Sony a9 announced

Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins

Looks like Sony listened to what pros were saying they wanted/needed.

Highlights from the press release:

Sony’s New α9 Camera Revolutionizes the Professional Imaging Market

Groundbreaking Full-frame Mirrorless Camera Delivers Unmatched Speed, Versatility & Usability:

•World’s First (1) full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP (2) resolution
•Blackout-Free Continuous Shooting(3) at up to 20fps(4) for up to 241 RAW(5)/ 362 JPEG(6) images
•Silent(7), Vibration-free shooting at speeds up to 1/32,000 sec(8)
•693 point focal plane phase detection AF points with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second
•Extensive professional features including Ethernet port for file transfer, Dual SD card slots and extended battery life
•5-Axis in-body image stabilization with a 5.0 step(9) shutter speed advantage

Here's a link to the full press release on SonyAlphaRumors.com:
sonyalpharumors.com/full-sony-a9-press-release/

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,788 moderator

Thanks, Bryan.

This is a model I am looking at very carefully. Probably best to wait until the professional reviewers get their hands on one but Sony has done a pretty exemplary job of producing high-quality sensors with unique and desirable qualities. If the camera system tests well then this could be a game changer.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins

My thought when reading those specs is that if it delivers they just got rid of a major downfall of EVF's (that during continuous shooting they're essentially slide shows) and greatly improved the usefulness of an electronic shutter. On Saturday night I shot an event with an EVF & OVF side by side and I can't emphasize enough how much this could help. While I can capture a solid shot with the EVF it takes me out of the action making it harder to follow during bursts potentially hurting the composition of the later shots in the burst.

This can also really cut down on your situational awareness. With more interactive acts I currently switch to the rear LCD to make sure that I don't get in the way. This in turn hurts the accuracy that I can compose with & check focus.

• Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins

In general, the electronic viewfinder is a godsend for folks like me with poor eyesight, especially with Sony's zoom while focusing feature and focus peaking. Since I shoot mostly landscape, the blackout period doesn't really bother me, but I know Sony has been working on it for a while. The blackout on my a7rii is way less than on the original a7r, and my a6300 is better than the a7rii. Maybe they really did solve it with the a9.

• TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins
    I have a Sony A7II and a Fujifilm X-T2 that I like very much. However, at this price, I wonder if I would not buy the new Fujifilm medium format GFX 50S, for a little more money ??? It is worth comparing the two.
  • BlackRockBlackRock Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    A9 is a sports, nature & wild life camera.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,788 moderator

.> @BlackRock said:

A9 is a sports, nature & wild life camera.

From the reviews so far it looks like the Wedding and Event market might be a good use for the Sony Alpha 9/a9, as well as "daylight" sports, action and many wildlife situations.

In low light and when you need a camera with better battery life, a conventional high-end dSLR with passive phase-detect autofocus is potentially more viable, as well as potential money savings on an entire system if the appropriate used lenses, extenders, flashes, etc are available used, as with Canon and Nikon systems.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

It is nice to read test reviews, but until it's in the real world under day to day conditions you never really know. Now that it is on the street, it won't be long for any flaws to be discovered. From what little I've seen and heard the video is amazing, but that is kind of expected from Sony. In broad daylight, I think that this one is going to be one serious camera. Low light? No one seems to be entirely thrilled.

I still haven't seen enough from Sony to make me want to run out and buy one. It is nice to see that they are listening to their customers and this camera proves that point. A few more tweaks here and there, they might just make a lot of photographers switch over from the big boys.

@Eldon Shea said:
    In general, the electronic viewfinder is a godsend

I personally believe that we are all going to be getting used to the electric viewfinder much sooner rather than later. Mirrorless systems are here to stay and taking over a huge percentage of the market.

@Tasmanian said:
    I have a Sony A7II and a Fujifilm X-T2 that I like very much. However, at this price, I wonder if I would not buy the new Fujifilm medium format GFX 50S, for a little more money ??? It is worth comparing the two.

Now there is a toss up. Kind of depends on what you do and why you do it. I can tell you from experience that once you go medium format, you fall in love.

Steve

Website
  • BlackRockBlackRock Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    > @"Eldon Shea" said:
    > In general, the electronic viewfinder is a godsend for folks like me with poor eyesight, especially with Sony's zoom while focusing feature and focus peaking.

Totally.

Back in the days I shot 35mm & 120 films, the tiny LCD on the camera body shoulder never bothered me; now my eyesight is very weak, EVF is a major help.
  • TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2017

@Cygnus Studios said:
    It is nice to read test reviews, but until it's in the real world under day to day conditions you never really know. Now that it is on the street, it won't be long for any flaws to be discovered. From what little I've seen and heard the video is amazing, but that is kind of expected from Sony. In broad daylight, I think that this one is going to be one serious camera. Low light? No one seems to be entirely thrilled.

I still haven't seen enough from Sony to make me want to run out and buy one. It is nice to see that they are listening to their customers and this camera proves that point. A few more tweaks here and there, they might just make a lot of photographers switch over from the big boys.

@Eldon Shea said:
    In general, the electronic viewfinder is a godsend

I personally believe that we are all going to be getting used to the electric viewfinder much sooner rather than later. Mirrorless systems are here to stay and taking over a huge percentage of the market.

@Tasmanian said:

Now there is a toss up. Kind of depends on what you do and why you do it. I can tell you from experience that once you go medium format, you fall in love.

I know !!! I had a kit hasselblad 500 CM with three lenses (Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.8, 50mm f4 and 150mm f4) and I regret to have sold them ... :'(:'(