Missing Files After Phanfare Migration Complete.

2»

Comments

• KarinaExPhanfareKarinaExPhanfare Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins

Hmmm re the privacy settings - I made everything private the second the migration was complete over Easter.
    So I've only been moving private to private.

Could that also still be the cause ?

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

@KarinaExPhanfare said:
    Or is moving it all into a folder going to repeat the issue if its what you have said above re 're-indexing' ?

You should be fine. As the owner, you can still always see the collected photos even if the original gallery is private, so the re-indexing thing will only impact your visitors.

@KarinaExPhanfare said:
    So I've only been moving private to private. Could that also still be the cause ?

I dug in a bit deeper and as long as you're logged in, making something private won't impact you, it will only impact your visitors, which will slowly see those photos disappear (or re-appear) based on the Visibility of the gallery.

I believe the issue was just caused from deleting the Original photos. You can remove Collected images but I would recommend keeping your Originals. I thought I had posted here on DGrin to explain how we handle photos in multiple sub-sites but I can't seem to find the post nor is it in our Phanfare FAQ. I've asked our Phanfare team to update the FAQ to describe how sub-sites are recreated on SmugMug. But for those following...

How Photos in Multiple Sub-Sites are Handled
    When we find a photo that is in multiple Phanfare subsites we do the following:

• Migrate the photo into a gallery the first time we've seen that photo used. This becomes the "Original".
    • Create a Folder or appropriate galleries based on the various sub-sites found.
    • If the photo is used in multiple sub-sites, once an Original has been created, any time the photo is included in another sub-site, it gets "Collected" into a SmugMug gallery.

Collected photos are basically Virtual Copies of the Original. They always maintain the settings of the Original photo (shopping cart, visibility, sharing, etc). If the Original is deleted, the collected photo is removed. Collected photos are not duplicate copies of the photo -- they're just a reference to the original and can be displayed in multiple galleries across your SmugMug site.

You can read more about collected photos here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310).

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • MikeLaurelMikeLaurel Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins

@leftquark said:
    I thought I had posted here on DGrin to explain how we handle photos in multiple sub-sites but I can't seem to find the post nor is it in our Phanfare FAQ. I've asked our Phanfare team to update the FAQ to describe how sub-sites are recreated on SmugMug. But for those following...

How Photos in Multiple Sub-Sites are Handled
    When we find a photo that is in multiple Phanfare subsites we do the following:

• Migrate the photo into a gallery the first time we've seen that photo used. This becomes the "Original".
    • Create a Folder or appropriate galleries based on the various sub-sites found.
    • If the photo is used in multiple sub-sites, once an Original has been created, any time the photo is included in another sub-site, it gets "Collected" into a SmugMug gallery.

I wish I'd known that before my migration, as I would have changed a few more things on the Phanfare side before migrating...but I appreciate the explanation...it helps me as I try to figure out what the migration did.

Unfortunately the restoration of the "spare" subsite folders that I deleted in error thinking they were duplicates - has not fixed the situation and I am still left with a huge batch of empty folders and galleroes - that were the ones I had already checked and reordered. So essentially 3 weeks of my life was undone.
    I had to take myself away from Smug and Phanfare all week as my anxiety and blood pressure went through the roof and I should not be letting this stuff stress and upset me as much as it has.

So now I have just this weekend and next weekend to re do what I spent 3 whole weeks doing. Side by side comparisons and reuploading missing images and videos etc.

Re "collected photos". Does the original image have the arrow on it - or just the collected copies ? I think that may be what is causing confusion and potential deletion of the wrong thing with myself and others.

@KarinaExPhanfare said:
    Re "collected photos". Does the original image have the arrow on it - or just the collected copies ? I think that may be what is causing confusion and potential deletion of the wrong thing with myself and others.

Please do let us know if we can help with anything. This breaks my heart to hear :(

Collected photos have the arrow on it. The originals have no markings. Feels like that's something that would be useful - mark the original so you know there's collected images which may be impacted if you (accidentally or intentionally) delete the original. I'll take it back to the team for discussion.

dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Thanks LeftQuark.

