Options

Will SmugMug's IOS App allow organizing of photos on the IPad or IPhone anytime in the near future?

stevelewisstevelewis Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
Hi,

I'm Steve, soon to be an Ex-Phanfare user. Our family really liked Phanfare's IOS App. You could create Albums and Organize Photos right on the IPad or IPhone without using the desktop version at all. SmugMug's IOS App can't organize photos on the IPad or IPhone. You can just view them. Will that feature be available anytime soon? Even if I could organize the photos through the Safari Web Browser I would do that but it doesn't seem to do that through the Safari browser. Would it work in the Google Chrome browser on the IPad? Our family really love using our mobile devices with our pictures and have been doing it that way for years with Phanfare. Even knowing this will be possible sometime in the near future would be worth waiting for in SmugMug.

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

We have a number of iterations planned to our iOS and Android apps to help make things easier for customers doing photography on their phones however organizing probably won't make it on the near future list. It's certainly something we'd consider adding to the apps in the future though!

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    I thought maybe it would work in the browser of an IPad but it doesn't seem too. Is there any browser (Google Chrome, Foxfire) that I can download to the IPad which may make this work? Do you think it would work on a simple Google Chrome notebook. I'm trying to come up with a way my family can still do this without carrying around a big notebook computer.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins

Did you try the organizer in Safari on your iPad? That's the same tool on regular computers that should allow you to arrange and move photos, galleries and folders among other things. Tap+hold on one or more selected items and you should be able to arrange / move them.
    You can also use the sort drop down menu in the upper right of it to have items sorted by different criteria.
    For additional details on the organizer and using it, you can check out this page.

Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Thank you Rainforest. I was able to move photos in Safari on IPad like you said.

I am having more problems with the SmugMug IOS App. The Phanfare Albums were date order so I'm making folders "2017" "2016" "2015" and then putting those galleries in those folders accordingly. So for this year in folder "2017" I have 20 Galleries . The problem is in the IOS App when I click on the "2017" folder the App is stuck loading forever. It doesn't seem to be able to load the 20 Galleries of the folder. Is 20 Galleries per folder too much for IOS App to handle?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins

20 galleries should be no problem for the app. If a folder doesn't appear to load properly, you can try logging out of your account in the app, close the app completely (press home button once to return to home screen, then double press the home button and swipe up on the SmugMug app card to close it fully) and then open the app and log back in.

In case that doesn't seem to do the trick, is your iPad set to 12 hour time? If so, it can help if you switch your device to 24 hour time in the iOS settings app > general > date/time section. Afterwards fully close the app again and open it fresh.

Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

@rainforest1155 said:
    In case that doesn't seem to do the trick, is your iPad set to 12 hour time? If so, it can help if you switch your device to 24 hour time in the iOS settings app > general > date/time section. Afterwards fully close the app again and open it fresh.

We're also working on a fix for this that won't require you to do this awkward date/time switch. If changing the date/time doesn't work, let us know, and I'd like one of our developers to get in touch with you to help troubleshoot. The galleries should load nearly instantly.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    robbophotorobbophoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    have just managed to get it to work on iPhone using the Puffin Browser App. I only really need the setting to add contacts to galleries with people i choose setting when I'm on the go and can't access the laptop. just tried out today and it works fine. i won't be using it to organise my galleries but this will make my like a lot easier with clients when I'm on the go.
  • Options
    KarinaExPhanfareKarinaExPhanfare Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins

I must admit I am really missing the ability to update via my phone. I use to lay in bed at the end of each day and type up my blog and upload the days photos so easily (even more so when travelling).
    Now I have to log into the organiser to edit the Page I have transferred my blog to and that cant be done on the phone. So I tend to be leaving it for the weekend when I am using the desktop puter. So of course by then I have forgotten my daily thoughts that I wanted to add to my blog. Its lost all the spontaneity for me.

I was also a little sad to notice after I went to all the effort of making pages for so many parts of my "albums" that were text heavy - that I cannot physically view the pages in the existing phone ap.

A quality useable phone ap would be great.