Help me decide: Everyday Camera

bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
edited December 8, 2016 in Cameras

Help! I've been wanting a new 'everyday/travel' compact for quite some time and have endlessly read reviews, poured over specs and even rented. Yet I'm still very much undecided. The current everyday carry is an older Sigma DP1s which I do like but it's slow and not great in low light. In short, I'm looking for a worthy travel camera to serve as an everyday carry that meets the following criteria...

• must be compact, budget around $1,000 or less
  • main mission is weekly urban exploring, secondary camera when the Fuji XT-1 is brought along, macro'ish capability for Photo Lego Dude ( https://www.instagram.com/photolegodude/ )
  • fixed lens - not interested in ILC don't want to carry lenses
  • limited zoom good but no mega zoom desired
  • external manual controls a plus
  • 1" sensor for high IQ
  • USB charging a plus - tired of carrying separate charger
  • fast/sharp lens

I realize a true do-it-all is nearly impossible so compromise will occur somewhere. Current leading contenders are the Fuji X70, Sony RX100 V, Nikon DL 18-50 or 24-85 (if they are ever released), Panasonic LX10 or LX100 and the Fuji X100T.

I rented the X70 awhile back and really liked it. Trouble is, I'm not quite sold on fixed focal length. While I'm a fan of 'zooming with your feet' there are times when it is physically impossible due to various things in your way. The X100T is also very interesting though the 35mm might not be wide enough (don't want the added expense or carry of the WCL). Granted, I could always stitch a pano together if needed to go wide.

So there it is, anyone use any of these recently? If you are interested in further thoughts, I wrote an admittedly lengthy blog post awhile back on the subject...

https://www.nicklasurephotography.com/blog/2016/3/6/best-travel-camera

Appreciate any input!

Tagged:

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

Of those choices the Sony RX100 V is pretty tough to beat for image quality, but the user interface is one thing people constantly complain about. Find all the reviews you can which have deep descriptions of the user interface and control/setting screens and see if that is suitable for your use. The 24-70mm equivalent zoom might be limiting for some uses.

I think that I could get used to it myself, but I would have to play with it a lot before I could get reasonably quick using that beast.

Have you also considered the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II? A bit longer zoom and similar image quality? It's also far from perfect but probably easier to operate with a fairly traditional user interface.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins

@ziggy53 said:
    Of those choices the Sony RX100 V is pretty tough to beat for image quality, but the user interface is one thing people constantly complain about. Find all the reviews you can which have deep descriptions of the user interface and control/setting screens and see if that is suitable for your use. The 24-70mm equivalent zoom might be limiting for some uses.

I think that I could get used to it myself, but I would have to play with it a lot before I could get reasonably quick using that beast.

Have you also considered the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II? A bit longer zoom and similar image quality? It's also far from perfect but probably easier to operate with a fairly traditional user interface.

I agree the RX100 probably has the best IQ overall. Like you mentioned, the lack of external controls is a turn off though as I don't want to dig through menus all the time. I did look at the G7X as well, might have to circle back to that.

Also it appears Fuji is going to release the X100F at some point along with Panasonic releasing the LX200 potentially in January. More food for thought... :D

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

I admire your diligence in camera selection. I purchased a Sony RX100 IV a few months ago for a backpacking trip, mainly based on reviews and a number of friends who've had older versions. I'm not really that picky. I knew I wanted a great sensor, manual controls, fast lens and raw image support, all in a pocketable package. Like you I figured there were several contenders, but the Sony gets rave reviews and I have friends with the older versions who've always been happy with them so I figured that was good enough for me. Ziggy is right though that the user interface could be improved, but it is something you get used to. No touch screen either which is an odd omission these days.

In case you missed it, I did a trip report with images from the RX100 here where I really took it through its paces. http://dgrin.com/discussion/comment/2039433

My RX100 IV recently came to an early demise unfortunately and I will be replacing it with the V.

@kdog said:
    I admire your diligence in camera selection.

Ha, thanks! Must be an age thing or something but I've become much more picky in recent years. Perhaps to the point of over analyzing because the camera it is replacing still makes great shots. Yet it requires just the right conditions to do so, thus the change for something more useful in varying light & conditions. Not to mention resolution for paid work and sales.

I purchased a Sony RX100 IV a few months ago for a backpacking trip, mainly based on reviews and a number of friends who've had older versions. I'm not really that picky. I knew I wanted a great sensor, manual controls, fast lens and raw image support, all in a pocketable package. Like you I figured there were several contenders, but the Sony gets rave reviews and I have friends with the older versions who've always been happy with them so I figured that was good enough for me. Ziggy is right though that the user interface could be improved, but it is something you get used to. No touch screen either which is an odd omission these days.