I think I worked out what happened in the end. Back at Easter when my migration first happened and I was not yet aware that the subsites had all come over as collections - I had so many duplicate folders and galleries. So I created all my annual folders and moved all my folders and galleries into them - without taking notice of the fact that there were a mix of originals and collections. Then I moved all the "spares" down to the bottom of my organiser and got working on all my comparison work (again not noticing the difference between the ones with arrows and ones without). Once that was done - I merrily deleted all the "duplicates and spares" - not realising the majority of them were the originals.

Ana-Hero in Support was able to restore all the deleted folders and galleries and this afternoon I painstakingly went through everything restoring originals only back to their rightful folders. Its only my subsites that were affected - maybe 20,000 photos - luckily - not my entire load!! (As I think that may have broken me!)

Based on my final count there is nothing missing (other than the expected ones in the list - dodgy video files and .bmps - which are all listed and easy for me to convert and reupload later).

So tonight and tomorrow I will work again in side by side comparison against my phanfare albums to get those restored ones back in my order and all should be good again in my world. A pain to redo it all again but all part of the learning curve here.
    Appreciate your support during my stressout!!

:)

• RbureauRbureau Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    Right now I am not a happy customer, since the 1st transfer on April 16, i was missing 1500 pictures and it is May 23 and nothing happen since then!!! I don't have videos, all jpg formats very straight forward albums with subfolders. I understand that after the transfer I need to sort my pictures manually but for me to do this I will need my phanfare account, May 28 is coming very soon. Am I the only one with problems and/or need access to our phanfare account after May 28?

@Rbureau said:
    Right now I am not a happy customer, since the 1st transfer on April 16, i was missing 1500 pictures and it is May 23 and nothing happen since then!!!

Our Engineers are working as fast as we can to get the photos imported. We hope to have that done in the next day or two and you'll receive an email when they're complete. Even with the deadline looming, we'll make sure to have all your photos imported before anything happens to them, though I realize it doesn't give you much time to compare the sort order. The team understands the concern and is working as fast as we can.

dGrin Afficionado

Rbureau - take as many screen shots of your phanfare sites as you can and save the to a folder on your desk top - it will help you when trying to resort everything into your original order.

• RbureauRbureau Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins

Karina - To make a short story, I am away in vacation so I have only an IPAD, there is no way for me to do print screens and any way this is a lot of work don't you find., Phanfare should have given longer time to have access to your account, a lot of people have years and years of pictures on their site. Yesterday I finally got all my missing pictures and yes I passed all night long to sort them manually, nearly finish.... Thank you anyway for the suggestion, how is it going for you?

Ohhhh I do feel for you with the terrible timing :( and agree 1000% that Phanfare/Carbonite should have given people more time - a lot more notice. I have pretty much been working on this non stop since easter - even taking 2 full weeks off work unpaid. Then having to redo about 20% of the work as I made a pretty stupid deletion booboo. I had roughly 80,000 images going back more than 50 years. So a lot of sleepless nights and stress and still sitting here now into the night going. But getting angrier and angrier as the phanfare libaray keeps freezing up with a 997 error and logging out and back in again - like every 5 minutes.

I would not even be close to finishing if I had not taken time off work - so I really feel for those who have not been able to do that - or who like yourself are actually away and not near your main tools.

I am pulling an all nighter tonight as I have 2 appointments tomorrow (Sunday in Aus) so wont be near my puter at the point that the deadline looms. So needing to basically finish it all in this sitting - no matter how much my spine is protecting!

Best of luck with yours.

• BHunsakerBHunsaker Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins

My files showed up on the 27th. I waited a bit but never received a notification that the transfer was complete. Rather than enjoying the sunshine of the long weekend it was spent renaming all my galleries with a date prefix and filing them in folders by year. That's what I wanted and am ready for Phanfare to fade away and move on to a new adventure. Let's see what new capabilities Smugmug provides.