Mini Challenge 245: The Sun

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
edited April 7, 2017 in The Dgrin Challenges

I thought it would take long to find a subject for the next mini challenge, but why make it complicated. From the moon in the previous challenge, we switch to the sun.

There is only one condition: The sun has to be in the picture.

Looking forward to your entries.

This Mini-Challenge will run a bit less than 3 weeks and end on Wednesday April 26, 2017 at 8am Pacific Standard Time (17:00 Central European Time). I will announce the winners on Thursday April 27 (because I'm traveling from the 28th till May 1st and have limited access to a computer.)

OUR UNOFFICIAL GENERAL RULES

Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:

Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
Give each image you enter a title.
Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:

Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Here are a few examples:

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 24, 2017

Logistical thinking there Peter! I'm gonna play just for showing examples, but like always do not consider mine in the judging of the challenge.
    EDIT:Due to recent discussion in moderator land, my images can now be considered for judging. Good luck Peter!

1 Impromptu shot of Stork at sunset

2 golden light in Key Largo

3 Caribbean sunrise

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Do reflections (only) count - provided it's obvious that it's the sun?

pp

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

puzzledpaul: yes, as long as it's the sun.

Joyce: very nice examples.

I think this is a subject a lot of people have in their pictures. At least, that is what I hope.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

I would expect that a lot of the pictures are going to be of sunsets. Although I am hoping to also see an eclipse or two (I don't have any of those except for a photo of the elclipse on the TV)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

1 Sun through morning fog at the reserve

2) Sunset after the storm

3)Sun, fog, reeds and small birds

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2017

From the Ship

From the Beach

From the Desert

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2017

1)
    SUNRISE after the SNOW

The sunrise on the previous day had a red sky (Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning)

2) Christmas Day Sunset

3) Ocean Sunset

This was taken with a point and shoot film camera about 16 years ago, and I can't find the original picture. So this isn't that good a photo (IMO)

And this one is only for your amusement - not for the contest. When we traveled by our boat down the Intercoastal Waterway, we would often make 24 hour sails offshore - So we would go from southern NC offshore to Charleston, and then from Charleston to Fernandina Beach, and we always went offshore from Ft. Pierce to Miami. The above photo was taken on the way back up the ICW from Miami to Ft Pierce. We would stand watches so that we could get some sleep.

I was at the wheel (and Bob was asleep) one morning sailing south off the coast of Georgia. I could not figure out how I could be seeing land to the east of me

Until the sun actually came up and I saw it was clouds on the horizon and not land. Obviously I was a bit loopy from not sleeping :blush:

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Wow! Very nice entries.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

I don't have many, but I did find this one.

I'll keep searching to see if I find any more.

Sherry P.

• AceRphAceRph Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins

Sunset - January 5, 2016
    U Bien Teak Bridge, Mandalay, Myanmar

Sun Rise - January 17, 2016
    Bagan, Myanmar

Sunset - February 10, 2017
    Ha Long Bay, Vietnam

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins
    I guess its time to stop just looking, and say something. I am pretty new to Digital Grin - can't share any images yet. I am really enjoying this challenge theme! We have not seen much of the sun in my part of the world recently so these images are a nice lift. And, the composition and light in these images gets the creative juices flowing. I at least revisited my sun images from years past. I am going to paste a link to one, apologies for breaking protocol, but I just want to see what happens.
    https://dave-gillespie.smugmug.com/Daves-Favourites/Landscapes/i-HHttjK3/L

Welcome to dgrin @DavidRGillespie ! You should be able to participate in this challenge now. I look forward to seeing you images. Enjoy!

This is my first attempt at an image post here at DGrin. Crossing my fingers and hoping it doesn't mess up! I appreciate comments and suggestions

Securing the boat, Spring Island, British Columbia
    -

Kelly Lake British Columbia - cabin and sunburst

Sun through smoke (this was taken during a period when smoke from forest fires covered the sky)

I have not got my signature block sorted out yet - bear with me.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Knokke

Tuscany 1

Tuscany 2

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Haven't entered one of these in years! Here goes...

Sunset at Conneaut
    Sunset at Conneaut

Morning on the Dock
    Morning at the Dock 2

Wheat Field Sunset
    Wheat Field Sunset

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins

@DavidRGillespie said:
    This is my first attempt at an image post here at DGrin. Crossing my fingers and hoping it doesn't mess up! I appreciate comments and suggestions

Securing the boat, Spring Island, British Columbia

Kelly Lake British Columbia - cabin and sunburst

Sun through smoke (this was taken during a period when smoke from forest fires covered the sky)

I have not got my signature block sorted out yet - bear with me.

My favorites are 2 and 3 in these. Three almost looks like a silhouette of dinosaurs fighting or something. Really like that.

Admittedly, I could be biased--my wife and I love British Columbia.

@David_S85 said:
    Haven't entered one of these in years! Here goes...

Sunset at Conneaut

Morning on the Dock

Wheat Field Sunset

Love the wheat field. Gorgeous.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I've been enjoying all of the entries so far - Peter, you're going to have a tough time judging! Here are my three:

1) Looking over the Alps from the Wendelstein, Bavaria

2) Sunset over the Altantic in Bretagne

3) Sunset in Jamestown, Rhode Island

Yes indeed, it will be very difficult to pick one winner. I've seen already a lot of very nice entries.

Wow! Awesome images in this thread! I'm enjoying looking at the entries. Very pleasant to look at! Nice work everyone!
    I have changed out one of my images and made a note in my post.

• BeautifulWorldBeautifulWorld Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    1. Staring at the Sun

2. September Equinox in Chicago

3. Sunset in Negril, Jamaica

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    1. Partial eclipse (just a bite)

2. Melting into the gulf

3. Reflections in an antique rose bowl

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Fun to see what everyone has been contributing for this challenge! Here are three from me.

1) Milford Sound in New Zealand

2) Watching the Sun Go Down (Captiva, Florida)

3) Golden Light in Colorado

This challenge is closed now. Everyone thanks for submitting your pictures!

Results will follow tomorrow.

What a fabulous set of images from everyone! We have not seen much sun here on the wet coast of North America, so they are doubly appreciated.
    DoubleEntendre - thanks for the comments - I had not noticed the dinosaurs fighting :)