In case you missed it, I did a trip report with images from the RX100 here where I really took it through its paces. http://dgrin.com/discussion/comment/2039433

My RX100 IV recently came to an early demise unfortunately and I will be replacing it with the V.

Good shots! Looks like it was very bright and the RX100 handled it fairly well. Do you use any of the aftermarket apps at all? Some seem useful while others aren't needed if you know how to operate a camera, though they might be worth it if I have to spend 10 minutes in the menus :p

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 9, 2016

Thanks. The day shots were bright, but the night shots were pretty dark! :wink: That was actually my main concern, high ISO performance and long exposure noise, both of which used to be the bane of P&S cameras.

No, I hadn't delved into any apps yet and I agree with what you said for most of them. Although I think there's a intervalometer app that would be useful. I still haven't purchased the replacement yet, so I'm a bit out of the loop right now on it.

It now appears the Fuji X100F, Panasonic LX200 and Nikon DL series will be announced/released after the New Year. Might keep waiting for a bit.

• LadyJemimaLadyJemima Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2016
    High ISO in the dark is definitely the issue. I have a Panasonic DMC-LX5 it's a beauty in the daytime (love having a RAW option on a PAS) but in low-light...ugh. I find I just use my DSLR on vacations now...
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins

Don't know if this will throw a monkey wrench into the discussion but I picked up a used Sony a6000 with a lens for about $500 and I am thrilled with it. It is really a small camera with great low light sensitivity.. Being a mirrorless camera it and the lens are very light. You can go over to the Sony camera section and see some images I've done with this camera. Best of luck to ya.

@Hackbone said:
    Don't know if this will throw a monkey wrench into the discussion but I picked up a used Sony a6000 with a lens for about $500 and I am thrilled with it. It is really a small camera with great low light sensitivity.. Being a mirrorless camera it and the lens are very light. You can go over to the Sony camera section and see some images I've done with this camera. Best of luck to ya.

The a6000 and later series is intriguing but too big for this mission. I'm slowing my roll for a bit as new releases are expected soon and some other expenses came up.

Aaaand the DL Series is dead. #thanksNikon

http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/0213_dl.htm

Grumble grumble...

Well, after more research and too many YouTube reviews...the LX10 was the winner. The focus stacking, fast lens, value for the money & ergonomics were the deciding factors. Looking forward to shooting with it next week!

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@bike21 said:
    ...the LX10 was the winner. The focus stacking, fast lens, value for the money & ergonomics were the deciding factors. Looking forward to shooting with it next week!

I hope you'll share some photos here, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this camera.

I certainly will Denise, looking forward to seeing what it can do!

@bike21 said:
    Well, after more research and too many YouTube reviews...the LX10 was the winner. ...

Congratulations, Nick! The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10 is certainly capable.

Anxious to hear what you think of the "Depth From Defocus" AF system in different lighting conditions, and the "Hybrid OIS+". Both are unique Panasonic technologies.

ziggy53

First pic! Fine ride tonight along with a stellar sunset. I'm gonna like this camera I think!

Luscious and saturated skies! Very nice, Nick.

ziggy53
  • stella82stella82 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    @bike21 this is beautiful! Where is this, do you mind me asking?

@ziggy53 said:
    Luscious and saturated skies! Very nice, Nick.

Thanks Ziggy!

@stella82 said:
    @bike21 this is beautiful! Where is this, do you mind me asking?

My home in Boulder, Colorado :)

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

@bike21 said:
    First pic! Fine ride tonight along with a stellar sunset. I'm gonna like this camera I think!

OK. I'm not sure how it's better than your Fuji XT-1 but if you like it that's good
    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless/

@Brett1000 said:

@bike21 said:

OK. I'm not sure how it's better than your Fuji XT-1 but if you like it that's good

Umm...never mentioned it was better than the X-T1, just more portable and serves a different mission.

Tonight in Chicago with the LX10

Even better edit...

The 1" sensor plus decent glass, and your proper use of long exposure, really do add up to nice results!

ziggy53
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2017

"Umm...never mentioned it was better than the X-T1, just more portable and serves a different mission."

Umm... OK ... you kept mentioning the X-T1 camera in your blog, it's small and light and I thought you liked it "every day"
    I suppose one can have a different camera for each "mission"
    And I suppose each day can be a different "mission"

flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Brett, completely uncalled for. Please move along.

ziggy53

@ziggy53 said:
    Brett, completely uncalled for. Please move along.

Yeah, really don't get this line of reasoning.

@ziggy53 said:
    The 1" sensor plus decent glass, and your proper use of long exposure, really do add up to nice results!

Thanks much! Going to be a fun little camera at my side for sure, might even get a few stock or print worthy moments.