Options

Water spot on my filter after a clean

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 2, 2005 in Technique
Just had my camera cleaned inside by the pro shop (he uses static brush) Came up well he said but there is a small water spot on the filter. Now water is one thing im carefull with as i dont open if there is any sign of a drizzle about buuut i now have a spot.

Can this be removed by any other method ? ie copperhill ?

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Try breathing on it (hot steamy breath) and clean with a microfiber cloth or maybe a cotton swab. If that doesn't get it, then try hitting it with the copper hill.

My guess is the breath/wipe will get it though. I always try the lowest impact method first and work my way up mwink.gif
    Humungus wrote:
    Just had my camera cleaned inside by the pro shop (he uses static brush) Came up well he said but there is a small water spot on the filter. Now water is one thing im carefull with as i dont open if there is any sign of a drizzle about buuut i now have a spot.

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Try breathing on it (hot steamy breath) and clean with a microfiber cloth or maybe a cotton swab. If that doesn't get it, then try hitting it with the copper hill.

My guess is the breath/wipe will get it though. I always try the lowest impact method first and work my way up mwink.gif
    This is the filter over the cmos i mean mate...inside the shutter.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Oh, if it is the sensor, then ya, copper hill it. That stuff works wonders.

Humungus wrote:
    This is the filter over the cmos i mean mate...inside the shutter.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Thanks shay...he didnt seem to think that copper hill would do the job. Said its like a water stain on a glass shower screen.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

If I understand your post, the water spot was on the screen before you took it in to be cleaned. Can you see this on your photos?

If you can't see it then I wouldn't worry about it. However if yoy can see it, try the eclipse, swab, cooper hill, etc method, you have nothing to loose.

The next question I have is that the guy in the pro shop told you about this spot, and said he didn't think the cooper hill method would work. Did he even try to clean it with any type of liquid, and swab? If not why not?

Good luck with this, and keep us posted.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Gus mentioned the guy was using a brush which I can understand why it wouldn't touch a water spot. You have to use a liquid for something like that. The brush method is more suited to standard dust and fibers and such.

Sam wrote:
    If I understand your post, the water spot was on the screen before you took it in to be cleaned. Can you see this on your photos?

If you can't see it then I wouldn't worry about it. However if yoy can see it, try the eclipse, swab, cooper hill, etc method, you have nothing to loose.

The next question I have is that the guy in the pro shop told you about this spot, and said he didn't think the cooper hill method would work. Did he even try to clean it with any type of liquid, and swab? If not why not?

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    Sam i really dont know why they dont use the copperhill method....we are 2 diff countries & i have never seen C/Hill kits for sale here nor do i find people using them.

When i say 'pro' shop im talking a shop that only deals in med/lge format...DSLR's & SLRfilm...paper...etc they repair the local media's gear not an 18 year old flogging point & shoots from a supermarket.

The spot looks very similar to dust but will not move with static brush at all. He said its a water mark thats all.

Its not a real worry as it only appears at f/10 or smaller & only when its against the sky. Im just wondering if anyone else has the issue.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Sam i really dont know why they dont use the copperhill method....we are 2 diff countries & i have never seen C/Hill kits for sale here nor do i find people using them.

When i say 'pro' shop im talking a shop that only deals in med/lge format...DSLR's & SLRfilm...paper...etc they repair the local media's gear not an 18 year old flogging point & shoots from a supermarket.

The spot looks very similar to dust but will not move with static brush at all. He said its a water mark thats all.

Its not a real worry as it only appears at f/10 or smaller & only when its against the sky. Im just wondering if anyone else has the issue.
    Gus,

I would buy, (I did buy) some eclipse cleaning liquid, and sensor swabs. I would at least give this a try. I hate to live with things than can be fixed.

Sam
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Just take off the lens, lock the mirror up, waggle your tongue around inside, grag the hem of your shirt and wipe it off. Spit is the universal solvent.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Gus,

I would buy, (I did buy) some eclipse cleaning liquid, and sensor swabs. I would at least give this a try. I hate to live with things than can be fixed.

Sam
    Maybe if it starts to annoy me sam i will try another shop (these guys were only about $40 for a full camera grease & oil change)

No way am i going to touch the insides...i make a 'bull in a china shop' look passive.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just take off the lens, lock the mirror up, waggle your tongue around inside, grag the hem of your shirt and wipe it off. Spit is the universal solvent.
    I do that all the time for the shutter but im gonna need gene simmons for the cmos filter.