Options

Lightroom Plugin

TerranTerran Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins

Hi, I just installed the smugmug plugin for Lightroom, and wondering about the checkboxes sync folders and galleries, and sync pictures.
I have a folder called Landscapes on my smugmug site with photos for sale. I have a folder with the same name in Lightroom, however it has considerably more photos, including subfolders. If I sync, will all of those photos now show up in that gallery in Smugmug, and also be visible and purchasable? I don't want that to happen.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

I suppose the term "sync" is a bad term in this case. What the "sync" does is to teach Lightroom what all the albums and galleries and photos that are already on SM. When complete, it will "match" any photo on SM to the same photo in your Lightroom catalog. Essentially it'll find all the photos in your LR catalog and know that it's on SM. It does not transfer any photos. You have to manually initiate a publish for additional photos to be sent to SM.

To add new photos from your computer to SM you would drag the photos onto the SmugMug publish service and then click "Publish".

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

As a very long time user one recommendation: Do everything from Lightroom, not Smugmug. Not because one works better than the other, but because if you make your lightroom catalog be the one version of the truth, it is easier to keep things updated on Smugmug. Otherwise you get little discrepancies that are difficult to reconcile.

About the only thing I change directly on Smugmug is page code (CSS, etc.), and smart galleries (that are not on Smugmug at all --- DON'T SYNC THEM), and sorting folders and some galleries manually.

Note also that Smart Galleries on Smugmug are completely separate and distinct and different from Smart Galleries on Lightroom. A lightroom smart gallery becomes a regular gallery on Smugmug.

But let your own system be the master where you can, and it will be a lot more reliable and stable.

Yes, Smugmug is working on two way synchronization. I get that customers demand things, but two way sync is just a bad idea for most people.

• Options
    TerranTerran Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins

@leftquark and @Ferguson , thank-you so much for the replies. Good advice and it clears it up for me.