Street tableaux

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited April 2, 2017 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Good stuff... nice comps

Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

It's good to see you're out and rambling around again, Richard. These pictures speak volumes about the state of things in our society. In the first shot, all the young folks are absorbed with their phones. The older person is reading. Again, in the second shot, the person sitting on the steps is on the phone. I agree with Rags about the comps in these shots and, as always, I like your PP work.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Thanks, Tom and Rags. Glad you liked them.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

Fine pics and may be Tom has got what the pics are telling. But I am not sure. No. 2 has on the right a strange looking person. What is his relation to the other person if any? Is the point that modern people are all strangers to each others?

Well, Tom is certainly right that everyone is using their cell phones all the time. Though that's part of both of these scenes, it wasn't what I was thinking about when shooting. In #1 I was mostly concerned with composition--the shadow lines and the arrangement of people and the statue. In #2, it was more a matter of how the people were dwarfed by the imposing (overbearing?) architecture of the cathedral. The people in that one were not together, but again I was mainly concerned with the geometry. Of course, the images stand on their own and everyone is free to make their own interpretation regardless of my intent.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I really like the play and placement of the shadows in the first image. Everyone on the phone is in the shade too, except for the person with his back to the viewer walking away. Nicely captured, Richard.

I like the second image, but the people there seem more just for scale. To my eye, the building is the subject, whereas in the first image the people are the subjects. I like both.

JMO

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Thanks, Jim. What I liked in #2 was how small the people were compared to the building. I could have shot the building without the people, but that would have been a very different image, in my mind.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2017

Both are fine shots. I like the juxtaposition of small people with large building in the second. The first is my favorite. It might have been marginally better if the woman behind the statue wasn't merged with it, but perfection is elusive.