    Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr