Canon 40D - drill hole in bottom?

MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins

Does anybody know if it is safe to drill a small hole in the bottom of a Canon 40D, about 2 or 3 mm deep?
I want to make a small hole / indent to accommodate a tripod plate pin to stop the plate moving.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Yikes! There are plates that don't move at all, and without drilling. Why not use one of those?
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Camera-Plates-L-Plates?_ga=2.123493195.1778151634.1494054465-308798618.1494054465

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2017

The problem is I need a plate that fits a Gitzo Gh1780qr Tripod Head. This is a fairly small square plate.
    Example of head and plate here:
    https://www.terapeak.com/worth/gitzo-gh1780qr-tripod-head-ballhead-with-quick-release-plate-used/310760813819/

The camera is quite old and not often used (some occasional basic home studio stuff) so I don't mind drilling a small hole as long as I know I will not kill it.

I have considered glueing the plate to the camera but there is a rubber pad that probably wont stick that well.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Have you considered making a thin intermediate plate that fits between the gitzo one and the cam base, but has anti rotation features - of your design on it?

pp

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@puzzledpaul said:
    Have you considered making a thin intermediate plate that fits between the gitzo one and the cam base, but has anti rotation features - of your design on it?

pp

This seems like a much safer option. I'd be nervous about drilling--even if you don't hit something directly, the vibration probably wouldn't be good for the mechanical parts. Another option might be to glue a small washer to the camera bottom so that the pin fits in the hole. For that to work, the mounting screw would need to be long enough, and you might have to glue a second one to keep the camera level.

Thanks for the suggestions
    Glueing a thin intermediate plate with a hole may be the way to go. Hadn't thought of this.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 6, 2017

While you might fabricate something, don't use glue to hold onto your camera body - bad decision.

I looked at your link - that Gitzo tripod gh1780qr looks rather like an Arca Swiss compatible head to me. I know most Gitzo tripods are Arca_Swiss compatible, but I'm not sure about yours and its hard to be certain with the links I find online. If yours is, then ReallyRight Stuff will already have the small square plate Arca_Swiss plate you need for maybe $30. Or less.

Looking further, I think I found the plate you need on Amazon for $40, but I'm not sure. It was listed on Amazon along with the Gitzo gh1780QR tripod. One thing I am sure is the you can't just mount the 40D directly to the tripod head without a plate of some kind.

It MAY be possible to replace the tripod clamp itself with a new Arca-Swiss compatible clamp - I do know ReallyRightStuff does sell Arca-Swiss compatible tripod clamps to mount on existing ball heads - I've done it myself several times. Usually there is a male flat head bolt through the clamp down into the stem of the ball head itself. Rarely the tripod clamp is a female thread that screws onto the tripod ball shaft. Remove that bolt and the tripod clamp can be removed and exchanged with an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp. One you've done that Arca-Swis compatible camera plates are made by RRS, Kerk, and lots of other folks.

A new clamp may cost a bit, but it will securely hold your camera in place properly

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 6, 2017

Just as a fyi ... I wasn't considering glue being used (other than possibly on the intermediate plate, I suppose.) - I'd be more likely to be thinking about bending portions of same intermediate plate to polarise it / stop rotation relative to the cam body ... ie essentially offering a suitable hole in a stable, correct position in 3D space to mate with the Gitzo's pin.

Jim's (pathfinder) approach is probably the better / more sensible, altho it's one I wouldn't adopt for something like this, since I hate spending money on gear I can make / fix myself.

pp

edited May 7, 2017

I like making gear too, but the stuff from RRS i can't begin to compete with. Their stuff just works, and has never failed me yet.

I can appreciate fabricating something to work with the existing tripod, but converting the existing tripod to an Arcs-Swiss mount opens up so many more possibilities. I hate tripods with proprietary tripod clamps, they are the bane of the earth I think.

Thanks pathfinder, I couldn't see anything on the ReallyRightStuff website so I have sent them an email.

I've no idea how much gear you have (or intend getting / adding) that you'd like to use with this head - but this is surely another factor to consider?

I agree that the Arca Swiss route - in terms of a standardised approach to interchangeability - is / would be the best one to take if you intend to use a load of gear that you want to swap on a regular basis - but not everyone needs this degree of flexibility?
    What's your situation?

pp

edited May 7, 2017

Martyn, what you really need to find out is whether your existing tripod head will work with Arca-Swiss compatible camera plates - if it does, just a little 2 inch square plate that is Arca-Swiss compatible is all you need to bolt to the bottom of your 40D. I KNOW RRS makes that plate ( i own a couple myself for Point and Shoot camera bodies ) - it won't be found by searching for the Gitzo gh1780qr - instead simply call the folks at RRS and ask them if they know if your tripod clamp is Arca-Swiss compatible or is proprietary. I suspect it is proprietary and won't work with Arca-Swiss camera plates. If that is the case just order a new tripod head clamp from RRS snd a small rectangular Area-Swiss compatible camera plate and you are good to go. Then your tripod will be useful long into the future and will probably outlast your present 40D.

I am sorry that I can't reliably answer whether you existing tripod clamp is Area-Swiss compatible or not, I spent some time trying to determine that on the web and came up dry. But the folks at RRS will know or if they don't, contact Gitzo itself. But I'd bet the folks at RRS can answer your question easily. Give them a call, they answer their phone in person, not by robot. 1-888-777-5557 or 1-805-528-6321 I have talked to them many times over the years

I included all the details in the email I sent to RRS. I presume they know the specs for the pin holes on the 40D. If not I can measure it for them.
    I'm not in the US so would prefer to work via email but a call is not out of the question if they do not reply. In the meantime I will look in to Acra-Swiss myself. there are stockists locally so I can take the head and camera with me to try.

The Canon does not get much use these days and the tripod plate (one of couple I have) lives attached to the camera. I only really use the camera for basic home mini studio shoots usually in portrait mode and mostly with a Sigma 105 macro lens which is fairly heavy and pulls the camera down and so causes the plate to slip. As a result I find myself trying to tighten the plate as much as physically possible and I am concerned about over tightening it. I thought adding a small hole would solve the problem.

Earlier today, somebody from a local club suggested I also look for a tripod collar. If I can find one that fits I should be able to get one locally quite cheap.

An Arca-Swiss compatible plate is robust and will not slip with a small 105mm macro lens on the camera. Nor with a 200mm lens. Just a vote for Arca_Swiss style clamps.

• z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins

Looks as it's only me - but I would drill that small hole.
    Come on guys - it's 40D

To be sure and safe use drill limiter.

D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    edited May 8, 2017

My first comment / post was made based on how I've previously polarised cams in their environment, but I've just dug out my 40D and there are also a couple of small holes in its baseplate that would provide additional anti -rotation possibilities for a home made device. The edge of the battery door aperture moulding is also worth considering - imo.

None of this is contradicting what's already been said - just a fyi ...

pp

edited May 9, 2017

RRS have replied, Quote "Gitzo heads utilize a proprietary design that would prevent any of our plates from working on them. In addition to that, we do not have a plate for the Canon 40D".

It is the presence of the other holes that let me think I might be able to add another. I just don't know if the base of the camera has a uniform thickness or if it is thicker only where the existing holes are. I also don't know if there is anything fragile at the bottom of the camera next to the bottom.

Well, if you do decide to drill another hole, I'd strongly suggest making a simple drilling jig - ie a bit of sheet metal with 2 holes in it - obviously at the correct distance apart - this could then be attached to the cam base via the 1/4 hole, and lined up etc, before actually drilling.

Apart from anything else re drilling the base, you'll end up with a metal pin in a plastic hole - depending on the accuracy of hole diameter / positioning etc, you'll have a potential wear scenario at this point.

pp

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

This link may be helpful:

Canon 40D deconstruct (video)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited May 10, 2017

I don't own any of the equipment mentioned, but I do wonder if a Gitzo to ARCA adapter (this is a fancy shim device):

Desmond DGZA-1 Gitzo to ARCA Compatible QR Plate Adapter for Tripod Head

... plus an ARCA compatible anti-rotation plate might work?:

Acratech Arca-Type Quick Release Plate for Canon 40D

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

thanks Ziggy.