Hello out there

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

Hello out there. I will soon join you.

Today – June 6, 2017 – the young woodpeckers came partly out of the nesthole to see the world and get feeded.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 6, 2017

These are wonderful Jørgen. My favorite is #5, and I love that you can see the wings of the insect in #12.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited June 6, 2017

@denisegoldberg said:
    These are wonderful Jorgen. My favorite is #5, and I love that you can see the wings of the insect in #12.

Many thanks Denise. I hope to have the luck to catch them when they leave the nest.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

What a great series, Jørgen!

How did you get such close ups?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 6, 2017

@pathfinder said:

Many thanks. I have followed the woodpeckers for a longer period and they seem to have got used to me. I can stand 5-6 meters from the nest tree without camouflage. They don't pay attention to my presens not even when the high speed shutter is running. I used my Canon EOS 7D II and EF 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS II USM. The nest tree stands close to the border of the forest and the light around the hole was changing all the time. Therefore I used f5.6 and ISO 1600 and accepted the outcoming shutter speed.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 6, 2017

How fortunate to have that kind of acceptance by the woodpeckers - really a lovely story!

As an alternative to shooting in Av, and letting the shutter speed vary, one might try to put the camera in Manual mode, set your shutter speed and Aperture, and set the ISO to Auto. IF your exposure compensation was normal in Av mode, you might find Manual Mode with Auto ISO works very nicely. I know we think that in Manual Mode with a 7D MK ii that this exposure will not be altered, but when set in Manual Mode with Auto ISO, WITH EXPOSURE COMP set when the camera was in Av mode, it will vary the ISO to get the proper exposure including + and - exposure compensation, with the chosen aperture and shutter speed. Try it, you might find you like it. If the ISO begins to get where you don't want it, just alter your shutter speed or aperture to correct it.

I use this set up a lot now. Be aware, you cannot just your Exposure comp dial in Manual Mode - it won't move. But if you switch to Av mode, you CAN set your Exposure compensation + or -, and it will be retained when you switch back to Manual Mode. Weird, but that's the way it works...

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@pathfinder said:
    How fortunate to have that kind of acceptance by the woodpeckers - really a lovely story!

As an alternative to shooting in Av, and letting the shutter speed vary, one might try to put the camera in Manual mode, set your shutter speed and Aperture, and set the ISO to Auto. IF your exposure compensation was normal in Av mode, you might find Manual Mode with Auto ISO works very nicely. I know we think that in Manual Mode with a 7D MK ii that this exposure will not be altered, but when set in Manual Mode with Auto ISO, WITH EXPOSURE COMP set when the camera was in Av mode, it will vary the ISO to get the proper exposure including + and - exposure compensation, with the chosen aperture and shutter speed. Try it, you might find you like it. If the ISO begins to get where you don't want it, just alter your shutter speed or aperture to correct it.

I use this set up a lot now.

Thanks a lot. I will try it.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful! Bravo!

@Stumblebum said:
    Wonderful! Bravo!

Many thanks Taz.

My hope was to see the chicks leave the nest and yesterday - June 8 - afternoon there was fine feeding activity by the hole. Today at 8:11 there was zero activity. D... it :s:'(:#

• jcharmonjcharmon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pathfinder said:

Many thanks. I have followed the woodpeckers for a longer period and they seem to have got used to me. I can stand 5-6 meters from the nest tree without camouflage. They don't pay attention to my presens not even when the high speed shutter is running. I used my Canon EOS 7D II and EF 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS II USM. The nest tree stands close to the border of the forest and the light around the hole was changing all the time. Therefore I used f5.6 and ISO 1600 and accepted the outcoming shutter speed.

I'm just curious: Is there any way of seeing the technical details (e.g., EXIF) of photos posted here as one can do in Smugmug?
    Also, it took me a while to figure out how to properly quote a prior message for reply. The software for this forum isn't as friendly for that as most others I use.

@jcharmon said:

I'm just curious: Is there any way of seeing the technical details (e.g., EXIF) of photos posted here as one can do in Smugmug?
    Also, it took me a while to figure out how to properly quote a prior message for reply. The software for this forum isn't as friendly for that as most others I use.

I cann't answer your question about the exif etc. May be you should ask the question in a discussion-thread. You are right. The way to get familiar with dgrin is a little rocky :o