Options

A few questions before signing up

daveeddaveed Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have alot of photos that I would like to upload.

The upload interface is very imprtant to me. I need to easily upload alot of photos:

I checked out the uploading help page, and it appears that uploading is handled through an activeX control from persits software. My questions are:

1)Whats the upload limit for pro accounts per upload. For example am I limited to 100MB of uploading per session?

2)Smugmug resizes the photos. Are the photos resized on my computer and then uploaded to smugmug or is all the resizing done on smugmugs server.

3) Just in general how reliable is the uploading? Does it work pretty good?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    daveed wrote:
    I have alot of photos that I would like to upload.

The upload interface is very imprtant to me. I need to easily upload alot of photos:

I checked out the uploading help page, and it appears that uploading is handled through an activeX control from persits software. My questions are:

1)Whats the upload limit for pro accounts per upload. For example am I limited to 100MB of uploading per session?
    Why there's a fancy universal beta java uploader that doesn't have any limits at all thumb.gif
    daveed wrote:
    2)Smugmug resizes the photos. Are the photos resized on my computer and then uploaded to smugmug or is all the resizing done on smugmugs server.
    It's all done on smugmug's servers. Your photos on your computer are not altered in any way shape or form!
    daveed wrote:
    3) Just in general how reliable is the uploading? Does it work pretty good?

Thanks for any help.
    The uploading is awesome. It's just never something I have to think about at all. Like anything, there are times when things break, but that's very rare and things are fixed as fast as possible.

Hope that helps!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    daveed wrote:
    Just to clarify: Smugmug does not resize your ORIGINAL files, they are still intact and untouched. What they do (on their own server, not yours) is make smaller sizes that load faster so your web page is quick. But if you - or anyone with priveleges to that gallery - want to see or download the original file, it is available.

HTH
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Hey, feel free to use my referral code, we both benefit!

CLGbTHzpo7yxc
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Hi Daveed,

Thanks for considerting SmugMug! I can't add much to what the guys here have said, other than we'd love to have you!

wave.gif And welcome to Dgrin!
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Darn it!
    Or if you want to help the guy who helped you you can use my referral code mwink.gif gDw... EDIT: Oh nevermind that's kind of weak.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Signup for smugmug now, you won't regret it.
  • Options
    daveeddaveed Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 2, 2005
    thanks for all the help guys. This seems like a very helpful, friendly place.

Thanks again.