Vino tinto

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

Fine capture. Are you sure, it's a "vino tinto man"? You cann't conclude from that finger. There is also blanco, cava and champagne on the sign. :)

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Nice conversion Richard

Rags
  • TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2017

Very Nice. The ligh on the left guy is superb :)

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Thanks all for commenting. Much appreciated.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Terrific shot. I remember ordering vino tinto in Madrid, a few moons ago.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

While I really like this image, it has a tremendous lot going for it, something troubled me which I identified as the amount of light space in the lower right and the dark region of the lower left. The top and sides are fine, and that's where the real story is; an engaging moment between the bartender and patrons.

With that in mind, I suggest the following crop, which is almost to a 16:9 ratio:

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 19, 2017

I like the crop better too. There are four directional lines pointing to the Vino Tinto focus point. The two customers' eyes, the bartender's eyes plus his pointed finger. Add one more for the viewer of the photo looking at the same point in the photo. The light on the front of the face of the nearer customer balances better now with the light on the sign, without the somewhat distracting light on the end of the bar. This is a winner of a shot, Richard.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited May 19, 2017

Thanks, Ziggy and David. Getting rid of the bright bar edge does help to focus attention on the interaction, which is the main story. While there's no detail to speak of in the customer's jacket, I did like the dark mass in the lower left, but I'd say that on balance, the crop is an improvement.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice shot, excellent conversion and handling of light. I also think the crop is an improvement.

Cheers, Cristóbal. Glad you liked it.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I really like this shot Richard - I've come back to it several times. I feel as though I'm there in the room. ...and it makes me really long to be there instead of sitting here at my desk. Ugh. I also like the crop.

BTW, did the name of the Category change when I was sleeping??

Many thanks, Sara.

Yes, but you're the only person who seems to have noticed.

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins

I thought the name was "Street and PJ".

I really like this shot. Lighting and processing to do it justice are outstanding. I am going to be a slight dissenter on the crop. It does what others like, which is to focus the attention more on the interaction. But something in my viewing likes the original aspect ratio and the corner with the entire counter being included and well lit and processed. I think there is some subconscious balance with the bright light on the bottom right that balances the lighting on the glasses on the top.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2017

I noticed... Street and PJ (always thought PJ meant pajamas...) was changed after some extremely long and contentious discussions a few years ago. We then migrated to documentary, I have to say I am very happy to see street back in the title for this thread.

Looking back at the shot, I really like how the bar tender's face is framed between the hanging wine glasses.

Thanks, Rainbow and Cristóbal.

I, for one, don't miss the tedious arguments, but I do miss some of the outstanding pics we used to see here. Don't know that the name matters much, but I'm hoping the change improves our search listings some. I don't think it can do any harm.