Drought conditions on Lake Lanier, GA

jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins

I shoot Lake Lanier a lot since I live so close to it. Water levels have been very low for quite some time. So much so that grass and vegetation are starting to grow on what use to be the lake bottom. Many times I'm out for a sunset shot far before sunset, and while searching for compositions I've started to try to capture some of the geology and structure on the shores. I thought it might be an interesting series and decided to share some.

John Cothron
Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Good stuff, John. In this case, I much prefer the color shots. The color brings more " life " to the parts that were once under the water. Shot #3 really is the best at showing the stark degree of change. There's a sizable lake in Florida's lake region that I skied on a lot. It's now bone dry. Many other lakes, some even larger, are but a shadow of what they were.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I really like these. I have no criticisms to offer.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Love #3 and #8. Cheers!

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Really nice series. I especially like 1 and 5.

Steve

Website
  • jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins

@black mamba said:
    Good stuff, John. In this case, I much prefer the color shots. The color brings more " life " to the parts that were once under the water. Shot #3 really is the best at showing the stark degree of change. There's a sizable lake in Florida's lake region that I skied on a lot. It's now bone dry. Many other lakes, some even larger, are but a shadow of what they were.

Thank you, I agree about #3. I have several shots of that area and a few looking off the other side of the bridge. It is really grown up in that direction.

@Cornflake said:
    I really like these. I have no criticisms to offer.

@Stumblebum said:
    Love #3 and #8. Cheers!

@Cygnus Studios said:
    Really nice series. I especially like 1 and 5.

Thank you! I'm pretty partial to 4 and 8.

John Cothron
    Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

If I were going to hang one, it would be 6. Tastes vary.