Options

Fix Migration

daveahansendaveahansen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
Is it time to admit the migration process is flawed? With all the comments I'm reading, the answer is: Yes. A true professional will admit to this and take a time out to correct the process and start over...... doing it right. I thought I was a lone wolf with so many issues on migration till found this blog. Comments please.

Comments

• Options
    KarinaExPhanfareKarinaExPhanfare Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins

The migration itself worked well. Everything in my phanfare albums (except some dodgy file formats) totalling nearly 100,000 images and videos and all the text etc associated with them - has all come across - it took much of the easter weekend.

Yes we have some reorganising to do and that is made more stressful by Carbonites extremely short notice and 5 week time frame before we lose access to our phanfare accounts - but I cant fault Smugmug for taking us all on and doing all the behind the scenes stuff for us so speedily. Picture our situation if that had not been the case!

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

@daveahansen said:
    Is it time to admit the migration process is flawed? With all the comments I'm reading, the answer is: Yes. A true professional will admit to this and take a time out to correct the process and start over...... doing it right. I thought I was a lone wolf with so many issues on migration till found this blog. Comments please.

I'd love to know more about what is flawed and how we can help make things better for you. Would you describe some of the issues you're having?

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    fphotofphoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2017
    I tried to log into my phanfare account and realized of the transition to smugmug- I don't know if I'm the only one but there was no notification sent to my email or junk email. The last email from them is July 2016 confirming I made a payment. Basically all the memories 4-5 Years saved in phanfare is gone. Emails back and forth with SmugMug today state there is nothing that they can do. I would understand if I had notifications and ignored them but there is nothing in my inbox. Very sad to think I trusted them with my precious memories.
  • Options
    MikeLaurelMikeLaurel Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins

@fphoto said:
    I tried to log into my phanfare account and realized of the transition to smugmug- I don't know if I'm the only one but there was no notification sent to my email or junk email. The last email from them is July 2016 confirming I made a payment. Basically all the memories 4-5 Years saved in phanfare is gone. Emails back and forth with SmugMug today state there is nothing that they can do. I would understand if I had notifications and ignored them but there is nothing in my inbox. Very sad to think I trusted them with my precious memories.

Your only hope is to contact Carbonite. At this point, I don't know if they can do anything to help you or not. They kept Phanfare going for a while, but locked so you couldn't log in. Now the URLs don't work anymore and/or redirect to SmugMug. I'm guessing the servers have been shut down by now. If they can help you, my guess would be your option would be to pay for DVDs of your site, which can be expensive.

• Options
    stfncrlsnstfncrlsn Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    @fphoto were you able to get in contact with Carbonite? I chatted with a tech there via IM and they directed me to email the old support account. Just wondering how realistic it is for me to get all my files from 2004/5ish back. I'm so sad to think that I have lost them.