Options

APC PowerChute software/hardware question

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
edited December 3, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I just came home with a big box with a UPS in it. There is just one CD for installation, which supposedly also includes some sort of APC-partnered firewall product. (????)

Anyone know if that firewall automatically installs, or if that is optional with some type of custom install (I hope so!).

Any problems with PowerChute playing nice or not with Windows SP2 or ZoneAlarm firewalls?

Thanks!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

Any problems with PowerChute playing nice or not with Windows SP2 or ZoneAlarm firewalls?
    I don't know about zone alarm ( that's why my router has a builtin firewall) but I havn't had any issues with SP2
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D
    http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    canderson wrote:
    I don't know about zone alarm ( that's why my router has a builtin firewall) but I havn't had any issues with SP2
    Thanks. I'm a n00b with UPS's. I just get paranoid when I see a simple product (mice, keyboards, UPS etc., ) being packaged with a 3rd party software that doesn't add anything of value. And in this case a firewall (?)

I have read some reviews on their other products, and can't dig up anything except Powerchute and hardware reviews. And those don't mention anything about a firewall, but APC's website does.

I also just read that WIN XP has native support for battery backups via USB, without installing PowerChute. That's pretty cool, but I think I want to see the little APC popup telling me more detailed info. All our lines are overhead for 20 miles in every direction, and unreliable power at that. I've never had a UPS, and am darn lucky I've never lost anything. We habitually unplug everything of value if there's a hint of thunder.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    I use an APC UPS and run PowerChute with Windows XP SP2. Haven't seen any problems, and the only annoyance is that PowerChute displays a splash screen every time my PC boots, but that's really not a big deal.

I don't remember if mine came with firewall software, but I'm quite sure I would not have installed it.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2005
    update
    We will soon find out more. The thing is charging up now (16 hours? Yikes). The very cold cold monitor (ViewSonic 23") just arrived via FedEx, and that's going to need tp gradually warm up before I yank it out of the box.

I also need to make more room on this desk for a second tower, etc.!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Anyone know if that firewall automatically installs,

Not only that, but if you set your cd player to sdrawkcab, it plays Paul Is Dead lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    APC BE750BB unit was D.O.A. I tried charging it up for 30 hours (& yes, I did connect the battery wires), and it couldn't hold a charge. That, or the charging system couldn't deliver the voltage. Damn quality control!

Picked up another tonight. Charging now. Ugh!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I just came home with a big box with a UPS in it. There is just one CD for installation, which supposedly also includes some sort of APC-partnered firewall product. (????)

Bizzare...

The only thing I could think of is that it might be that you can use the UPS as a spike-remover for ethernet/DSL/... in which case a firewall might make some sense.

If it's a software only firewall, from a company you've never heard of, packaged 'free' with a UPS, then I guess you've just got yourself another coaster....

Most UPSs seem to just talk straight to Windows, but it's perfectly normal for UPSs to ship with drivers so that they can warn their host computer if the power is failing.

(Oh yes, and when your cleaner unplugs them, they make a loud wailing noise)

Other than that, they tend to do what they say on the box (in my experience, but I've only dealt with small ones)

Oh yeah, they're heavy brutes aren't they...

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 2, 2005
    Maybe I am just paranoid, but unless I am sitting in front of my computer, it is asleep or turned off. No exceptions.

As a result, I do not depend of software to turn my computer off in the event of a power failure. Too many bad things have happened to my computers over the years for me to trust leaving them on all the time - especially on a DSL or Cable modum line. Like I said, I see too many black helicopters floating around.........
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Like I said, I see too many black helicopters floating around.........
    I never see those black copters, but I know they're there!

I will also turn the unit to OFF, and then unplug the thing if we're leaving. I don't like to keep any machine running, unless its a pain to turn back on in half an hour's time.

Replacement UPS (same model) powered up, and was fully charged from the factory. No alarms except when unplugged. So far, so good.

I've got the UPS plugged in the machine now, but I'm only using the power surge side for now. I just got the new machine up, and am still in configuration mode. I don't have any programs or ISP on it just yet. It's loud (4 fans) and it's black, with a cool blue light on the front! The 23" monitor is nice, but getting used to XP's quirks is annoying me.

I'll probably try installing the PowerChute 1.4 software Saturday, and see if that play nice with the machine. For now (and for quite a while I think) I'm on the old WIN95 machine on dial up, so I can stay connected. Getting the cable guys over here, wiring the house, and getting the broadband cable modem up and running could take many weeks, if not months.

Job one is to send in the rebates from the hardware purchases.

EDIT & UPDATE: Powerchute software and hardware working great. The PC dialog popup is annoying, but well designed. There was no firewall on the installation CD, as stated at their website. Actually, their instructions and their website have a lot to be desired. Many inaccuracies and ommissions. What else is new.

One of these days I'll get gutsy and yank the plug out of the wall to see what happens. That'll be fun.
    My Smugmug