compact flash card 7 D

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Looking forward to buy a bigger compact flash card ..I already have 5 of them but they are 2, and 4 GB ...looking for something for a 16 GB I guess .
Any good ones out there worth buying ?????
I don't do movies mostly working on project where I sometimes have to take lots of pictures ( 1600 ) per hour

Ziggy????

:photo

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

My first choice would be the Lexar 16GB Professional 1066x. A nice second choice would be the Delkin 16GB 700x. Fast writing speeds in both.

Steve

Website
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 25, 2017

Both the

Lexar Professional 1066x 16GB VPG-65 and the

SanDisk Extreme PRO 16GB 160MB/s UDMA 7 VPG-65

... get good reports with the Canon 7D body (original). Camera buffer clearing speeds are very nice with these 7D/card combinations. (Users reporting write speeds on the Canon 7D of around 95 MB/s starting speed.) Edit: I misspoke: The Canon 7D yields around 80MB/s write speeds on the fastest CF cards. It is the Canon 5D Mark III which can approach, and occasionally exceed 100MB/s (ish) write speeds with the fastest CF cards.

Note that with a UDMA 7 card you should use a UDMA 7 card reader on your computer, as many users report file corruption using older card readers (without UDMA 7 capability).

A reminder: All flash cards slow down as you get close to their capacity. I try not to ever load flash cards beyond around 80 percent. Also, cards become unstable if you erase/delete individual images during a shoot. Always format/initialize cards in the camera before a shoot.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Thank you guys....
    Really appreciate the info

:photo
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

seems like CF cards are slowly being discontinued for camera slots even though they were better than SD cards

• BlackRockBlackRock Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    Personally I wouldn't buy any more CF cards. CF card is on the way out. SD cards have caught up on capacity & speed in most situations.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

right, all the electronics are now using SD or micro SD

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 19, 2017

@BlackRock said:
    Personally I wouldn't buy any more CF cards. CF card is on the way out. SD cards have caught up on capacity & speed in most situations.

@Brett1000 said:
    right, all the electronics are now using SD or micro SD

Uuuuum, it entirely depends upon the device and your application for the device, as well as certain mixes of the device and card. Manufacturer ratings are often exaggerated and/or misleading. Empirical testing is the only reliable measure for transfer speed.

For instance, if you can trust this site: https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com (at least the site looks safe to look at)

When they tested the Canon 5D Mark IV and numerous cards, 139 cards published, the results are still conclusively better for the fastest CF cards, and not by a small margin:

The fastest CF card tested (of 25 CF cards) for write speeds was the Lexar Professional 1066x 128GB, and an average write speed of 112.1 MB/s.

The fastest SD card tested (of 114 SD cards) for write speeds was the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 64GB, and an average write speed of 79.0 MB/s.

With the large file sizes of the 5D Mark IV that's a difference you can "feel" when you really need to clear the shot buffer. There is still life left in the CF specification, so use them when you need them.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums