Looking for a tripod head for vertical shots??? Please help!!! :)

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited July 18, 2016 in Accessories
I am looking for a tripod head for vertical shots. Do you have any recommendations? My head can't support my camera with heavy lens attached to it while the camera is in the vertical position.

Please help!!!

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    You actually have a couple of options. You could go with an elbow bracket or lens collar without buying a new head. If you are set on a new head, Acratech ball heads are really nice and support very heavy gear.
    Steve

Website
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 15, 2016
    An "L" bracket is a pretty good idea.

I typically use a Manfrotto 755XB MDEVE tripod/legs, with integral 50mm half-ball for leveling. Then I have a Manfrotto 3047 head (model III, no longer made) and several QR plates and one Elbow Camera Bracket with 1/4'' & 3/8'' for Hex Plate Heads, Model #340 (no longer made). The L bracket includes an anti-rotation device which can be adapted for any body, obviating the need for separate anti-rotation plates for each body type.

While the 3027 head and 340 L bracket are no longer made new, you can sometimes find them used at Adorama, B&H and on EBay.

This combination holds a Canon 1D series body with an EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM telephoto zoom nicely* , plus I've used it for medium format. The tripod and head will also hold a 4" x 5" view camera with full tilts and swings, on occasion (without the L bracket, of course). The L bracket includes an anti-rotation device which can be adapted for any body, obviating the need for separate anti-rotation plates for each body type.

*(Unless I wish to use the tripod ring on the lens, which rotates both lens and body to any angle desired.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    Really Right Stuff makes camera specific elbow brackets. I've not used them personally, but many people swear by them.
    Steve

Website
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2016
    Thanks so much!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 17, 2016
    Really Right Stuff makes camera specific elbow brackets. I've not used them personally, but many people swear by them.
    Count me in that camp. An L bracket combined with a quick-release clamp on your tripod head allows you to change between landscape to portrait modes in a second or two, without disturbing your camera angle. It's a really sweet setup.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 17, 2016
    L brackets rock!

My cameras feel naked with out one!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 18, 2016
    +1 for L-brackets. Every camera body has had one permanently attached since I've pulled them out of the boxes. I've also accidently dropped my cameras a few times, and the brackets have saved them (a side benefit). Ball heads rule, as long as what you get is a quality model.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • LadyJemimaLadyJemima Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    +1 for L-brackets. They're a necessity for shooting vertically on tripods. I got mine super cheap on eBay (good brand too)...
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Only just seen this, so I suspect the OP is already 'sorted'.
    If I wanted to frequently switch between L and P setups and (also) used some sort of QR plate / system, then I'd definitely give L brackets a good look - but I also suspect that there's there's no way I'd want to fork out the ££ often being asked for these things.

Some years ago (when shooting more macro) I made a flash rotator based on the design used by Newton flash rotators.
    Quicker than any L bracket I suspet.
    Has been used on 3 different (but similar) bodies - for both macro and 'normal' flash purposes.
    With the flash bracket / articulated arm removed, it also does a good job as a L / P flipper (yes, it has a 3/8 socket for tripod use)
    As the tripod socket is forward of the cam body, it's in a better position (imo) re centre of gravity for a cam + lens setup.

Although I've never seen any rrs (or other makes of these things) in the flesh, I'm sure they're well made etc ... but .. c'mon, bits of L shaped Ali like this are hardly rocket science :)

pp

• jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    As others have said, a RRS L Bracket and a quick release clamp will be the answer to your prayers.

John Cothron
    Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr