I need suggestions for getting sales

harveycatharveycat Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
Hi! I'm new here. I started trying to sell my photos on SmugMug on May 4. I've had quite a few hits but no sales. Any suggestions? I call my "business" HarveyCat Photography. I have my website set up to put my name at the bottom right corner of my photos. I was wondering if you all thought it would be better to not have a print mark on my photos and/or to use my name in the name of my business. I've had a couple of people tell me they couldn't find the price sheet. Any suggestions for making it more easily accessible?
Tagged:

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 6, 2017

It is very difficult to sell photos online just by publishing a web site. You need to generate traffic to your site from outside of the web site and you need to give your viewers a reason to buy by showing only your best work on your site.

You might be interested in the advice from @Cygnus Studios in this thread - https://dgrin.com/discussion/261958/help-needed-licensing-and-sales. He is answering a different question but his answers should give you an introduction to business concerns related to photography.

I recommend that you step back and look at your site with a business eye. Right now it looks (to me) like a photo sharing site, not a commercial venture.

You might want to reconsider your watermark. A dense watermark splashed across the center of an image will usually lead me to close the site; it is not a pleasant viewing experience.

Why are you offering photo sizes for printing that require your photos to be cropped?

On the printmark question - I won't purchase a photo with a printmark on it. If I buy a photo to hang on my wall, I don't want the photographers name on it. Yes, I know, that's just me, but...

You haven't published a price sheet on your site. Currently the only way for a viewer to see the prices of your photos is to click to buy a photo, then click a type/size. If you want a price sheet then you can add a page to your site to publish your prices.

• harveycatharveycat Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    Thanks for your input. I changed my watermark to a much more transparent one. I'm a little confused about the photo sizing comment. It was my understanding from the SmugMug webinars that I should upload my full size photo and then allow customers to crop it according to the size picture they wanted. Do you recommend or prefer to offer only sizes that fit your photos? I have been trying to generate traffic by sharing on Facebook, entering keywords to make my site show up on Goggle, etc. What other suggestions do you have. I have a chronic illness and am not able to go out and do scheduled photo shoots.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 6, 2017

@harveycat said:
    I'm a little confused about the photo sizing comment. It was my understanding from the SmugMug webinars that I should upload my full size photo and then allow customers to crop it according to the size picture they wanted. Do you recommend or prefer to offer only sizes that fit your photos? I have been trying to generate traffic by sharing on Facebook, entering keywords to make my site show up on Goggle, etc. What other suggestions do you have.

When you offer sizes that don't fit your photos you cause confusion for your customers. Take a look at one of your photos in the non-fitting sizes. Do you really think cropping the photo creates the desired output?

Did you read the thread I pointed you to (above)? There is some good information in that thread.

Just publishing a web site does not drive sales. Sharing on Facebook is not enough of an incentive either. If you want to sell photos you need to look at this as a business. You need to showcase only your best photos on your site - although even that won't likely drive sales. You also need to focus on a marketing plan, working to determine how best to sell your work.

You changed the transparency of your watermark but it still obstructs your photos. As I mentioned earlier, I find a watermark across the center of a photo to be distracting; it usually triggers me to leave the site.

Your new pricelist opens in a separate browser tab. That's another trigger to me to close a site. If your viewer wants to open a page in a separate window they can request that.

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2017

I completely agree with what Denise has said so far.

The watermark smack dab in the center of the image is incredibly distracting and will discourage sales. Put it at the bottom of the image and make sure to set opacity around 40%.

The point of a watermark is not to get in the way of the image. It in no way will stop people from stealing your images no matter where it is, but it will stop the honest people from stealing it (to a point).

In order to protect your images, you need to file your copyrights and then aggressively defend those rights.

Now onto the website itself. Beyond looking completely like a photo sharing site, the various colors used on different pages screams amateur. Pick a color and stick with it. Turn off the sharing option. Why would anyone want to buy an image that they can share for free?

Unlock your header. When viewers scroll down the header gets in the way.

Remove the smugmug brand off your site.

The background flag blocks some text making it very difficult to read.

Do not worry about price sheets. When someone likes a photo, let them put it in the checkout.

If you feel like you absolutely need one, then make a separate page for just the prices and options.

As far as driving traffic to your website, this one is incredibly hard to do. Once you get your site squared away, then you'll want to determine who your potential customers will be. You're offering several types of photography. This seems nice to many photographers starting out, but more often than not tends to confuse viewers.

Are you a wildlife, landscape, astro photographer, or what? Narrowing down the focus will allow you to market your site easier and cheaper. Doesn't mean that you have to be only 1 type of photographer, you just need to be known as specializing in something. You've heard the term jack of all trades and master of none? Not the best business model.

Once you've determined what type of photographer you are and where your potential customers are, you need to develop a marketing strategy. Building a website and passing out business cards is nice, but won't keep you in business long.

You may need to add images to one of the zillion art photography sale sites, or you may wish to take out ads in magazines that your potential customers are subscribing to. This kind of info is what you will determine in your business plan.

Owning a camera and taking pretty pictures is not a business. That just means that you enjoy photography.

If you wish to make money, start with a business plan. If you do the plan correctly, that will answer 90% of your questions. Also keep in mind that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Steve

Website
  • harveycatharveycat Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    Thanks for your suggestions, Denise and Cygnus. I appreciate your input.