Mini-Challenge 244: The moon or moonlit nightscenes

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

For this mini I would like to see your moonshots or moonlit scenes (preferably with the moon in the frame). All is fair game as long as the moon is visible in the shot or the major light source is the moon. Looking forward to your entries.

This Mini-Challenge will run ~3 weeks and end on Wednesday April 5, 2017 at 8am Pacific Standard Time (17:00 Central European Time).

OUR UNOFFICIAL GENERAL RULES

1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
  2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
  3. The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
  4. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used (but for this challenge it has to be taken in 2016).
  5. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
  6. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
  7. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:

1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
  2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
  3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
  4. Give each image you enter a title.
  5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
  6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
  7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:

1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
  2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
  3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
  4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
  5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
  6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
  7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
  8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Here are a few examples:

Good luck to all participants B)

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2017

Cool idea, Pieter! I don't have too many to choose from, so I'll jump right in.

1) Moon over Lake Garda, Italy

2) Moon over Carcassonne, France

3) Moon over Rathaus (Town Hall), Augsburg

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great entries Sara, thanks for entering and kicking this mini off.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

Thanks Pieter, I was happy to have had a few photos that fit the requirements.

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

This is a very unique theme Pieter! As always, I'm just sharing for fun so please don't consider mine for judging.

1 Eclipse

2 Alaska full moon close up

3 Super moon rising

Wow Joyce, these are all great and that super moon shot is stunning!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 16, 2017

Thank you @sarasphotos Sara ! The Super moon shot was taken about 10 pm. In freezing cold temps. This image was taken for one of the dgrin mega challenges I think. If not for just a regular challenge.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I don't have many moonscapes, but here are a couple. Good mini topic and Joyce and Sara - great shots!

Start of Eclipse - 2011

A little daylight moonshot

And a boring moonshot.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

I have almost no photos of the moon.

This one I was trying to take a picture of the ring around the moon
    1) Ice Moon

2) Belize Moon - taken with a point and shoot film camera in 1998. I planned the trip so I would be in Tikal at the time of a full moon (which was a couple of days after this photo was taken) but on that night, the sky was cloudy so we didn't get to see the moon rise.

3) Moon Rise over the Patuxent

And this is NOT the moon, but I took these photo because I thought they looked moonlike

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2017

1 Down town Houston moon light reflection

2 SUPER MOON Ascending in Las Vegas

3 SUPER MOON Descending Morning in Arizona

FROM THE MOON
    Not for consideration, but I thought it was worth sharing for this topic :-)

Thanks for submitting GrandmaR and Gatto, all very nice entries.

Hope we get a few more before it closes, there's still more then a week left so dumpster dive your archives for moon shots, or even better, go out on a clear night and take some new ones.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 29, 2017

Just looked through my archive for any photos that might fit this theme. I am sharing three photos but please don't consider them in the judging as I may not have access to the internet during an upcoming trip. Thanks.

1) Clouds moving past the moon, as seen from Maui, Hawaii

2) Moonlit beach and photographer (my son) on Pawley's Island, S.C.

3) Moon over Antwerp, Belgium

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2017

Will have an attempt here. I only have a few pictures including the moon.

1. Going to the moon

1. A (blue) Angel reaching for the moon

1. Reflection in the river

This mini-challenge is now closed. Thanks for entering, judging will commence now and I'll post the results in one of the coming days.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug