Impressions of a Town: Lindau, Germany

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited April 22, 2017 in Journeys

I'm finally getting around to editing my pictures from last summer (!) so I thought I'd post a mini-travelog of a short trip a girlfriend and I made. Not so dramatic and unusual as Awais' stunning Pakistan pictures but perhaps a fun documentary.

Lindau is situated about two hours from where I live and is a popular day-tripper stop for tourists in the area of Bodensee (Lake Constance). The picturesque old town is situated on an island in the lake. Unfortunately the weather was not great when we were there so I had to struggle to get any life into the photos.

1) The harbor's lighthouse and lion are the town's landmarks

2) The promenade is a lovely place to sit or stroll on a sunny day

3) Lindavia fountain

4) The back side of the old town hall (Altes Rathaus)

5) Front of the old town hall

6) There are many cute shops - this one had amusing window displays

7) Enjoying a beer at cocktail hour

8) Evening view of the harbor

9) Someone's having a party!

10) Lots of interesting signage
a)

b)

11) and a few cool doors
a)

b)

c)

12) cool architectural details
a)

b)

c)

13) and lots of narrow streets

14) one can't let the afternoon pass with out coffee and Apfel Strudel!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited April 22, 2017

Looks like a great place to stay and when you are in Germany Apfel Strudel is more than essential. Your photos gives a fine impression of the qualities of the town and the usual conflicts between a historical center and car parking (no. 4). Regarding no. 9. It cannot be a wild party. I am not an expert on latin, but I think the text on the wall says: Here reign justice and devotion (or mercy).

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2017

@Jørgen_Bjerring: thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

...Since the party in No. 9 was in the town hall, I'm pretty sure it wasn't wild. ;)

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

A lovely town well photographed. Interesting details.

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Thank you Awais, I appreciate your comments!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Thanks for the tour. Lots of character here. The town hall is lovely, especially the front view. I don't know whether it's the way you framed the shots or the reality of the place but there is a refreshing lack of ugly advertising signs. Nicely done.

@Richard said:
    Thanks for the tour. Lots of character here. The town hall is lovely, especially the front view. I don't know whether it's the way you framed the shots or the reality of the place but there is a refreshing lack of ugly advertising signs. Nicely done.

Thanks Richard, although I did a bit of cropping, the old town center of Lindau is relatively "ugly-free". I imagine there are pretty strict regulations - after all the town fathers want to keep it appealing for the tons of tourists that visit every year.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

A very nice photo tour. I am especially attracted to #8, you did a fine job capturing twilight and the electric light of the clock. I also like the B&W conversion and detail of #12b.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

A very fine photo tour. I like #8, you did a nice job exposing for the twilight and artificial light of the clock. I also like the B&W conversion and details of 12b.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Thank you Phil, for taking the time to comment. #8 is an extremely photogenic spot - the lighthouse being the main landmark of the town. The weather was not so stunning during our short visit; that evening the sky was rather ugly and you could barely even see the Alps so I'm pleased that I was able to get anything out of that shot - and even more so that you liked it!

• TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

I love it !!! Magnifique set !!!

• captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins

Those figurines made me chuckle and the lighthouse looks very nice.

Thanks for stopping by!

• dragandjordjevicdragandjordjevic Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins

I always enjoyed the ritual with coffee and cake in German cafes, schwarzwälder, strudel you name it. Looks like an interesting town with nice architecture. Harbor stands out definitely #8 imo is well captured indeed. Too bad the weather did not serve you any better. With those blown white skies, bw conversion was a good choice.

@dragandjordjevic said:
    I always enjoyed the ritual with coffee and cake in German cafes, schwarzwälder, strudel you name it. Looks like an interesting town with nice architecture. Harbor stands out definitely #8 imo is well captured indeed. Too bad the weather did not serve you any better. With those blown white skies, bw conversion was a good choice.

Thanks so much for commenting! The weather was really crappy that day and I tried to eke out as much as possible.