Teleconverter 2X

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Hello all,

I would like to shoot the Red Bull air race in San Diego in April but my biggest lens is a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS :{{ . Is a 2 X teleconverter enough to get decent shots without cropping like crazy? Also I found on CG a Kenko 2.0X Pro 300 Teleconverter DGX-E For Canon EOS for $70 is this a decent teleconverters ?

Thank you all

Bountyphotographer

:photo

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator

The genuine Canon teleconverters are best, but on an EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (or IS USM) the image quality takes quite a hit. I have not generated any images that I can show or even care about. Just bleh.

A teleconverter also affects relative aperture, so your f2.8 lens suddenly becomes an f5.6, but you'll want to stop down at least one stop to slightly sharpen the image, so now you're at f8. AF is also affected so don't expect reliable AF for the air show.

Do yourself a favor and purchase at least a Sigma "Bigma", 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM. Not cheap (even used) and not great it's much more capable than using a 2x converter on your 70-200mm.

A Canon EF 400mm, f5.6L USM prime is an even better choice, but you might need more cropping in post.

Renting is a valid option to get what you need.

Whatever you do, get something early enough to practice before the day of the air show. Best intentions alone will not produce good results.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Thank you Ziggy ..not sure I want to buy a teleconverter now my other option was to rent a teleconverter for $20 per day ....I rarely use more than 200 mm so might be the best option for that air show day ...

• BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Just found a Canon 100-400 for a day :}}}}

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator

^^ That should work.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums