DGrin is Now on Vanilla Forums

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

If you select Mark all read, it won't show up until you leave the website.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 2, 2017

@ChrisJ said:
    Thanks, guys! It's still not optimal, but ...
    I don't understand why the timestamp can't be included with the date.
    Anyway, I'll see how it works in "real" use for a while. Thanks for the help!

Small screens don't necessarily have the room for the date, year and time. But if it helps, with a pointing device, the time of the day shows up as a tool tip if you hover over it.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

It just takes a little getting used to--mark as read removes the green New label, but the Discussions list is not like the New Stuff display we had before. The timestamp is visible as a tool-tip when you hover the mouse over a date.

@grandmaR said:
    If you select Mark all read, it won't show up until you leave the website.

You don't have to leave the site--just reload the page. I would have made the mark button automatically reload instead of putting up a flyout message, but it's a minor annoyance to me.

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins

Thank goodness the green reputation buttons are gone.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

When people enter 3 photos in the Dgrin mini-challenges, Vanilla forums seems to renumber them all 1 instead of 1,2,3. My work around is numbering entries 1), 2), 3). But perhaps there is a simpler way for us to do this? Thanks.

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins

Now that things have settled down, is there any chance of seeing a preview of the first post when you hover over the thread title?
    Was a very welcome feature on the old format and it would be awesome if it could be added to the new format.

My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

@AceCo55 said:
    Now that things have settled down, is there any chance of seeing a preview of the first post when you hover over the thread title?
    Was a very welcome feature on the old format and it would be awesome if it could be added to the new format.

I'm struggling to search for a plugin that might do this, since every time i search for "preview post" I just get results for previewing a draft of the response you're writing. If you happen to come across one, we can investigate adding it.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2017

Any way to see the number of views for a particular post? Never mind, found it!

@sarasphotos said:
    Any way to see the number of views for a particular post? Never mind, found it!

Really? Where?

At least for the threads I started, it's visible under My Profile/Discussions. I do miss the old tooltip, though.

Hey thanks, Sara--I guess I never looked at that page. You're right, though--the old one was better.

• BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2017

Delete a post?

• ZyreenjenZyreenjen New member Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    I've just got signed in again and I've seen the changes I'm not yet quite familiar. :)
  • ZyreenjenZyreenjen New member Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2017
    But I guess this changes is a lot more better. and yeah I've noticed the emoji's got lesser. haha. The emoji's now are limited to the usual emoji's we are using

@BigAl said:
    Delete a post?

Click on the little gear icon at the upper right of the post, then select delete.

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

Just posted some code and the format isn't working correctly. The "greater than" ( '>' ) shows >.

Thanks, Mike. YouTube embedding also seems to be broken. Looks like we have a new version of Vanilla and it has some problems.

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

After the flurry of postings on a couple of older topics I just want to say this again:

It is pointless and annoying to get a dozen emails about the same topic, with no actual content. If you are going to send more than one email INCLUDE THE CONTENT. If you are not, it would be much nicer to send one email (since last login per topic) and stop. I had two pages of emails from DGrin last night, which when distilled down to topics were 4.

@Richard said:
    Hey thanks, Sara--I guess I never looked at that page. You're right, though--the old one was better.

@Richard : Over the weekend as I was away I discovered that interestingly enough, in the mobile view the number of views is shown on the Recent Discussions page. Sure wish we could have it on the Desktop version...

@Ferguson said:
    After the flurry of postings on a couple of older topics I just want to say this again:

It is pointless and annoying to get a dozen emails about the same topic, with no actual content. If you are going to send more than one email INCLUDE THE CONTENT. If you are not, it would be much nicer to send one email (since last login per topic) and stop. I had two pages of emails from DGrin last night, which when distilled down to topics were 4.

Amen! As dgrin's admin, I'm subscribed to many of the categories and posts across the site and it drives me BONKERS that the emails don't tell me anything except "hey, you should check out dgrin."

I've emailed Vanilla about this countless times but their team keeps insisting that their customers prefer it the way it is: forum owners want their members to read the posts on the forum and not in the email. I completely disagree. Feel free to let Vanilla know that you'd like the message of the post to be included in the email

dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

I much preferred vBulletin's notification options. The only email notification I use now is for PMs, which do include the text. The others are just a PITA.

BTW, we're having some issues with a couple of things that are broken right now in the markdown editor (code blocks and YouTube embedding). These could be avoided if we switch to a WYSIWYG editor option. There were a number of complaints about the markdown editor when we first went live on Vanilla. Have you guys gotten used to it or would you prefer a WYSIWIG user interface? I don't think there's much difference in the functionality, if any.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

@Ferguson said:

In addition to what Aaron just mentioned, you can control what forums you get email from. If you want to stop the flood, you have settings for that.

Click the gear icon on the top right.
    You'll land on your Profile page.
    Navigate to and click Notifications

Instead of email you can alternately select Dgrin popups which overlay on the bottom left of the forum when you visit.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@Richard said:
    I much preferred vBulletin's notification options. The only email notification I use now is for PMs, which do include the text. The others are just a PITA.

BTW, we're having some issues with a couple of things that are broken right now in the markdown editor (code blocks and YouTube embedding). These could be avoided if we switch to a WYSIWYG editor option. There were a number of complaints about the markdown editor when we first went live on Vanilla. Have you guys gotten used to it or would you prefer a WYSIWIG user interface? I don't think there's much difference in the functionality, if any.

You'd be surprised the # of people who write in telling me they need more text based formatting options. I'm fine with a WYSIWIG editor but I also love that I can type formatting as well (markdown). I'll let dgrinners decide what they want, though.

Can you point me to some examples of the markdown editor issues so I can forward to the Vanilla team?

dGrin Afficionado

@leftquark said:

@Ferguson said:

Amen! As dgrin's admin, I'm subscribed to many of the categories and posts across the site and it drives me BONKERS that the emails don't tell me anything except "hey, you should check out dgrin."

I've emailed Vanilla about this countless times but their team keeps insisting that their customers prefer it the way it is: forum owners want their members to read the posts on the forum and not in the email. I completely disagree. Feel free to let Vanilla know that you'd like the message of the post to be included in the email

I actually get that desire, as most of their sites probably derive ad revenue from views. But why not offer a "once per thread per login" frequency then. That's not quite as convenient of course, but it does cut down on the clutter.

As to letting Vanilla know: sure, they are not interested in a customer, but are interested in a forum member of a customer. :o

I'm surprised, since I am on a ton of forums, and the only other one like this (one per update always, no content) is Nikonians which has their own software as far as I know. I would have expected to run across other Vanilla forums. I'll have to look more closely.

Vanilla just informed me that they can enable the message body in the emails! We're testing it out now to make sure everything looks good and should have it enabled for everyone soon! They definitely made me a happy camper this morning!

dGrin Afficionado

@Hikin' Mike said:
    Just posted some code and the format isn't working correctly. The "greater than" ( '>' ) shows >.

It looks like this has been fixed. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

Yep -- the awesome staff at Vanilla jumped right on this and are still sifting through all the various ways the code blocks can be displayed to make sure they got all the spots!

dGrin Afficionado

@leftquark said:

You'd be surprised the # of people who write in telling me they need more text based formatting options. I'm fine with a WYSIWIG editor but I also love that I can type formatting as well (markdown). I'll let dgrinners decide what they want, though.

Well, I suppose it comes down to programmers vs. the rest of us. If you are used to markdown, it's certainly faster, but if not, you might prefer something that works more like Word's GUI. With the WYSIWYG, there's no need to preview. The are a few things that work better--you can delete a draft and it goes away, for example--and a couple of things like text alignment or html view that probably don't matter to anyone. The behavior of the # sign is flaky in both editors, but in slightly different ways, so no gain there. Code formatting has now been fixed in markdown and YouTube embedding is broken in both editors, as far as I can see. I think the vast majority of posts don't use any of the formatting options at all, so it probably doesn't make much difference.

@leftquark said:
    Vanilla just informed me that they can enable the message body in the emails! We're testing it out now to make sure everything looks good and should have it enabled for everyone soon! They definitely made me a happy camper this morning!

Cool. Progress!