Options

The Spokane Falls with spring runoff

Jester243Jester243 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited April 5, 2017 in Landscapes

This was my first attempt with a ND filter, I think it came out pretty well although there is a lot I would have done differently, ideas on what to change? We are heading out this weekend to try it again.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited April 6, 2017

From a learning perspective, it came out well enough. The camera seems to have been rock solid and the exposure looks about spot on for the end of the day with a sliver of light remaining.

How many stops down is the filter? What was the exposure time? Looks a little too long for my taste as the falls turned into more of a soft foam than appearing as raging water. A little goes a long way with falls and exposure times. The tree limbs also moved with the wind. Things like that are often overlooked while shooting, but it is something to look out for. A shorter exposure, say 1 second, might have prevented the tree movements and blurred the water enough for the effect without fully milking it out.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

In general it looks fine to me. I would try to get a little more perspective by putting something more in the foreground. The small branches on the left is not enoight to have an effect.

• Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Very nice rendition of the falls. Nice place to be too, we lived in C.D.A. and would visit the waterfront park and downtown often. My suggestion would be to have a bit less smoothness to the water and ditch the branches. Have you shot at the Post Falls dam at this time of the year? It's very fierce when the flow is high in the spring.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great shot , great light. I agree with David's assessment 100%. The other thing I would have done is remove the branch from the lower left, as it adds nothing, and is a bit of a distraction. Great starting point.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    Jester243Jester243 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins

@David_S85 said:
    From a learning perspective, it came out well enough. The camera seems to have been rock solid and the exposure looks about spot on for the end of the day with a sliver of light remaining.

How many stops down is the filter? What was the exposure time? Looks a little too long for my taste as the falls turned into more of a soft foam than appearing as raging water. A little goes a long way with falls and exposure times. The tree limbs also moved with the wind. Things like that are often overlooked while shooting, but it is something to look out for. A shorter exposure, say 1 second, might have prevented the tree movements and blurred the water enough for the effect without fully milking it out.

agreed on all points, the light was dropping off so fast I had to leave the shutter open longer than I really wanted to get the exposure I wanted. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and give this a second go and try to correct some of those things. Thank you for the feedback!

• Options
    jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins

Nice image, I agree with what David originally said about the shutter time. I also saw your comment and understand that situation well enough :smile: Would increasing the ISO speed help you there? The smaller branches on the left bother me a little, more specifically the lower one but I also know that sometimes you just don't have a choice. Overall nice image, really like the light you captured!

John Cothron
    Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet capture!

• Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins

Mooi al ben ik geen fan van dat trage water.
    grt,boco.

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Beautiful. Love the power in this shot. Looking forward to seeing any reshoots.

• Options
    TMcEwenTMcEwen Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

Great capture.

- Thomas McEwen - (Nashville, TN)
    http://www.tmcewenphotography.com/
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins

as mentioned above, I think the exposure is a little too long. Almost looks like to photo's fused.
    I like the composition though, and the way the building is illuminated. I'd be tempted to go back with a shorter shutter, and hopefully with more detail in the sky. Good subject though and worth persevering with!