Mini Challenge 247 - Windows

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited May 31, 2017 in The Dgrin Challenges

Windows - I'm always taking photos of architectural details - Windows are a nice detail to photograph - small enough that you don't have to worry too much about perspective. The photo can be of the window, taken through the window from inside or from outside. But I prefer it to be of the window.

This mini-challenge will run until June 6th, 2017. Noon EDT (Eastern Daylight Time of the USA

OUR UNOFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
Give each image you enter a title.
Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

I posted this once and it disappeared. So I will try again - I'll add the examples later

A few examples:

A church in my home town which was built by making cement blocks on site - 14 different styles

Bullseye glass in Cornwall

Tudor Hall - 18th century brick building in my home town.

Edam

An attic window in Plymouth N.C.

Another one from Cornwall

Bermuda

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
Tagged:

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

1 Key West Florida hotel

2 Suzanne Neville downtown London, England

3 Castillo de San Cristobal, San Juan, Puerto Rico

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2017
    1. The Pflug Mansion in northeast Washington, abandoned since 1921. Windows in the front seem to be still square.

1. Windows of the Coquille River Lighthouse, Oregon

3, St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church - Chinese Camp, Ca. View from the interior through one of the windows to the graveyard next to the church.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Oh - I forgot about shop windows - good one.

Love the seagull on the lighthouse chimney

• SunnyCloudSunnyCloud Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    > @grandmaR said:
    > Oh - I forgot about shop windows - good one.
    >
    > Love the seagull on the lighthouse chimney

...just a seagull? So pity! :)
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Good theme, GrandmaR! Here are my entries:

1) Double window view - Macy's on O'Farrell in San Francisco

2) 15th century view (Jacques Coeur house, Bourges, France)

3) Not very inviting (Treviso, Italy)

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme Grandma, but for me another problem "what to choose from". I have too many door and window pictures :/
    So I decided to limit the selection to shots taken in 2017 (still too many choices, but so be it)

Here's my entries:

Radio Kootwijk

Old and new

Buddha

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@pegelli : Pieter, I especially like that first shot of yours!

Better to have too many choices rather than too few!!

• TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

Hmmm, isn't that the cupola from Galeries Lafayette in Paris? Would that be considered a window?

I was thinking about whether to include
    I

which is the dome of the old Florida capitol in Tallhassee), but decided I had enough examples. So anything that someone wants to include as a window can be submitted. Whether I pick it as a winner is another question entirely.

• FujijitsuFujijitsu Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins

edited May 23, 2017

There must be more of us out there with window shots! It would be great to see more entries.

I have a feeling that the mini-challenges get forgotten because of the (dumb) layout of the forum under Vanilla.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

I'll add a couple to play along, but please don't consider for the challenge. My next few weeks are going to be hectic, preparing for, and traveling.

Albers Bros. Feed Mill in Tacoma WA W/ reflection of Glass Museum hot shop.

Virginia City Montana

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

@sarasphotos said:
    There must be more of us out there with window shots! It would be great to see more entries.

Thank you for a great theme for a mini, grandmaR! I am hoping to share some photos in early June but have a crazy schedule just now. Fun to see what others have posted here.

• AceRphAceRph Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited June 1, 2017

Just went through some of my photos, and I am surprised how many feature windows! Here are a few chosen for this mini.

1) Window in Basel, Switzerland

2) Window on the Past (Old Swedish Home at Skansen Open Air Museum in Stockholm, Sweden)

3) Reflections in Window of Gott's Roadside (Napa, California)

The mini will end Tuesday. I can tell I will have a hard time judging, but you can make it even harder :)

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

This has been a really interesting challenge with lots of really great ideas. I realized how interesting windows as subjects, and how rarely I photograph them.

An image of Mount Assiniboine (the Canadian Matterhorn) from a helicopter window.

A window in a derilict building at Finn Slough, Richmond, British Columbia. I shot this last week, because this challenge got me looking at windows as subjects. There are a few more shots at https://dave-gillespie.smugmug.com/Daves-Favourites/Finn-Slough/

A portal (technically a window?) in the Basilica del Voto Nacional in Quito, Ecuador.

@DavidRGillespie I think it's great that the challenge got you to go out and shoot! That is one thing that I like about these challenges - they get me to think about new subject matter.

The challenge is now closed - I will try to pick some winners, and put them up ASAP. I say try, because you have made it hard for me (always a good thing)