Photo Order

HughNicolayHughNicolay Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
My photos in galleries are all out of order after the transfer from Phanfare. My Phanfare order was custom manual, not file name, date, or anything like that. I may have done it by playing around with some global reordering command. It will take me weeks of labor o put my Smugmug travel logs in the order I want them, matching my old Phanfare order. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MikeLaurelMikeLaurel Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins

Offhand, I don't know that there's a way. Some people have said they took screen shots of all their Phanfare content so they can compare and adjust after the migration. Personally, I have a lot of content and don't have time to do screen shots. Most of my content is ordered by date. I think I'm just going to have to do the migration and deal with the result. I don't have many other options.

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins

Photo orders from Phanfare are not supported on SmugMug and you could currently only choose one of the different sort options available, e.g. by filename, date. In the organizer you can access the available sort options for any gallery via the drop down menu in the upper right. You can also click+hold on one or more selected photos to arrange them manually.

Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • KarinaExPhanfareKarinaExPhanfare Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins

I'm basically doing side by side comparisons - two browsers open on my desktop. Phanfare on one, SM on the other. Going album by album.
    Checking total photos in each to ensure nothing is missing.
    Then moving every photo and video back into my desired order.
    Keeping a list of videos I find that need to be rotated as there is no feature to do that. Also a couple with some really old format that I will need to convert and try again.
    I've done about 40,000 so far - working on it every weekend since Easter and most weeknights. Very worried I won't finish it by the May 26 deadline.
    Have had to put off a lot of other personal projects in order to achieve this by the deadline.

• HughNicolayHughNicolay Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Thank you fellow refuges. I hope SM doesn't sell out anytime soon. This is the downside of cloud computing. Venders can change and 'improve' their offerings at anytime. Then they raise rates
  • stevelewisstevelewis Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    I took screen shots of my Phanfare with their Album dates. Then in SmugMug I've been making folders by year, "2017", "2016" and find the SmugMug Galleries and drag them into their respective year and then order the Galleries in the Folder Year. That is the only way I seem to come close to ordering my new Galleries to how they look in Phanfare. Does anyone have a better idea? I'm still a little confused. When I make a new SmugMug Gallery I'd like the new Gallery to be on the top but it always gets created on the bottom of all the folders and galleries and then I have to drag it up. I just seem to be guessing through all of this. I'd really like to have a verbal conversation with someone who is reorganizing their galleries coming from Phanfare. Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it is. Let me know if anyone wants to talk. Through this forum I'll find a way to private message you my phone number. Also maybe SmugMug can do an Online Live Training where we can ask questions. That would be helpful. I think many of us are really struggling. Let me know who wants to collaborate and discuss ideas of the best way to do all of this.
  • KarinaExPhanfareKarinaExPhanfare Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins

@stevelewis said:
    I took screen shots of my Phanfare with their Album dates. Then in SmugMug I've been making folders by year, "2017", "2016" and find the SmugMug Galleries and drag them into their respective year and then order the Galleries in the Folder Year. That is the only way I seem to come close to ordering my new Galleries to how they look in Phanfare.

Yep that is exactly what I did when my migration was completed at the end of Easter weekend. Recreated all my annual folders and moving everything into them.

Then I have been doing the side by side comparisons ever since to rebuild my orders and stories. In my case my travel albums can contain photos from a minimum of 3 of my cameras plus photos other people have sent of me. So potentially 5 or 6 different "file name formats" - so sorting by file name first only gets me so far. Still a lot of clicking and dragging to get it all back to its original chronological state.

• darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins

@rainforest1155 said:
    Photo orders from Phanfare are not supported on SmugMug and you could currently only choose one of the different sort options available, e.g. by filename, date. In the organizer you can access the available sort options for any gallery via the drop down menu in the upper right. You can also click+hold on one or more selected photos to arrange them manually.

Huh. SmugMug has a SortAlbumImages method in its API. Seems to me that the migration tool could have saved the order of images in Phanfare (the order of images from GetAlbum contained in XML is in fact album order), and after album was done uploading, it could have resorted them according to the original Phanfare order.

Ah well, maybe put this down as an enhancement for Smugglr. Or maybe it already does this?

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

We looked into doing this, unfortunately there were some technical complexities with some inconsistent data on how Phanfare stored that sort order (it's not as simple as just an XML file with the order or a single database entry). We decided it was a worse experience to randomly copy the sort order of some galleries but not be able to do it on others and didn't want to set a false expectation that all your galleries would be sorted as they were on PF. By not importing the sort order you have an understanding of what happened, rather than some random behavior. I really wish we could have imported them in the same order but it would have taken extensive work on Phanfare to get their data in a place that could be migrated.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2017

Ah, I was wrong. GetAlbum does return original filenames (actually the full local path where files were uploaded, which is pretty ugly, but also potentially useful data), alongside Phanfare image IDs, in the order they appear on the site. So my metadata saving script just got a lot easier to write. Just need to dump XML for all the albums.

I don't know that I'll try to actually use the data to fix sort order on Phanfare, but it'll be nice to have.

Ugh. I just noticed that the Phanfare Mirror export tool doesn't save album order anywhere.

And that GetAlbum only contains Phanfare image IDs, not the original filenames (which is what Mirror saves), so there's no easy way for me to obtain the image order.

I guess I can iterate and grab the XML for each album, and then iterate through every image in each album so I have a record of the Phanfare ID -> real filename. Ugh, and I have to deal with sections. Oh fun. :-}

So yeah, I guess it was complicated. Still, I would've appreciated some or a majority of this data to be saved.